“Not 5 * hotel!”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Not 5 * hotel!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The staff were lovely couldnt do enough for you, but on the other hand.. We had booked a junior suite and when we arrived there was damp on the carpet.. The air con was working but got cold so tried to put the heating on but didnt work. The 'double bed' was clearly two single mattress's pushed together.
I found the food was very expensive for what you actually recieved one example I ordered the hand cut home made chips which cost £4 when they arrived I had 8 chips! Also had breakfast delivered to room both morning which was a nice touch but wasn't enough to fill you and deffently not worth the money.
Didn't expect the parking to be so expensive either paid £30 for park for two days on top of what we paid so came to bit of a shock.
Overall i found the hotel tired looking and not worth how much we paid. Probably wouldn't recommend.. Plus side we bumped into lauren pope from the only way is Essex! :)

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sophiebrooks
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014

I am unable to find your reservation on our system therefore please contact my Guest Relations Manager directly to enable us to investigate your concerns further.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Raumati
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This place was fantastic. We sat out on the balcony and drank wine and watched the sun go down. The room was beautifully decorated and breakfast was fabulous but the most amazing thing was the bed. When you are travelling, let's face it sleep is paramount. Your surroundings are great, but your bed is what really matters. Ours was a super king with seriously soft amazing sheets and the most comfortable of anywhere. Thank you St David's - slept like a log. Great.

Room Tip: Great bed! Best of any hotel anywhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tania_raumati
Thank you so much for your amazing review which is much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back to St David's in the near future.

The St David's Hotel & Spa
Salisbury
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Much has already been said about the rooms, ours was typical of other reviews: very tired and in need of a refresh, cracked sink in the bathroom, damaged grouting and tiles too. No fridge, careless mistakes with housekeeping eg dirty glasses not replaced, glass rings on table top not cleaned etc. Other mistakes included no milk being brought to our table for breakfast and a promised parking space that 'disappeared' (it's crazy that there isn't enough parking space for hotel guests, let along day spa members and wedding guests etc, and more crazy the amount they expect you to pay for it!). Staff all friendly and helpful. My major issue was the spa. The pool, jacuzzi and other water features were only accessible via steep, vertical metal ladders, more usually found at the deep end of swimming pools. There were no gentle steps that are usually found in such facilities to allow those with mobility issues into anything, extremely poor planning and disappointing. Similar issues with cracked and broken tiles were all around the spa area. Hotel definitely not worthy of 5 stars, how they've got them is beyond me.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheOriginalRobochick
Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for your disappointment. It is not clear whether you brought your concerns to a member of the team during your stay to enable us to attempt to rectify them for you where we could, however if you contact myself or my Guest Relations Manager directly we would be happy to investigate your concerns further.

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned from a three day stay (06.08.14 - 08.08.14) and I cannot fault the impeccable service provided by Jayde on reception, Ed the new concierge and the lovely Canadian lady in the restaurant for these reasons our stay was faultless however the points made by other reviewers regarding the rooms being unremarkable and the outside needing fresh paint are entirely accurate. Where the hotel wins points is on its convenient location which is unrivalled and in its informality and friendliness making all feel welcome without the stuffiness and plumb in the mouth of some high star rated establishments. On the whole our stay was enjoyable and I would return. Apart from the views, great staff, good food, an hours free Wi-Fi every few hours, white Linen company toiletries in your room, there is the convenience of robes and slippers and direct lift access to the spa avoiding those embarrassing trecks through a busy hotel in your swimwear. On the negative side, the TV is off centre and at a weird angle to the bed. The sail separating the balconies was at an angle which impeded the view and housekeeping kept removing the room card disabling the electric which made our special request for a fridge useless as it had been switched off all day. The biggest negative was the spa treatment, lack of ambience, waiting room informality and by far the worst spa treatment I have ever had. I struggle to see how it got 5 bubble rating. In short the pre-spa area was full with lots of people waiting for treatments and felt rather like a doctors waiting room whilst they call your name out. My mum and I opted for the couples room so that we could have treatment together. The room was cold and the beds directly under air conditioning meaning I was grateful to be covered up in towels. In addition to the room being too chilly to be nearly naked the oils used were also cold and the treatment "boring" with massage techniques that lacked imagination and were repetitive . This was the only disappointment of the break for me as on every other count we were treated very well by staff determined to make me and my family feel very well. On a final note I hadn't realised that there isn't a steam room but that was my oversight.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a suite if you can afford the extra! Junior Suites not that remarkable but the ot...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Singlemumtraveller
Thank you for your review and your top score which is much appreciated. Your kind words have been passed on to the team, and in particular Jayde, Ed and Lisa.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your massage and I trust that you brought this to someone's attention at the time to enable us to address the issue. Your further comments have also been noted.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future to witness our ongoing investment.

The St David's Hotel & Spa
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Visited last year and so much went wrong!
On our second visit we were allocated one of the upgraded rooms in contrast to one of the 'tired' rooms which we had last time. Room and views are excellent.

Breakfast buffet was satisfactory and was as expected. Staff very helpful.

Big issue was no hot water for morning showers! We waited and waited then was advised that the hot water was flowing again. Indeed it was, but only for the few seconds it took to get into the shower. Cold showers reminded me why I never joined the SAS! Eventually left without showering!
One tip :- if you want to access the Spa do not leave it until 3 days before to book. Clearly you need to book well in advance!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Edward_847
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you your review. I am sorry to read that you had no hot water and I do hope you can except my apology. In regards of our Marnie Spa, treatments are recommended to be booked in advance to guarantee an appointment as some days we can be fully booked.

Porthmadog, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked a weekend at the St Davids hotel which boast being a 5 star??
On arrival we were directed into the hotel`s car park and greeted by a very polite member of staff whom took charge of our car. (we had not asked for car parking on booking) thought nothing of it as we assumed paying £350+ for 2 nights would have included the parking on checking out they added £30 for the 2 nights parking! not happy to say the least....please check when you book.

Staff could not be faulted, most polite.

Bar...nice and relaxed atmosphere with great views over the bay. served a decent bar meal at a reasonable price however we had a bottle of champagne which was wrongly over charged by £15 this was corrected by the bar staff when paying....check your bill for errors.

The charge of £350+ did not include breakfast which had an additional charge of £20 per head
we ate at the weatherspoons a mere 5 minutes walk and had an excellent breakfast for under £10 for both.

Room carpet had a stain which caught my eye on entering. the bathroom had a ceramic tile replaced which was not evenly fixed and had different coloured grout (new against old grout).
the limited amount of tea / coffee could be much better and more quantity would have been appreciated after a long drive to reach Cardiff!

Spa / swimming pool area overall good but whilst lying in the jaccuzzi looking at the ceiling, rust could be seen which must have been there for quite some time...also noted in the shower cubicles some had a decent shampoo / conditioner / body wash dispenser other had a bog standard commercial dispenser.....not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Consider the review before considering the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HILLHOPPER46
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that certain elements during your stay did not meet your expectations during your stay. Thank you for your kind comments in regards of our friendly service.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location and views but found the hotel a bit disappointing. For a 5 star hotel I would have expected better quality of room and the furnishings to be better. My room felt a bit tired and the outside of the hotel looked as if it could do with some fresh paint. Not planning to return.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank woody_clare
Thank you for your review I have noted you comments. I am sorry that your expectations were not met in regards of the room.