“W/end in Cardiff for the half marathon.”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bath, United Kingdom
“W/end in Cardiff for the half marathon.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were allocated a room on the 2nd floor directly opposite the Revolution night club and during the Saturday night experienced constant noise until 4am something you could do without when running a half marathon the next day! We had had requested a quiet room at the time of booking so were disappointed with the room allocation. We saw the duty manager who was very understanding and in fairness would ensure it would not happen again on a future visit. Overall, a nice hotel, very clean and in a good location with friendly staff. Enjoyed the breakfast, not to the mention the fitness and pool facilities which were all excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Please do accept my apologies for the problem you experienced with external noise and the allocation of your bedroom. It was great to read your additional comments regarding our hotel and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hilton Cardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
newport gwent
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Four friends and i went for Afternoon Tea with Champagne Cocktail, which we purchased on Travelzoo for £24 per couple. We were greeted by a very pleasant Head Waiter and shown to our seats in the Restaurant Terrace. Pots of tea and coffee were available in and endless supply. Sandwiches consisted of Smoked salmon and cucumber, cheese and tomato and Egg mayonaise on both brown and white bread. Dainty chocolate and coconut squares, iced jam filled sponge, eton mess, macaroons, welsh cakes and scones with jam and cream were presented to tempt us!! All were delicious and excellent value for money. Having been to The Parkway and Celtic Manor, this venue was by far the best!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NewportGwentAnita
A big thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel following your Afternoon Tea in our Razzi Restaurant.

Your lovely comments are greatly appreciated and I am very pleased that enjoyed your visit to our hotel with your friends.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here on business for one night during September, rooms are huge with big comfortable beds and nice showers excellent breakfast but spoilt by being woken up by the maid barging into my room and then the builders who were replacing showers in the next room. My colleagues had the same experience and it made a mockery of the price of the room at £140 a night.

Room Tip: Get one away from the builders!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stay in Hiltons almost every other week due to my work. I find it amazing that most offer free wifi, yet others try and charge ridiculous rip off prices. Hilton Cardiff tried to charge me £15 a day!
I find it incredulous that something so fundamental to my work and stay is not included in the room rate.
This is a good hotel, clean, modern and a cute gym and pool, but its completely out of touch with its £15 a day charge for wifi when neighbouring coffee shops, bars and restaurants offer wifi for free.

Room Tip: aviod the noisey side street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Really good location by the main shopping areas and plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Breakfast was ok but the wait was a bit annoyying. Tiger tiger and oceanana are on the same street so perfect if your in town to go out. Loads of stag n hen dos going on around town.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I very rarely give a hotel a five star rating, and for myself, a Hilton, is a Hilton; I book a Hilton expecting quality and cleanliness. Arriving for a three night stay, for a friend's wedding, we booked early and had a very reasonable room rate. Given the fact the hotel was full to capacity because of the Cardiff Half Marathon being on the same weekend, we were a little surprised on arrival to have been upgraded to an Executive Room. The welcome we received from the lady at reception was more than simply 'hello, how are you?' She cared, and evidently wanted us to have an enjoyable stay. After plonking our bags, we were to meet friends at a very closeby bar. Asking at reception for directions, the manager on duty not only was happy to help but escorted us to the front of the hotel and very kindly pointed the way. After a really comfortable night's sleep, we headed to the executive lounge for breakfast. Fantastic choice of cereals, pastries and hot food. Day two and we decided to have a drink in the bar before heading out. The barman went our of his way to ensure we had celery for our bloody mary's. On checking out, again the same duty manager, not only gave us directions to where we were heading to, printed a map and described everything to perfection. In short, would I stay here again? Next time in Cardiff I wouldn't consider anywhere else. Whoever does the hiring needs a pat on the back, because your staff are exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the castle
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Cardiff.

It was so fantastic to read your excellent comments regarding your visit to the hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. From your upgrade to the excellent service you received from our team we are geniunely touched by your wonderful remarks.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit and if I can help any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just had a two night stay at this hotel, my room which was on the 4th floor was situated looking out onto the side street which has a night club and was also a through route to the town centre, the noise was unbearable, shouting and people talking very loudly until the early hours meant you could not get to sleep, I rang the night reception about being given another room but he said he would pass this on to the morning reception staff, I spoke to the morning staff at 8.00am who said they would transfer me to another room and to come back at midday, at midday I duly returned to reception to be informed that it would be 30 minutes before a room was ready, when I again returned to reception I was once again told it would be another 30 minutes wait, with that I sat in reception to remind them I was still waiting, eventually I was given another room looking out onto the Castle, on the second night I had a better nights sleep, however you still heard some noise due to this hotel does not have double glazing. Breakfasts were good with it being all buffet style being hot and cold selections, I ate mine in the conservatory area where you could people watch outside, the evening meal was a fixed served menu which I prefer buffet service. I would certainly stay here again, the position so close to the city centre just a short walk away. but I would ask for a room opposite the castle to ensure a decent nights rest. The room had a double bed, walk in shower, also a bath with shower, tea / coffee making facilities also included.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I was very disappointed to read your review of the hotel and may I offer my apologies for the issues you experienced with external noise and the delay with the allocation of another bedroom.

I was however pleased to read your comments regarding your breakfast in our Razzi Restaurant and our central location.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help with your reservation.