“Excellent, but pricey !”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent, but pricey !”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed during Wales 6 nations weekend, so hotel obviously very busy. Despite this, the whole team of staff and service was first class. Only downfall was the overinflated room prices due to the rugby. All excellent venue with excellent staff / service.

Room Tip: Some rooms enjoy complimentary use of the executive bar !
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon G
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your first class review following your visit to Cardiff.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cardiff once again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Hilton in Cardiff is slap bang in the middle of the city, perfect for a weekend and/or rugby trip.
The rooms are very large as is the bed, there is a walk in shower and a bath, both excellent.
Breakfast is buffet style with an egg chef making for a very pleasant experience. There is also a sauna, steam room, pool and jacuzzi. Recommended. One down side is the noise from the city centre during the night. This is recognised by the hotel who have earplugs at reception!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Iain G
Thank you for your first class review following your visit to Cardiff.

Surrey
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The plus points first! Very friendly helpful staff, valet parking very useful, great working buffet lunch served.

Right...... now for the minuses. Bearing in mind this was a business trip, I would have expected free wifi at least in the meeting room. It was only because we didn't have all the other extras with the room that I managed to get the wifi thrown into the cost. If this had not been the case we would have been looking at around £18 per person to use it! The only place you can get free wifi is in the lobby - I guess threatening to take our meeting into the lobby area also helped get the wifi thrown in!

Buffet lunch - lovely. Served in the area outside our meeting room. But this was cleared away without anyone checking if we still required any of it or wanted more. And at again £18 per head, not particularly cheap and we hardly touched the cake or fruit, which we would have had a bit later if they had asked.

The meeting room itself was average - chairs a bit worn looking and it was too warm. We couldnt find anywhere to adjust the temperature and the windows couldn't be opened.

Bedrooms - I was on 6th floor in a large twin room. The windows don't open but you can ask at reception and one of their staff will come up and open them for you. Strange..... The airconditioning/heating unit is very noisy and comes on at various times in the night!

Not too sure the cleaning is up to standard either - on arrival I found someone's sock balled up near the curtains! There was still hair in the shower too.

I wasn't overly impressed with the shower - I had a separate walk in shower which looked very impressive but I just couldn't get it hot enough despite having the temperature dial right the way round on the hot setting.

If you stay here, do NOT get a room which overlooks the clock tower. it chimes every quarter hour, then on the hour chimes the full monty!

I cannot comment on breakfast as I don't eat it, but those that had it I think enjoyed it.

Location wise you couldn't ask for better.

Would I stay again or book for another business trip? Probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid any room overlooking the clock tower!! It chimes all night long, every quarter hour and then f...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cloverwood
Reviewed 24 January 2014

As I was on a business trip the rates were extremely good. Very friendly and helpful staff, valet parking worked well. Restaurant was much better than I thought it would be and I ate there three times.

One issue was the internet. Sign on in your room and it works, but move around the hotel and it does not. I have an issue with charging for internet anyway as I feel that it should be free,but when it is just linked to the room area well that is a bit of a joke. They did refund when I explained my issue so good on them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Koolbreeze51
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Cardiff Hilton.

It is great to read that overall you enjoyed your visit to the hotel for your business trip and was pleased with the rates and service from the team. I have also noted your constructive comments regarding internet access in the hotel and I am pleased that this was resolved to your satisfaction.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed overnight for business meeting. Clean, modern, spacious. Great location, friendly helpful attentive staff. Based opposite Cardiff Castle and very close to all the bars and clubs near town. Can be quite noisy and a lot of drunken chavs outside the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
A big thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent overnight stay.

It is great to read your remarks regarding our location, cleanliness and friendly team and I do appreciate such lovely feedback.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel Saturday 18h January and from the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. From check in at 10am our 3 rooms were ready and all next to each other as requested. Room was clean and tidy
Beds were very comfy and larger than expected for a twin room - 3/4 size I think. Definitely bigger than a single
I have given the hotel a very good instead of an excellent as the Spa really needs some TLC. The jacuzzi was cold, the steam room was out of order and the pool too small really for such a large hotel. There were hardly any loungers/chairs to either sit on or leave towels.
Check out was fast ans efficient and we really appreciated being able to keep our car parked there with an additional charge until we were ready to leave the city in the afternoon, rather than having to move it when we checked out

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
It was great to read your review of the Hilton following your recent visit to Cardiff.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and that overall everything was to your satisfaction. I have also noted your feedback regarding the facilities in the health club and I do apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

stayed in one of the best rooms, overlooking the castle, executive lounge was very nice, reception staff were amazing always very helpful.
we had originally booked the room for the weekend before but due to my daughter being sick in hospital we asked to move the booking to the weekend after. which they did even tho we had the non refundable option. the hotel was very busy too so moving us may have caused a issue but it all worked out.
breakfast - amazing so much choice and all high quality.

Room Tip: ask for a room between 701 and 707 the view is amazing and makes waking up a treat
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
It was so fantastic to read your review and I do hope that your Daughter has made a full recovery.

Looking forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.