“Great experience”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 18 November 2009

St Davids hotel and spa in Cardiff is a beautiful place situated in the bay with great views. It is very close to the Mermaid Quay which is a place full of varities of restaurants. The hotel has an attached spa, barbar and saloon, restaurant and bar. It has very good parking spaces and is also accessible easily via public transport. i stay there for 2 days- weekend- with my partner. The room was beautiful and very clean. All facilities were avialable. The room service was very good and the staff at the reception were very friendly. They made sure that everything needed for our stay was available and was upto their standards. The budiling is so amazing that it forms a backdrop of many news channels. The prices are a bit high but is good for spending a romantic weekend or sometime away with your loved ones.

Stayed: December 2007
J_Hammond94, manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I was particularly delighted to read your comments regarding our staff, and these have been passed on to the teams.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of being of service to you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The St. David's Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2009

I treated my husband to a surprise overnight stay for his birthday. From start to finish we had excellent service and I am left wondering if we stayed at the same hotel at the previous reviewers!

Check in reception staff were superb and the valet offered to park our car, which we declined as we only had overnight bags to carry. Our room was of a good standard with a side view of Cardiff Bay. The only thing we could fault was a safety deposit box which refused to function, although we did not bother to report this until check-out as we were only staying one night.

We had a lovely lunch in Tides bar and then decided to use the facilities of the Spa. We decided to use the dedicated lift to the Spa, collect our towels and robes from the very helpful Spa staff and return to our room to change. It did not really bother us that the robes were not in the room to start off with, although to some people this is clearly a problem. We could not fault the Spa reception staff. The swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room were all up to expectations.

We had dinner in Tides restaurant and the staff were absolutely wonderful - from the Maitre D. to the lovely waitress who was so friendly - didn't get her name but she was wearing glasses and has a young baby. The food was excellent.

Breakfast we found to be of a good standard. We were seated very quickly and there were plenty of waiting staff.

All in all we really enjoyed our overnight stay. I am at a loss to understand the disparity in reviews for this hotel, but we found our whole experience to be wonderful from start to finish.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
J_Hammond94, manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your feedback and your five star rating following your stay with us.

I was absolutely delighted with your comments and you can be assured that I have shared these with all of my team. It is only by receiving such feedback that we know about the things we are doing well and where we can improve.

I very much hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cardiff and to The St David's Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 9 November 2009

Tides was awful - we are both vegetarian and the selection was pretty limited, however, we thougth we'd give it a go. The Rissotto was so bad it was unedible and the Chocolate Tart was unbreakable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
J_Hammond94, Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor, I am sorry we didn't live up to expectations during your visit to the Restaurant.

I can assure you that the issues raised have been discussed with the relevant personnel and I am currently in the process of recruiting a new Executive Chef.

I do hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to demonstrate that we can deliver so much better.

Reviewed 7 November 2009

A great location, overlooking Cardiff Bay and the staff are very helpful. But - you have to trek down to the spa to get a bathrobe, there is no mini-bar or fridge in the room, the food is dull and very average. The bread deserves a special mention - the cheapest, doughiest bread rolls and toast I have ever tasted. I didn't sample the cooked breakfast but on that basis I can only guess at the quality of bacon and sausages they are using. Dinner is expensive and not very impressive. The room was comfortable but unremarkable (with some stains on the carpet) and the A/C was more of a fan - we couldn't detect any actual cooling of the air being circulated. The spa changing rooms are obviously not checked regularly - there were used bath robes all over the place and it was in need of cleaning when I used the pool. Motorists beware - as I was leaving a traffic warden was ticketing cars parked on double yellows and on the small roundabout outside, this must be a public highway and not, as it would seem, a part of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to St David’s Hotel & Spa.

I was extremely disappointed to read your comments and I do apologise for your dissatisfaction on this occasion. I can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board and I am working hard to implement changes going forward.

