“Perfect for Exploring Cardiff”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I’ve stayed at this hotel previously so I already knew beforehand what I was going to get and - overall - it didn’t disappoint.

The Hilton Cardiff is located in the city center right by Cardiff Castle, the City Hall, the city’s main pedestrianized shopping street, and also the main shopping mall. It is located within 10 minutes’ walk from the main (central) train station. Honestly: What more can one expect from a city hotel with respect to location? The location of the Hilton Cardiff is simply perfect.

Even though I had booked a simple standard guest room, I was happy with its size. The king-size bed couldn’t have been more comfortable. When making reservations I specifically asked for a room away from busy Kingsway Street and was satisfied when I realized that my room was overlooking the Friary, a small pedestrian street. I thought that the room was very quiet at night - even though the hotel must have been full as it seemed.

Though I cannot really say anything particularly bad about the room, I still think that it looked somehow dated or at least a bit unfashionable. But I guess the Hilton is not really trying to attract the more fashionable crowd but rather the more elegant, genteel and posh people and the style of the room might reflect this.

The bathroom was very large for a hotel in Europe and there was a bath tub as well as a huge separate walk in shower area. Only minor complaint is that there’s no good place in the shower stall to put shampoo bottles, soap and so on. I couldn’t find fault with the cleanliness of the bedroom or the bathroom. Housekeeping was obviously doing a good job.

A major reason I’ve booked this hotel was that it has a large indoor swimming pool. Though changing rooms and shower cubicles weren’t perfectly clean, it was overall a nice place. The water temperature was pretty high; I guess around 27 degrees Celsius. The pool is ideal for lane swimming. However when several people (say 4 or 5) are trying to do this at the same time it feels crowded and you then realize that the length of the pool is great but not its width. I remember that the last time I’ve stayed at this property I have seen a highly appreciated swimsuit dryer in the changing room. But this time around it wasn’t there anymore.

The not too big hotel bar called Metropole Lounge is located across from reception. There was no entertainment on offer, not even a TV screen if I remember correctly. In general it somehow lacked atmosphere, possibly because it was located next to the main entrance and the reception. The bartenders however were helpful and friendly. There’s another bar at this Hilton but I am not sure whether it was open.

The breakfast buffet was disappointing for an upmarket hotel. Yes, there was a chef who prepared scrambled or fried eggs. But apart from that I thought food was adequate at best. The breakfast room itself, the Razzi restaurant, is nice especially if you can sit in the separate area with the glass front.

Though I cannot rally fault the hotel for anything specific, I can only award it four TripAdvisor points.

Would I stay at the Hilton Cardiff again? It depends. For a good room rate, say below 100 ₤, probably yes. But I guess there are more modern hotels out there in Cardiff to be explored. I think I will check out the Novotel or the Park Plaza next time I’m in Cardiff.

1  Thank Voyager
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to write a great review of our hotel and facilities.

Your feedback and comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Cardiff Hilton.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Cardiff

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I try to stay in this hotel every time I’m in Cardiff on business.

Pros,
-Great location for shopping, restaurants and tourist stuff ( Cardiff Castle is directly across the road and Millennium stadium is just a short walk away ).
-Extremely friendly and helpful staff.
-Great breakfast buffet.
-Food in the restaurant and bar is pretty good.
-Large bedrooms and spacious bathrooms. I especially like the large shower area.
-Comfortable beds.
-Great gym and pool.

Cons,
-Valet parking is expensive at £20 a day.
-In order to hand over your car to the valet you have to park in front of the hotel. This can prove difficult sometimes as parking area is pretty small.
-Air-conditioning in some of the rooms I’ve stayed in has been below par.
-Wi-Fi is not free ( except in the lobby ), and it’s expensive!!. I think a hotel as “prestigious” as the Hilton should be providing free Wi-Fi to its guests.

Over all I pretty happy with it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stimpyone
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel following your recent visit to Cardiff.

I was very pleased to read your postive comments regarding our hotel and this is something that I will share with the team.

May I also thank you for your constructive feedback so that we can further improve our service and standards to our guests.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I like staying here when I visit Cardiff. It is an easy walk from Cardiff Central rail station and close to anything you want to do in Cardiff. The staff is very friendly and accommodating from posting packages for me to just saying hello. Breakfast is very good with the choice between the Full English to the more classical European cereals, meats, and cheeses. No free wifi, but I am finding that harder and harder to find.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cardiff once again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for one night and loved it. Our room had a great view over Cardiff Castle. The room itself was spacious and very comfortable, we both had a very good nights sleep. The concierge was very helpful and gave us fantastic tips on where to eat and drink outside of the hotel.
We didn't have breakfast but it did look pretty good..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for your fabulous review of the Hilton Cardiff.

