“Wonderful”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I forget how good this hotel is. I haven't visited for a couple of years but saw a good deal and stayed overnight with my mother. We were blessed with beautiful weather and left the hotel feeling completely chilled out.

The rooms are spacious and light. The staff are excellent, so polite and willing to help. The ambience is calming and we love the spa. We were sad to leave but I don't think it will be too long before we are back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank freerthanyou
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your continued custom to The St David's Hotel & Spa. It is a pleasure to read your review and I am delighted to hear you continue to enjoy our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Andreas M. Maszczyk

Write a ReviewReviews (3,951)

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Visited Wales from 7-9th July for our 2nd wedding anniversary break away and was very pleased. Very welcoming as soon as entered hotel ... Our bags were taken from as we were checking in, we had a deluxe room. When telling the hotel we were there for our anniversary they put a sweet message on a slate with chocolates and a bottle of fizz. Amazing breakfast on two days-one of the days was sunny so Sat outside and was beautiful. had room on top floor.. beautiful views. Lovely room, spacious, Sony dab radio :) molten brown bathroom goodies . Had a bliss of a stay. spa is amazing...Jacuzzi beds are divine. Would definately come back. thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for such and amazing review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us here at The St David's Hotel & Spa, and I am thrilled to hear that we were able to help celebrate your anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming your back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed on a Sunday night for a treat. We managed to get a room on the third floor for £89. So for the price I am happy with the experience. But this is by no means a 5 Star hotel. I have stayed in excellent 4 Stars in both Wales and London. This wasn't even close. I would say it's a good 3 Star.

As others have pointed out, the rooms are tired and jaded. We didn't have robes in our wardrobe as promised (didn't matter but it is oversights like this that let it down).

We could only swim 5-6 as my daughter is 10 (you can also take kids in pool 11:30 but that was before we checked in and after checkout time) I don't mind that. We were also told that children were only allowed in the main pool - not the jacuzzi bits. We abided by this instruction - shame no one else did. There were kids jumping in the jacuzzi - it wasn't policed at all.

We walked into Cardiff Bay for dinner - loads of fab choices. Came back to the hotel and took drinks from the bar to our room upstairs to save on the room service surcharges.

It's a nice hotel and I would go back but I wouldn't pay a penny over what we did. I didn't mind the £15 parking. Cardiff is a City and is to be expected. The carpark was pretty full though. Not sure what occurs if you can't get in.

I hope they restore it back to 4/5 star glory. It's in a great location.

Stayed: July 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your overall stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked in on Thursday, stayed until Monday, and could not fault this hotel. Iconic in its position on the edge of Cardiff Bay, room was clean, not in any way tired or requiring a refurb in my view.Excellent view of bay. We did nt use the spa but it seemed to be popular with other guests! Like other Cardiff hotels, there is the usual car parking issue: but there is a large council pay/display which alwats had space, and for 24 hour parking cost the same as hotel. Breakfast was exceptional: first time I ve had really good scrambed egg off a hot buffet! Concerige service also highly recommended! Can highly recommend this hotel, but, as always, look for good deals!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Bay view: some rooms have balconies if you like thar kind of thing...!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Your review was a pleasure to read thank you for taking the time to write it. I am delighted to read the concierge team were able to help, I will pass on your kind words.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The St David's Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Ok here we go:-

Reception in Spa - rude, aggressive and unhelpful. If I described my view fully it could be abusive.

Reception in hotel - helpful but ruled by spa staff.

Facilities in spa - very limited, only one relaxation/quiet area with 6 beds. Seating area where tea and coffee available but very busy and again limited seating. Limited seats around pool too all had towels books etc on them. Overall not enough room to relax or chill out.

Pools/jacuzzi/sauna - one part of pool closed off. So everyone again in limited space. No steam room!

Wave restaurant - food and presentation was lovely ( hence score of 3). Slightly disorganised service but we got there.

