“Went Christmas shopping and wow the hotel was faultless”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Went Christmas shopping and wow the hotel was faultless”
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here last night ,and what can I say ? It was faultless , the rooms we booked 535 and 532 for my son and daughter were spotless and modern ,and warm , we went Xmas shopping ,and had our car taken to be parked ,and check in was easy and quick .
We went to winter wonderland which is near by , and came back to the hotel for a few drinks .
The young lad behind the bar was very pleasant and helpful all evening , we all went up at 9,30 pm and ordered room service , which was delicious ,I must say ....
Can't wait to re book next year .
The hotel was5 star and close to everything that Cardiff offers !

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MARK w W
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
A big thank you for a First Class review of our hotel.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and Winter Wonderland and I am delighted to see your remarks regarding the service you received in our Metropole Lounge.

I do look forward to your next visit here with us in Cardiff.

PA to General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Stayed here recently for one night whilst visiting family locally.Arrived at 11.30am expecting to put luggage in store. Car was promptly valet parked & room was available. Check in was quick, friendly & efficient.
Had Exec Room on 6th floor. Room clean & comfortable. Large bathroom with bath and large walk in shower. Skimpy on the toiletries for a double occupatiobn room.

Exec. lounge on 7th floor was very crowded on the evening we visited but there was a good selection of refreshments including hot & cold canapes on offer.

Room was quiet at night with hardly any external noise. Bed was comfortable with ample pillows provided.

Had breakfast in Exec Lounge . Again there was an ample selection of buffet items plus hot scrambled egg & bacon.

Hotel is conveniently siutated in the Centre of Cardiff close to the Castle (Exec lounge has a nice view over the Castle) the main shopping area & of course, The Millenium Stadium.

Check out was quick & efficient & car was quickly brought to front of building.

Assistance with our bags was offered although this was not required on this occasion.

Overall a pleasant restful stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timetravellerOxford
Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review of our hotel following your recent visit.

I am delighted that enjoyed your stay and I will share this feedback with everyone here at the hotel.

Please do let me know when you next visit and I will ensure there are some extra toiletries available in your bathroom.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

belfast
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Easy to get and shops on the doorstep . My room was excellent and good value. Also tried the bar me nu and was delighted with a great goats cheese salad. Good info from desk step and really quick checkout.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank stevesterBelfast
It is great to read your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I am so pleased that you enjoy your visit with us here in the hotel and especially the Goat's Cheese Salad !

Looking forward to your next visit in the near future.

wales
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Last week we had our second staff christmas dinner at the hilton, last year the food was okay but the disco didn't start until we were all ready to go home, just thought it was bad luck but at least there was xmas pud on the menu. This year a couple slices melon to start Wafer thin), tomato soup (tastless) small turkey meal okay but luke warm with virtually no gravy so meat and vegetables were dry and a small cake dessert (dont even know what is was) . For £55.00 a head we were all dissapointed although the service was fair considering the number of people attending. Will not be going back there again as food portions and quality very poor. I understand the need to make profit but there was no value for money. There is no choice of food on the menu its a set 4 course which you think is good to begin with until you see the mini portions.

Would not recommend the hilton for xmas parties. I hope they read these comments because we had the feeling of being ripped off. I do however need to mention there was a glass of wine for everyone. Maybe my expectations are too high. Would have preferred to pay an extra £10 and had a quality meal and not the cheap low quality food they dished up . Party 7th December 2012. Please also note that you have to pay full price for everyone at booking stage and if a member of your party cannot come they keep the full amount of money. They wont even let you take some of the money back on the bar bill even if you have given them sufficient notice. We had paid for one extra person who could not attend through illness months before but they have this no refund policy.

I agree with welshcakes comments

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WalesLeonardo
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Treated my friend to a christmas afternoon tea and service was dreadful, I had to keep asking for things, as it was Christmas I fancies an addrional mulled wine , but they had none availbale, we were to.d sorry its ran out, its only December 9th!

Coffee was cold, sandwiches stale, made far to in advance not fresh, paid extra for Rose Champagne , not even half a glass was provided, cakes were cheep in look and taste, and no scones arrived, when we realised there were no scones, 15mins later we asked and waited until a further 10 mins they arrived over microwaved and no better than an Asda standard.