It was really great to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will share your postive comments with all of the team.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have stayed at the Hilton many a time and is one of the reasons why I chose this hotel for a birthday treat for my friend for a spa day.It was a toss up between the Hilton and the St David's but as I had good experiences in the past I chose the Hilton, ( just to say i had not used the spa facilities when I have stayed there). The first problem I encountered was whilst on holiday out of Europe I had a call to cancel the day as they informed me their beauty rooms were being refurbished, so it was up to myself to rearrange work commitments and various calls to my friend for her to rearrange work commitments and then various calls back to the hotel- this cost me at least £80 in calls but anyway rearranged and rebooked for the 7th September . On turning up on this day we were met by not very helpful staff, no offer of fruit juice or any beverages and had to ask for everything ie where is the gym, changing rooms and can we please have a robe but anyway carried on. Firstly went to the gym which was ok a bit outdated but again put that to one side, then we went into the steam room which was not just dirtybut absolutely discusting, there was slime on the floor and a terrible stench which wwas being disguised by a eucalyptus scent ,the steam was laying dormant on the seats with no draining facility, but anyway thought maybe the sauna would be more pleasing, how wrong was I , on opening the door there was green slime on the floor with hairs under the seats, looked around for a ladle to pour water on the coals , not one available only a plastic cup so went to fill cup with water and on pouring onto the coals had to move hand away very quickly, we vacated straight away, then went to sit in the Jacuzzi, honestly cannot believe the dirt all up the walls mildew but more worryingly around the grate of the jacuzzi black mould and more worrying our faces felt they were burning which is a great health hazard as bacteria breeds in an unclean jacuzzi. The poolside was also filthy with holes in the ceiling and where the ventilation was there was dirt stained on the tiles of the wall. There were members who were present and they stated that they have made various complaints to management and also given in a petition but nothing has been done so I felt this review had to be posted. Then went to get changed I'm sorry but also changing rooms absolutely filthy and when I had a shower there was a loud notice and where the shower heads had not been cleaned the water was spitting out into various directions. Furthermore when I complained to the duty manager it turned out the person had been lying and was in fact not the highest person in authority at the Hilton on that day, which is whom I asked to speak to. I will say that I terminated the spa day before receiving any treatments as was totally discusted. I was told by the operations director David Barclay that I would be contacted within 48hours with a response to my complaint but on me telephoning the Hilton today I have found out he is on holiday. I was also told that the General Manager would be made aware of the complaint and would call on Monday but surprise, no response there either. I am now going to make a formal complaint to head office. I am not a person who would complain normally but a birthday treat has been completely ruined. I have not posted everything that went wrong on the day but be assured there are other things.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Becci12345

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

We were very disappointed to read your feedback regarding your visit to our Livingwell Health Club and our General Manager has contacted your direct with regards to your comments.

I do hope that despite your review we will have the chance of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Cardiff for 2 nights between September 8 and September 10. First, we had checked the hotel a few months ago and decided to book with CAA about 1 month before. Between June and August, the price had increased dramatically, passing from about 100 bucks to more than 150. We decided to book it since the reviews were good. We arrived at the hotel by car and it did not have any parking. You had to take the valet parking (£20 per day) or find your own parking. We were given a room on the second floor with window on The Friary street. The room seemed clean apart from the bathroom where there was mold between the ceramics and humidity stains on the walls. The rest of the room was okay and clean. Problem occured when we went to bed. The street just next to our room had bars in it and it seemed to be party night the 2 nights we were there. Noise stated around 9PM and did not stopped before 4AM. We must also state that there is a free Wi-Fi however it is only available in the lobby. Otherwire you have to paid £13 per day to have it in your room. According to us, you can't call yourself a 5* hotel when your clients can't have access to internet from anywhere in the hotel. Other than that, it is nicely located in Cardiff as it is close to attractions. We would never go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask a room that does not give on The Friary street or that is on a high level.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time write a review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I was very disappointed to read your review and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion.

I do hope that despite your feedback we will have the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the Cardiff Hilton and if I can assist in anyway please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hilton Cardiff

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here for three nights while on a conference. The hotel location is really fabulous. Didn't need to catch a taxi from the central station as it is within walking distance. For a nice run or walk you cross the road and can head out along the river, through a wonderful wooded area. Also the hotel has a good sized pool so you can swim a few laps if you are feeling energetic. The negatives to me were that wifi is a paid service (quite pricy considering what the local phone companies charge for prepaid mobile access) unles you sit in the restaurant area where the coverage is quite patchy. The breakfast is very uninspiring and also on the expensive side. As a result I ate there once and then did my own thing. Overall a great location but not the best hotel I've stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

May I thank you for taking the time to review following your visit to our hotel.

It was great to read that you enjoyed our facilites and our City centre location and your constructive feedback regarding our WIFI and breakfast is appreciated so that we can fully improve our service to our guests.

Looking forward to your next visit to our hotel.