“Gate Crashing my Partner's Business Trip.”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rayleigh, Essex.
“Gate Crashing my Partner's Business Trip.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My partner was staying in Cardiff for a five week period in January/February time and me and my then 6 month old son gate crashed his trip for the last week.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and made me feel very welcome. They consistently held doors open for me when I had the buggy and they were generally chatty and friendly. They provided a cot for my son upon arrival. The rooms were nice and clean with large beds.

We mainly had breakfast in the executive lounge as my partner had an upgraded room. There was less choice of food but it was quieter and the view overlooking the castle was nicer. There was a lot of choice downstairs in the main breakfast room. I took my son swimming and the changing facilities were good although the pool is the same depth all the way round so no "baby pool" as such.

The hotel is well located right in town and overlooks the castle.

• Stayed February 2014
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
A big thank you for your lovely review of the Hilton Cardiff following your visit with your Son.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your week here with us and you were able to visit your Husband and all enjoy our facilites as a family.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Hilton Cardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Cardiff Hilton for a family weekend. We couldn't fault the place. Our room on the fifth floor had been recently refurbished to a high standard and was very comfortable and spacious. The food and service was very good especially the breakfast which had everything you could possibly want to set you up for the day.The location was very central and close to the castle, shops and anywhere else you might want to visit. Our family meal was in a separate room where we were looked after by Lauren, a very attentive and conscientious young lady. The concierge parking service although a bit pricey at £10 a night was, we felt, well worth the money. The leisure facilities were good although the pool a little small and quite crowded. We are planning to visit again this year as Cardiff has far too much to offer to take in over one weekend.

• Stayed April 2014
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your visit to Cardiff for a family weekend.

It is so great to read your fantastic comments regarding the hotel and your lovely feedback regarding Lauren!

I do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed with family and friends for two days. Excellent location to explore the city and its attractions, friendly staff and service, great value for the money. Well-stocked Executive Lounge overlooking the castle and the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
A big thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I am pleased to see that you visited the hotel along with friends and family and enjoyed our location, friendly staff and value for money. It is great to read that you visited the executive lounge and enjoyed the view of the Castle.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at Cardiff Hilton numerous times over the last few years we were devastated back in December 2012/13 for a New Year stay which was horrendous resulting in us departing a day early !! On reflection we should have informed staff when we left just why for several reasons we were departing early!! Vowing never to return !! However requiring a central hotel so our young grandchildren could accompany us we tentatively tried again!! Thank goodness I'm relieved to say our faith has been restored We were greeted at reception by helpful polite staff and nothing was too much trouble with regard to the children !! The room was comfortable and relaxing we had a package which included breakfast and evening meal outstanding !!! I've decided that over the last few years ( yes I'm a YOUNG retired !!) the hotel can not be held responsible for their customers increasing ill manners and rudeness !! Sadly both witnessed on this visit staff responding with calm professionalism The refurbishment is long over due again staff can't be held responsible for the lack of Hiltons planning!! Come on Hilton Cardiff get that fifth star back We will return !!

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel following your recent trip with your Grandchildren.

I am so pleased that you decided to return to Hilton and that you enjoyed your Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package and the service received from our team and we take gread pride in your comments.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit very soon.

lichfield
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

For a 'luxury' hotel this was decidedly average with absolutely no real charm or enjoyment. Rooms were fine (though why it needs two double beds is beyond me). Only one lift working so it took ages to get down in the morning and the stairs divert you away from access to the ground floor.

But why should you have to be charged extra for everything including wifi?

My advice is to go and find somewhere more friendly, or use the Premier Inn and save money.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, your feedback regarding the hotel will certainly be taken on board so that we can further improve our standards of service.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

louisa.stride@hilton.com
Worcester
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We had 3 executive rooms booked for 6 of us to see a concert at the nearby Motorpoint arena. This was a repeat visit for us as it is only a 10 minute walk away. There is no parking to speak of so we used the valet parking which was £20 and so we could just pull up outside the hotel and it was all sorted. We checked in with a friendly female member of staff and were told our rooms were all next to each other on the 4th floor. When we got in the lift it said the executive rooms were on the 6th floor which confused us slightly so went back to check. The 6th floor was being refurbished so we had newly refurbished rooms on the 4th floor which had robes and slippers and complimentary water put in. Fine but we should have been told this when we checked in. The room itself was lovely, newly decorated with teal and grey colours and the bathroom was roomy and spotless. There was tea and coffee making facilities tucked away in a cupboard. The beds were nice and high, a little hard for my taste but that's just me as I like soft beds. The pillows were really comfy. It was a little noisy at first when we went to bed but I am used to complete silence at home but it didn't stop me sleeping. Th executive lounge was small but comfy although the machine didn't churn our hot enough cappuccinos. We had drinks and small cakes in the afternoon then went back later for when the alcohol and canapés were brought out. It was real value for money but the problem was that there were some people in there so greedy that the poor woman servicing the food could not get it brought through quick enough. She brought plates through and there was a group of 4 men and woman sat near us that had starved themselves for a month the way they tucked it away. Every time one of us 6 went to get something there was nothing left and as soon as it was replenished the greedy bunch went up for platefuls before anyone else could get a look in - they were a fair size too so you didn't want to argue ;). However none of this was the fault of the hotel and the server woman was run ragged trying to stock up as the wine etc was certainly going down quickly. It would have been a great experience and good value for money if we had been able to get some food but we managed to get a couple of glasses of wine each. We had breakfast I. The lounge the next morning too - hot and cold food included so it more than made up for the £15 each charge for use of the lounge.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for your review of the hotel following your visit to the City for a concert.

I was very sorry to hear that you were not informed upon check in of the sixth floor bedrooms being refurbished and your experience in the Executive Lounge and I do apologise once again for any inconvenience this may have caused you at the time.

I was however really pleased to read your feedback regarding our new bedrooms and that you liked the colour scheme and it it always fantastic to see such great comments regarding our new rooms.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Room location was very noisy during night; needs soundproofing Bathroom needed maintenance; shower door did not close properly and flow of hot water to shower was very slow. Not enough soap for two guests. Staff were very efficient and friendly, especially at Reception and valet parking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I have noted your feedback regarding external noise and the maintenance issues and I do apologies for any inconvenience this caused to you at the time.

I was however really pleased to read your comments regarding our efficient and friendly team especially the staff at Reception and Concierge.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

louisa.stride@hilton.com