We told the member of staff about the stale sandwiches etc, but she just said sorry about that, I can't beleive they had the gore to charge £22.00 per person for what we had, but as I did not want to spoilt my friends treat, I just paid and left.

The member of staff had no idea what she was doing and the quality of food provided was really poor , tasteless and lacked and flare that you would hope for for a Hilton Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Welshcake9999999
I would like to take this opportunity to offer you and your friends our apologies following your Afternoon Tea at the hotel.

It is very disappointing to read your comments and I am very sorry once again that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion, this is certainly not indicative of our normal high standards. Your feedback has been take on board by the team here at the hotel and we appreciate you taking the time to complete a review.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel in the future.

Wales
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed in a junior suite at the end of November 2012. I have previously stayed in a standard room whilst on conference events and in all honesty could not justify the additional cost of the suite. There were robes and slippers - but the decor and room size were pretty average for a junior suite. The suite was also located on the 1st floor at the front of the hotel which is probably just about the noisest place to be and I could hear noise from revellers well into the early hours of the morning! The bed was also in serious need of updating with the springs sqeaking every time I moved - I had a serious back ache in the morning. The sleep quality was poor. I would however commend a normal Executive room as access to the Executive lounge was great. The room itself is on the 7th floor with magnificent views. A two hour complimentary wine / beer etc plus quite a substantial array of food was very good. The complimentary breakfast was also great with cereal, toast, ham, cheese, smoked salmon etc being more than adequate. The best thing about the hotel though is the great location - just opposite the castle and yards away from the shops and all the main attractions of this fantastic city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonWales
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Cardiff Hilton.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your bedroom type and may I offer you my apologies for any disappointment caused to you at the time. It was great to read that you were able to enjoy the benefits of our executive lounge and it's wonderful view of Cardiff Castle.

Looking forward to your next visit and if I can assist with anything please do not hesitate to contact me.

Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Have visited the Hilton before and have written two superb reviews of the hotel but since my last visit something seems to have changed in the hotel. Perhaps it was just bad timing as during my stay the All Blacks Ruby Team were staying there and maybe all the good service went to them. The hotel itself hasn't changed so the location and facilities remain good. However, the staff do seem to have changed. A couple of little incidents really let the hotel down.

I was having dinner with colleagues and one of them who had to leave early due to an appointment asked to see the dessert menu and was told "I will bring the dessert menus out once all of the group have finished their mains" - this was said in rather a rude tone and embarrassed my friend who consequently had to leave the table without having dessert as he didn't have time to wait for us all! Another friend in the group then asked for a dessert and was promptly informed by the waitress that she had pronounced it incorrectly - my colleagues English although good is not fluent and she was left feeling rather embarrassed. The wine we wanted wasn't available and the cheese I ordered came a long time after coffee because the waiter forgot etc. The dinner itself although expensive was nothing special but it was this awful service that left me quite appalled- especially as I have written previous reviews heavily praising the staff in the restaurant.

On checking out I was also questioned about an unpaid glass of wine. Now my total hotel bill came to many hundreds of pounds and yet this receptionist seemed convinced that I was lying about a 6 pound glass of wine. SHe continued questioning me about this for over 5 minutes - at that point my colleague came along and realized she owed the hotel for a glass of wine. Of course there was no apology for me.

During my staff I had to remind staff to put a cot in the room to replenish mini bar and toiletries as well as giving us more than 1 towel! Also the cleaning of our room wasn't done to a high standard and I had to empty a bin myself! Surely this is just the basics??

I hope Hilton management read this as I think you have a bit of a staffing issue. Where have all those wonderful/helpful staff gone that were truly outstanding back in MAy and last November?? Perhaps their focus was on the All Black Team and the rest of us mere mortals were not important enough to be polite/friendly to?

Anyway I am back in February and I VERY much hope that the Hilton staff are back to their usual exceptional standard.

Room Tip: Ask to be high up and away from the corner - there is a noisy karaoke bar there!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahvix
I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for your comments following you review of the hotel.

It is really very disappointing to read of the problems you encountered during your stay and I am very sorry once again that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion. As you will know from previous visits to our hotel this is not indicative of our normal high levels of service. Your comments have been taken on board and shared with the team.

I do hope that we will have the chance in the future of restoring your confidence in our hotel.