Treatment - had the Polynesian spa treatment, was nice and relaxing and I enjoyed it. Much needed after experience of reception earlier.

So overall disappointed with first contact and attitude, 5 star spa should be 5 star welcome. Some staff looked uncomfortable with the attitudes of others. Facilities not 5 star either.

Would we return - only if there was an amazing offer priced low enough so we could ignore the other issues.

Stayed: July 2014

I would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am glad to read you enjoyed your treatments in the Marine Spa, however it is disappointing to hear the welcome did not live up to your expectations. Your further comments will be discussed with the team and the appropriate action will be taken.

I do hope we welcome you back to St David’s shortly.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

way to expensive and no way a 5 star rooms need to be better looked after such a shame cracking location .carpet worn and room not clean staff not helpfull .i was very dissapointed because i paid a lot for the room and had no breakfast with it whoever runs the hotel needs a good look at it otherwise i think it wil be downgraded to a 4 star or worse.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew D

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Prior to arrival we received an email from Principal Hayely offering three levels of upgrade. We decided to upgrade by one step to include complimentary welsh cakes and fizz as it was our 9th Wedding Anniversary. Only one room was ready of the two we booked when we arrived but in fairness we arrived around 11am, well before the check in time of 3pm. The receptionist gave both rooms a complimentary upgrade! This was a lovely surprise. We left all of our cases in the first room available to make use of the spa facilities that are available for use both all day on your date of check in and all day on the date of check out. The spa is lovely, loungers, Jacuzzi, pool, sauna. The changing rooms are lovely and offer cubicles if you’re a little shy of undressing in public. There are robes and slippers for use in the spa aswel as in the rooms. Upon check in we were told the fizz and welshcakes would be with us by 3pm. When we returned from the spa at 3pm they hadn't arrived so we contacted reception who said they were running a little late with the trays but they were on their way. We took around 2 hours to get ready to go into the Bay for the evening and the fizz we were hoping to have a little toast with before we left still hadn't arrived in either rooms. We called downstairs again, we were met with apologies and were told they were still suffering delays but they were on their way. Needless to say by the time we checked out the following day the elusive fizz and welshcakes had still not arrived. Whilst we were using the Sauna a lady gave us some tips about the hotel, she said there was a café called Waves on the 1st floor where you could go after using the Spa for complimentary tea, coffee and juices. So we went for a look and were met with a miserable little man who after asking us abruptly if he could help us, looked perplexed and said there were no refreshments there, but there is a juice bar downstairs. He then followed us out of the room for a short way.

The rooms themselves were not as luxurious as i had expected, in fact they were pretty basic. There was complimentary water in the rooms but it was warm as there aren't any fridges in the rooms. We had a private balcony which had lovely views of The Bay and Bristol Channel, it was a gloriously sunny day and after dragging two chairs from inside we sat on the balcony to take in the views. It would have been nice to have had some chairs already outside. The following day it had been raining and as we were on the second floor the balcony was unusable, 5 floors of rusty drops of rain were falling from the balconies above and splashing on you. We were offered breakfast at check in at a cost of £12 which went up to £18.50 if you decided you wanted it on the day. We took a short stroll over to the local Wetherspoons and had a breakfast there for £4.99. I don’t normally expect the earth from hotels, but then I have never stayed 5* before. I have stayed in 3* and 4* hotels that have wiped the floor with the rooms at this hotel. I was so disappointed. The location and views are fantastic and so is what I used of the Spa and this must be what the hotel’s 5* rating is based on. I’m not in a hurry to go back and would rather make a journey of a few hours to other 4* hotels with spa’s I have stayed in

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mrs P

Thank you for your review I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience in our Marine Spa. Although I am disappointed to read there were a few issues with your stay I can advise that the team will look into the comments and take the necessary actions to improve.

We have fridges available on request and our housekeeping team would be happy to provide them for you, subject to availability.

Thank you again for the review we look forward to welcoming you back to St David's.