“Ist Class - Well Situated Hotel”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This Hilton Hotel is excellent to say the least. Very well managed with smartly dressed professional friendly staff dedicated to excellent customer service. The hotel is well situated opposite Cardiff Castle and within 150 yards of the town centre shops. Cardiff Central Railway Station is just a ten minutes walk along a level surface. The interior of the hotel is grand. The lounge and executive lounge are well furnished and comfortable. The rooms are well equipped, furnished, and a pleasure to occupy. Food quality and presentation is extremely good. Cardiff Bay is just a short bus ride away. The wonderul St Fagins House and Victorian Village etc is a short bus ride from the bus stop outside of The Cardiff Central Railway Station. At St Fagins one can enjoy a full day, and entry is completely free thanks to The Welsh Assembly.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor overlooking the castle.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of the Hilton Cardiff.

It was really great to read your fabulous comments and helpful advice regarding your trip to the City and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit very soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Having stayed in this hotel on many occasions The Hilton in Cardiff is all round the best hotel in Cardiff. Its location is unparalled and if you get a high floor and face the front of the building you get views of the Castle and City Hall.

As for the walf to the Town Centre there isnt one as you are located right off the main shopping street, Queen Street.

Be aware the hotel is really busy so if you like it quiet it might not be with you and if you catch the hotel on a Rugby weekend then do not expect much sleep at all but it doesnt take much to plan your trip.

The rooms are now 10+ years old so they could do with a little attention but that is being picky. if you are going to Cardiff for a weekend and you should as the City is great also then this is a great hotel to base yourself from.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks the castle and on a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Cardiff Hilton.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel.

It is only through feedback, both positive and negative, that we can improve our standards and service, so I thank you for your comments.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cardiff once again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

A very pleasant visit overall. Check-in was efficient and the room spacious and clean. Very large shower but, as pointed out previously, no shelf for toiletries.
A restful night with no noise problems. Checkout efficiently handled and our car returned promptly by a very friendly porter.
However, the breakfast was only just acceptable. The quality of the food was fine but it was only lukewarm as was my coffee. This aspect needs attention as I have not had this problem in other Hiltons.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent visit.

It was great to read that overall you did enjoy your stay, however I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your breakfast and may I offer you my apologies. Please be assured that this is not indicative of our normal high standards.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

My Girlfriend and I stayed here on the 29th of September for our graduation ball of the September 2009 nursing cohort. Checked in very quickly and was explained by the receptionist about brekafast, car parking etc. We stayed on the 4th floor in room 437 which looks onto the main indoor courtyard, the lift goes up and down outside our room, which was great for us because we could see all our friends in the hotel. Before I checked in i informed a receptionist that I had arranged to give my girlfriend flowers before the ball and if they could be placed in our room on check in, and thankfully they were there in our room on arrival. The rooms are large, quite americianised looking at the name of the hotel which I thought was great because I guessed that the rooms would be a reasonable size. It is worth staying here just for the beds alone, so comfy, I stuggled to get out of bed!

Car Parking - If you would like to park your car at the hotel, the concierge takes your car on arrival and then you have the keys on check out. It costs £20 for 24 hours which is reasonable if you look at other 24 hour multistorey car parks.

Breakfast - it really is worth paying the extra for the breakfast, it is a buffet style with a large amount of quality. You can have from cereals, fruit, pancakes, yogurts to a full english.

I cant praise this hotel enough, and we will most definetely be back one day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your fabulous feedback is truly appreciated and your comments will be shared with the team. I am really pleased that you have a wondeful time and I do hope that your partner enjoyed the flowers !

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Holiday break for disabled daughter and carers for three nights. No help on arrival, room not as requested. Reception staff were very friendly, when senior staff asked to help with problems they were rude and very abrupt. The room was noisey most of the night little sleep all three nights. Final bill incorrect had been charge for two rooms at the same price ( this had been Pre-paid by employer) and carers were told one should have been more expensive and that it had to be paid then. Yet again reception staff helpful and polite but senior management rude and unfriendly reducing my disabled daughter to tears. Carers were told that they should not have been there without person who had paid the bill in the first place? WHY. Both carers were told a letter would be sent to employe,r we are still waitng. My daughter loved this hotel as all the staff were always so friendly sadly this last experience has change her views. such a shame that a few staff can ruin someones favourite place to stay.

Room Tip: Not third floor noisey from bar and night club. Make sure fire escape drill is adequate for wheelcha...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Clearly a popular choice for all kinds of travellers judging by the mix of people there. Before we even got there I got a direct email from the hotel reception staff confirming a couple of my requests, as I wanted to make the visit special for my mum's birthday, so I was impressed that they had got in touch before the stay.
The hotel is in a fantastic location in the middle of shopping areas and numerous bars and restaurants. It's also 5 minutes from Millennium Stadium.
I took advantage of the valet parking at £20 per day having read the problems people have had parking at NCP carparks nearby.
Checkin (and checkout) quick with reception staff genuinely friendly. This is an on-going theme, without exception all staff were open and warm and willing to go the extra mile. Perhaps they were delighted to have guests who weren't going to complain at them all the time, as alot of other guests seemed to be doing. I'm not sure what they had to complain about - perhaps they had rooms on lower floors which I can imagine were noisy - not a problem on the 6th.
Shame the only toilets near bar and restaurants are unisex / disabled off lobby. Minibar not stocked at all during stay, executive lounge small and gloomy but cakes nice!

Room Tip: Request high floor if possible, pay extra for castle view if needs be as it means you will face away...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am really pleased to read your feedback and your fantastic comments regarding our service and location. I will certainly share this with our team.

I do look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I booked three rooms at the Cardiff Hilton for September 14th and 15th. I then read a few negative reviews on Tripadvisor and was very worried about staying at the hotel. I telephoned the Duty Manager and he assured me that everything would be perfect. He was true to his word, everything was wonderful. We were met outside the hotel by the Valet staff who quickly unloaded our luggage and then parked our car. Check in was very quick and pleasant. As I left the reception area, the Duty Manager called my name and greeted us warmly and told us to ask if there was anything that we needed. We had three lovely Executive Rooms on the top floor. The rooms were clean, well appointed and very comfortable with a beautiful view of Cardiff Castle and the mountains beyond. The bathrooms were very large with a separate bath and huge shower. The toiletries were good quality and plentiful. We had access to the Executive Lounge that provided afternoon tea until 6pm followed by canapes` and alcholic beverages until 8pm. The staff in the lounge were very pleasant and couldn't do enough for us. A continental breakfast is also served in the lounge but we did not try this, we chose to have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The breakfast was excellent with many choices.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the hotel. If you can, try lunch or dinner at Cafe Citta, Church Street, Cardiff, a tiny Cafe with authentic delicious Italian food and wonderfully friendly owners.

Room Tip: Ask for castle view rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family