“Spa not 5 star”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We did not stay in the hotel but spent a day at the spa. What a disappointment. Pool area is poorly maintained with ripped ceiling and dirty patches. Children swimming underwater in the narrow water spout pool even though they should not even be in there so not a chance to relax. Very crowded in the swimming pool. Faded plastic plants dotted around just look cheap. Locker keys have no number so it's hunt the locker to get changed. Shower grouting and doors dirty. Shower is press the button system for water every 30 seconds or so, like a council pool. Mix up with computer on spa treatment booking so was not able to receive pre-booked treatment. All in all this spa is in need of a major overhaul. This is not a 5 star experience. What a shame as location is great and it could be amazing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennie P
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review on your spa day. I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Andreas M Maszczyk

Write a ReviewReviews (4,024)

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my Girlfriend came down to Cardiff for a random visit. We booked this hotel because it overlooks the water.
When we got outside the hotel, my car broke down.
The staff at the desk couldn't be more helpful. Gave me a number for a local garage. And to my surprise, they upgraded to the best room because they hadn't finished cleaning the other rooms.
I was over the moon for this. All the staff are amazing and so was the breakfast in the morning.
Would highly recommend to anyone who is looking to stay in Cardiff

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for leaving such great feedback, the team here will be delighted. I am elated to hear that staff members were able to help you in such a time of need.

Thank you again for leaving an amazing review, I look forward to welcoming you back to The St David's Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here for one night as a 21st birthday present from boyfriend and it was honestly lovely. booked the dine & dream package which included a standard room, dinner for 2 (to the value of £30pp) breakfast and full use of the spa (massages ect not included) room was lovely, clean and spacious, perfect view of the docks and we had a balcony! Spa was also great, love the waterfall section although it does look bigger in pictures it's still worth it! Only downfall was we seemed to come at the wrong time as a few families with children were splashing around when we trying to relax but they soon left so not a problem. Dinner was good, stayed on a Sunday so assume we went by the Sunday menu, not a lot of option for dine & dream guests but wasn't disappointed with our choice of roast chicken. Overall great hotel, worth the money and prefect location. Staff are also amazing! X

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for leaving such a fantastic review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us at The St David's Hotel & Spa. I am glad to hear our staff looking after you were amazing they will be encouraged by your words.

Thank you again for leaving this delightful review.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights to experience the UK Powerboat racing event - this luxury hotel over looked Cardiff Bay, guest service was faultless- better than excellent, very friendly, they even managed to remove an oil stain from my wife's silk dress before dinner, took them 10 minutes!! Chef cooked the most delicious succulent Welsh lamb cutlets I've ever tasted. Rooms were spacious, beds were size of football pitch - they even have own brand bottled water -courtesy placed on bed side table in the evening. The coffee was Lilly - Italian and freshly brewed. Very quiet peaceful location - views to die for. I will definitely go back as soon as I can !! Andreas the GM leads a top top team , congratulations!

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your First Class review of our Hotel. Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

The St David's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was my absolute favourite hotel in Wales, have some fabulous memories of being here with my other half - hence he treated me to a weekend here back in April and we got engaged on the balcony as the sun was going down - beautiful! However it was overshadowed by the room we were given and the general experience of being there. The bath had hair left in it, the leather chair was torn and shabby as was the dressing table, the TV did not work and there were cigarette butts on the balcony I had to clean up myself. We went down to the spa which was not a great experience either, In the jacuzzi you could feel the scum on the tiles where it had not been cleaned in a long time and also along the silver steps leading out of the spa pool, rust had started to appear on the walls and the ceilin and I felt very dirty leaving the pool, couldnt wait to get in the shower and get clean (not how you expect to feel after leaving a 'spa') I was really upset to see how much the standards had dropped here as I had visited the hotel around 7-10 times previously and so emailed the hotel manager to express my thoughts on return - all I got back was an apology, no offer of a complimentary meal on next visit or even complimentary stay (even though I had photos evidencing the above). Clearly being a loyal guest gets you no where these days, they didnt even congratulate me on my engagement! We have not returned since and sadly probably will not in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky R

Thank you for your constructive feedback which will be discussed with our Management Team. I can advise that certain areas of the hotel are currently being refurbished and we hope you choose to return on a future occasion to experience our ongoing investment.

I am disappointed to hear no one congratulated you on the day but on behalf of St David's I would like to congratulate you on your engagement and wish you all the best for the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and got a great deal on the room which was large and spacious. The air conditioning did seen to struggle with the heat however.
The Cardiff Bay Area has lots to offer for food so we opted not to pay the £18 per person charge at the hotel and eat out.
The one negative was that children weren't allowed in the pool until 11.30 which seemed silly seeing as check out was 11 and it was empty pretty much from 9am onwards

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dave1101

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

You are more than welcome to use the spa facilities the day you check-in and the whole day after you check-out.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

The St David's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are a good size and modern but the balcony was inaccessible and dirty. I have been here twice recently and on both occasions the restaurant wasn't coping and the bar was woefully understaffed and had that sticky floor and table feeling. The pool is a good size and in a nice environment but all in all it's not great for its price and 5* status.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business