“Central and quiet”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our weekend in the Hilton, Cardiff. The hotel was very comfortable and welcoming. My daughter and I had an executive twin room on the 6th floor overlooking the castle grounds. The room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Although the hotel was very central and literally 2 minutes walk from the shops, it was blissfully quiet and peaceful with a very relaxing atmosphere.
We took advantage of the executive lounge for afternoon tea and canapés in the early evening. This was a very nice feature and greatly appreciated.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was everything you could possibly want. There was a chef to prepare breakfast to order and a well stocked buffet. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and we well definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking castle are quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

A big thank you for your first class review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your fantastic feedback is so great to read and I am so glad that you and your Daughter enjoyed the peace and quiet in the hotel and took advantage of Afternoon Tea and Canapes in our Executive Lounge !

I do look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a great location in Cardiff. However i was disappointed in our room. We stayed for 4 nights and we expected a decent room. The carpet needs replacing and i did not like to see mild around the shower tub floor. Rooms are very basic. Hotel lobby is fine. You have to Valet park but its a painful experience as its really tight to park. They should spend some money and re work the parking at the front of the property. When we arrived we did not get any help with bags. We took them from the car into the lobby. Mattresses on beds were cheap and you could here the squeaks.. Staff were very good though. Internet is somewhat behind the times too so dont bank on a great signal. Hotel owner you needs some updating and please let me know when its done so i can stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Firstly, I would like to offer my apologies for your feedback regarding your stay and the disappointment on this occasion. Your constructive comments will certainly be taken on board and shared with the team.

The hotel is planning a bedroom refurbishment in the New Year and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and restoring your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Booked through booking.com and got a room for two here for £73. Location is superb as is the quality of the hotel.

I used to work in this building when it was an Inland Revenue office so it was lovely to go back. Excellent service from the staff, excellent level of comfort, the bathroom was fantastic. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

May I thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Cardiff.

Your fantastic comments regarding your rate, the excellent service and the location of our hotel is really great to read. I do hope that it brought back some good memories of your time here when it was the inland revenue offices.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Disappointed second time around at this hotel. I remembered it being nicer. Time has taken its toll - our room was pretty shabby considering it was classed as a deluxe room with a view. The carpet needs replacing and the tiles in the bathroom need a good cleaning! Saying that we got the rooms on a decent sale and breakfast was included which was very good!
Biggest downside was having to pay for wifi. It was only free in the lobby area. I did not want to pay 60 pounds for wifi for our four day stay, neither did i want to visit the lobby in my pajamas when i wanted to go on the internet at night!! Wifi should be free! Parking was a fair cost too - 20 pounds a day!
Love the location of the hotel - very handy for walking to shops and restaurants and the castle area.
Will probably not stay here again though!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write folllowing your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

May I offer you my sincere apologies for the issues you have mentioned regarding the standard of your bedroom and your WIFI and for the disappoinment this caused to you during your stay.

We are in the process of finalising a bedroom refurbishement which is planned to take place in the New Year and your comments will certainly be taken on board.

I do hope that despite your experience we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and restoring your confidence and if I can assist with a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Hilton in Cardiff is a little bit tricky to get to - it doesn't have a clearly signposted 'entrance', a wee bit challenging given that it's on a busyish road. There isn't a car park, they said 'just pull up outside and we'll park it for you'. However, while they did indeed park the car for me, and delivered it back bang on the requested time in the morning (8am) - it's £20, so be warned. I would have liked to have been told the charge *beforehand*. However, the NCP car park is a good couple of minutes walk away (this is where they put the cars anyway, I'm told) so I guess the valet service is a pricey convenience.
The reception staff were great - a warm welcome, and even some traffic advice for the morning so I'm very grateful as otherwise I'd have been late.
The room was spacious and very comfy, given that I arrived late I wasn't at all bothered that it faced inwards on to a sort of atrium (no natural light), but it's worth being aware of if that would bother you.
Spotlessly clean bathroom, lovely fluffy towels, and a much appreciated separate bath and shower cubicle. The toiletries smelled great too.
The breakfast was great in the morning - I had a fruit salad, cereal and pancakes, didn't try the hot buffet but it looked nice. And it's a small thing, but a bright, smiley 'Good Morning' when being greeted goes a long way and I did appreciate it!
All in all, I'd definitely stay there again. Fortunately work pays for my stay so the parking charge is just a minor annoyance, but it's something to be aware of if you are staying for a personal trip.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are inward-facing so don't get any natural light really. I gathered that if th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

A big thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I was pleased to read that overall you did enjoy your stay here with us in the hotel and your spacious bedroom and amenities and especially your breakfast and I will certainly share your feedback with the team.

I have also noted your comments regarding our car parking facilities and I can confirm that we do have our own secure car park just outside the hotel. Our charges for parking are displayed on our website and on our hotel confirmations and please do accept my apologies that you were not informed of this beforehand.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Went at half term, so no upgrades available despite being a diamond member and the exec lounge was very full. Therefore not the best of starts. Room was fine, no issues but not enough towels given that there were three of us (perhaps when the roll away bed was set up more towels should have been provided). Exec lounge too full, lots of table sharing and squeezing on to sofas. Did get so bad that they sent people downstairs in happy hour, which was sensible. Dinner in the hotel was fine, would have been better if the staff had a better command of English, lots of repeating our order! Though they were very smiley.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your visit to Cardiff.

I would like to apologise for your comments regarding your upgrade and our executive lounge and for any upset and inconvenience caused to you at the time.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regard

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I live local so there is no need to use the hotel room, but I do get free access to use to the gym

The gym is very small, very limited machines, all of which are light so not practical for my needs

The hotel is certainly in a prime local in Cardiff with it being central to the centre

The open reception area is wide open, well lit and has a grand feel to it with entrance to a coffee shot next door

I have no doubt the rooms reflect the glamorous reception area and live up to its name, but the gym... Probably best to pop across the road to the Laguna which is better equipped

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

I would like to thank you for your feedback regaring your recent visit to our Livingwell Health Club.

I am very sorry that our gym did not meet your expectations on this occasion and your comments regarding our facilties will be taken on board by our Health Club team.

Thank you once again.