I note your comments regarding car parking. The roundabout outside the hotel is council owned and should not be parked upon. There is parking space either within the hotel car park or council pay and display car park, both directly opposite the hotel.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of being of service to again in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2009

Bad check in,rude receptionist. Hotel dirty with poor levels of customer service throughout hotel. Spa dirty,staff not helpfull.Therapist very rude.she short timed my treatment which was over priced.Resturant was chaos for breakfast,cold food again with poor service. Cocktails and bar very expensive.what should have been a luxury weekend treat turned out to be a overpriced youth hostel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the hotel. I am very sorry that you left the hotel less than satisfied with the service you received.

I can assure you that your feedback will be discussed with the relevant personnel and corrective action taken. I will also be working very hard over the next few months to implement improvements to our services going forward.

Once again, I apologise for your dissatisfaction on this occasion.

Reviewed 6 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel on the 31st of October 2009, with my girlfriend.

I paid £159, for the Shopping Package, which was £20 cheaper than just booking an Executive Room with breakfast on it's own. For that the hotel provided taxis to and from the main shopping area in Cardiff, a £20 House of Fraiser gift card, and two free drinks.

The hotel is really easy to find, and is very impressive as you arrive. The reception area is spotless, and the reception staff and concierge were great.

As we'd arrived before the room was ready we went shopping straight away. The Taxi dropped us in the center of Cardiff, and when we needed to be picked up I just called the concierge and the taxi arrived within minutes.

The rooms are arranged around a central atrium, and I was impressed by the size of the room (318), and the balcony, although with it being October we couldn't really use it. The bathroom is a nice big size, well equipped, with robes provided, etc... The room was starting to look a bit tired, and a few fittings in the bathroom needed tightening, The shower head in particular sprayed water into the rest of the bathroom, from a fine spray to a stream if moved. Maybe a refresh is due?

The Spa and gym are well equipped, with views out over the bay from the cardio machines, nice touch. The free weights were off to one side in their own section, a good idea. I think this area along with the reception are the strong points of the hotel.

After walking round to Merchant's Quay for a couple of drinks in the evening we returned to the hotel bar. It has table service, which is a nice touch, we were served straight away, although we did see a couple having to wait a bit longer than comfortable before they were served.

Bedtime, the bed was really comfy, slightly flat pillows, and no noise from outside intruded. No, the noise from the AC did that. It's one of those things you don't notice until you've switched off the TV, and settled down. Even when I switched it to "0" fan speed it still made noise, not an even smooth white noise, more a midrange rumble. So not the quality sleep I'd been looking forward to after a busy weekend.

Went to breakfast the next morning, buffet style, and another disappointment. No hash browns, the bacon was far from crispy, the coffee tasted a touch too weak for filter coffee, I expected more from a top line hotel.

So overall I'd have to say the staff on reception and the concierge were great, a real credit, and the spa and gym are the attraction. However the rooms need to be refreshed, and although we may have caught the breakfast on an off day... There shouldn't really be off days in a hotel like this.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your visit to St David’s Hotel & Spa.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at breakfast, and I can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board.

Your kind comments about our staff are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the teams.

We always welcome constructive feedback from our guests regarding their experience of our hotel, whether positive or negative, as my management team find it to be an invaluable tool for catering for our customers’ expectations and continually improving our standards of product and service.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the St David’s Hotel & Spa on your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 5 November 2009

Staff were helpful and room was fine, but overall the hotel's a bit non-descript. It's not 5 star luxury.
My husband paid £10 extra one night for the 'romantic package' which made us laugh as it consisted of 4 small strawberries, some jellies and a fluffly rug thing which I assume was part of the the package as it disappeared the next night! Mind you the complimentary cocktails were a bonus and very well prepared.
I wouldn't recommend treating someone to a spa break here - the spa's tired. If you want a spa break come to Jersey - we have really luxurious spas!
Cardiff Bay was great and we got a reasonable deal price wise and on that basis I'd recommend the hotel - but don't pay full price, you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
J_Hammond94, Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read your comments and I can only apologise that we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay with us.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the Spa and I am working hard to make improvements going forward.

We always openly welcome constructive feedback from our guests regarding their experience of the hotel, whether positive or negative, as my management team find it an invaluable tool for meeting and exceeding our customers’ expectations and continually improving our standards of product and service.

I hope that you will consider staying at St David’s Hotel & Spa should you visit Cardiff again.