“Not worth the money.”

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for his 21st birthday.

All staff were very helpful and polite and the decorations in the hotel were beautiful.

The room was lovely and very spacious however as we stayed over on a Saturday night going to sleep was hard as there were sirens, people fighting, shouting and swearing outside and a lot of cars going past so coming back home we didn't feel rested as we expected to be.

We couldn't wait to get into the spa however we were disappointed, there was holes in the ceiling, the drain was sticking out and my boyfriend tripped over it and cut his foot. When we were in the sauna the fire alarm sounded and we got evacuated so we were outside, in the middle of Cardiff, on a cold November's day in our swim wear - we didn't get handed blankets until we were going back inside.

Then when leaving I was paying for the bill and got charged £18 for keeping my car in your car park or garage (I don't know where it was taken) which I wasn't told I would be charged for. If I knew we would have been charged that much we would have got the train down.

I wouldn't stay in this hotel again because if was too expensive for what you get. I could have paid less and had a much better hotel, I feel we paid the price just for the name.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie D
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Katie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy on this occasion.

Please do contact our Guest Relations Manager, rachel.cornelius@hilton.com if you would like to discuss this any further.

We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Cardiff

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights on our honeymoon tour. We paid quite a bit for an executive suite and we do not think it was good value for the money we paid. We had a crap view, the bed was so hard and uncomfortable and the parking was a ridiculous price. On the plus side the executive lounge was very nice and the staff are very accommodating especially the concierge who booked us tables for dinner and was very knowledgeable about the local area.

Room Tip: Ask for room with the view of the castle !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Firstly, I was delighted to read that you were happy with the executive lounge and the service you received from our Concierge Team who you found very helpful and knowledgeable about the local area.

I have also noted your feedback regarding your bedroom and car parking and we sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy on this occasion. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Hilton Cardiff

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Hilton Cardiff for a conference which was also being held at the hotel. The room itself was incredibly spacious and consisted of all the usual amenities inside it. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. I can't speak for the food at the restaurant as I didn't eat here but the food at the conference was superb. I imagine they come from the same kitchen. I wasn't paying for the trip personally but I think the room was slightly on the pricey side but that is probably due to most of Cardiff being on the dearer side. That would be my only negative on it. Location wise it is smack bang in the middle of Cardiff. It is also very close to nightclubs/pubs but you wouldn't know this as I had a very peaceful sleep. My room also had a nice view of Cardiff Castle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

It is great to read your fantastic comments following your visit to our hotel for your Conference.

Your comments are truly appreciated and will of course be shared with the team here in Cardiff who all take great pride in your feedback.

I do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Husband treated me to surprise night away. Fast, efficient and polite valet service on arrival together with very helpful check in service. Were in room 717 which had a huge bed, bathroom complete with separate double shower and bath and air conditioning. The view overlooked browns bar but not a problem. As we were on 7th floor we had use of the executive lounge it was bliss.....complimentary hot and cold drinks, nibbles afternoon tea and pre-dinner canapés and alcoholic drinks before dinner with a gorgeous view of the castle. Hubby made use of the pool a little small however met his needs. In-house restaurant had great meal options for breakfast and dinner and service was great...wine a little pricey! All in all had a lovely stay and has opened my eyes up to a lovely luxury hotel chain which is affordable as a treat. Hubby did good, cannot wait to return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lumbers123
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Lumbers123,

WOW what a surprise!! Your husband did very well and please thank him for choosing our Hotel.

All of your comments are truly delighful to receive and the team are thrilled with your review- thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again with us very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a good hotel set in an ideal central position in Cardiff. The rooms are of a reasonable size with good bathrooms with bath and a separate walk in shower, only niggle no shelf in shower. Beds are large and comfortable and the room is reasonable equipped. Wi fi is not free.
Breakfast offers a good range with many items cooked to order though this can cause a bit of a queue at peak times, even tomatoes and mushrooms were only available to order.
A good hotel but it is odd that there are no easily accessible stairs in the main lobby to upper floors which means on occasion lifts were crowded.
The hotel will park your car for you nearby for a cost of £20 a day.
This is a good standard hotel in a central location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear IckenhamChris,

Thank you for your fab review which we are thrilled to receive.

Your comments regarding our location, beds and bedrooms is a pleasure to read and thank you.

I can confirm that we do have stairs to access all floors located by our Costa Coffee shop as indeed our lifts do get very busy at peak times. Thank you for your feedback.

We look foward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great location for a fab weekend in Cardiff. Close to attractions, shops, bars and restaurants. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious with large single beds in our twin rooms, we all slept well. The staff at the Hilton were great, I stayed with a group of 8 ladies for a good friends birthday/hen weekend. We let the staff know that this was the case and they arranged a cupcake to be sent up to her room on arrival which was lovely. The two bouncers in the door in the evening were friendly and gave us a tip of where to go for a good night out one evening. We had afternoon tea on the day of our departure which was nice, however the staff could have been more attentive, no one came to take an order for drinks we had to ask and when a friend requested more cream for her scone it didn't arrive, other than this it was an enjoyable afternoon. We spent some time in the gym/pool which is a nice extra included in the room rate.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Emma W,

Thank you for your fantastic review regarding your recent stay at our Hotel for your friends birthday and hen party and thank you for chosing our Hotel to celebrate these occasions.

Your comments are great to receive and I am glad you enjoyed our special occasion cupcakes ;) they always go down a treat!

I have noted your comment about the service during your afternoon tea and please accept my sincere apologise for the dissatisfaction caused to you. I have passed your comments onto the Food & Beverage Supervisor to ensure this matter remains isolated. Thank you for your valuable comments.

We very much look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to our Hotel for your next celebrations.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is an exceptional hotel. I was particularly impressed by the care to detail in every aspect of the hotels operation, and the helpfulness of the staff. Every hotel in the UK should send its staff to this one to see how it should be done.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Stafford W,

Thank you for your fantastic 5* review regarding your stay at our Hotel.

We do take great pride in ensuring every detail is in place for our guests and thank you for your kind comments regarding our Hotel and team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.