“Very nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Targu Mures
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the Cardiff Hilton starting July 27 2014. My experience was excellent, kind, and helpful staff, great looking building from inside and outside, quite, clean rooms with the largest bathrooms I've seen in a while in a hotel. House keeping staff where something along the lines of Santa's little helpers, they did there jobs very well, keeping both the room and the bathroom spotless but you barely ever saw them. The restaurant had great foods, and great service, though the one problem I did have was the fact the you could get the same level of quality if you took a short walk around the hotel, this was the same issue I had with the room service menu, though that I can understand. I've got to say, even though I was impressed with the location of the hotel, the quality of rooms and services, and the overall value, what impressed the most was the staff, helping you out and catering to your tastes in a way you wouldn't expect. For example upon learning that I quite liked a local whiskey, they helped me arrange transportation and a visit of the distillery where the spirit is made.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for such great feedback following your visit to Cardiff.

Your kind comments regarding the hotel and the service you received was wonderful to read and I do hope that you enjoy the Whiskey!

It was our pleasure to welcome you as our guest and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
Louisa Stride
PA to General Manager
Hilton Cardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked a spa day via the living social website for a spa day for two. I was a little put off by the comments from other tripadvisors but did not need to worry. The staff were extremly helpful and polite and friendly,Dawn who greeted us made us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble for her.
We paid an extra 50p each for towels and entered the clean changing area,this was equipped with hand and body creams to use and also shower gel. There were hair dryers and sockets for straightners and stool to sit down and do your make-up on.There were also bags to put your wet bathers in when you were going home. The steam room,sauna,gym,jacuzzi and pool were all clean and lovely to use. We stayed longer than we planned and enjoyed a light lunch in their Costa cafe.There were floats and rubber rings for kids and the pool was not too deep and also had an area for those who wanted to swim lenghts.
The only thing that was needed was changing areas with curtains as not everyone likes to change in front of everyone else and for the pool staff to maybe supervise the pool more for safety as it seemed that staff were not always monitoring it especially as there were children there, but apart from that it was a lovely relaxing and highly enjoyable day and one where the standards have improved.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pam s
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Pam S,

Thank you for your review and I am glad you were not put off by other reviews you had seen on here.

Your comments regarding your Spa Day is perfect to receive and I am glad you had good day. Dawn will be thrilled to receive your review !

Thank you for comments regarding additional curtains in the changing rooms which I will share with our Club Manager.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel very soon!

Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel was lovely. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was huge. You could have got 6 people in the shower! We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel as we were out and about a lot but it was definitely a great place to stay the night. The breakfast was also good - lots of choice - but if you want something veggie cooking you have to order it specially which can be a pain so I just had cereal, toast and fruit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenYorkshire2013
Dear HelenYorkshire20

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay.

Your great feedback about our Hotel, your bedroom, bathroom and breakfast is fab to receive- thank you.

Our breakfast chef does have vegetarian items available on standby incase a guest does require them and it is no trouble at all for our team to do these for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Recent enjoyed a pleasant Afternoon Tea at the Hilton - Our Ladies Phoenix Club had booked for 41 members for an Afternoon outing at £15.00 per head. Staff were very helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble for our lady waitress in the Restuarant or Barman in the Lounge bar.

The Waitress seemed to be the only one serving with a little help later when the Sandwiches and cakes were being delivered to the Table in Wooden layered serving trays. It seemed to take a while before everyone of our party had their tea/coffee. There was no problem with the special gluten free sandwiches/cakes or herbal tea orders. All served with a smile and I would say a geniune willing attitude to please. Cannot fault the staff, but feel the waitress for the party numbers should have had more staff helping her. At the same time there was another large party in the Restuarant, besides the normal tables occupied by 2 or 4 people.

My main negative thought was the wooden serving trays, when placed in the middle of the table (tables seating 14) rather restricted the view of the person sitting opposite you, so we were constantly talking around these trays. The wooden layered Trays are tall and though a novel way of displaying sandwiches, cakes, scone, cakes, cream and jar etc. They would I think be more suited to a table of just 2 or four people. Perhaps round, three tier cake/sandwich stands would be more appropriate. As there's not alot on room on the table with glasses, cups, plates, cutlery, coffee / tea pots etc.

Overall the fare of the tea was pleasant, but some how missed out on the "old fashioned" concept of afternoon Tea, with crisp white table cloth, napkins, tasty sandwiches, small scones strawberry jam, cream.

The Hilton is very well appointed and have a good view from it's side Restuarant of the Castle and where you can watch if you like people watching a relaxing view. It was very hot on the day we went and this was slightly uncomfortable towards the end of the afternoon. I appreciate the weather at the moment is rather rare for Wales, but their Air conditioning needs to be adjusted for the various weather conditions.

Overall the aim of the afternoon was met with a pleasant tea and meeting up with members of our Club enabling us to catch up with each other news.

Again the staff were very helpful and had a good attitude.

Room Tip: Not able to comment on the Rooms available, but I would say the Hilton Hotel offers, apparently a ra...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rosie W,

Thank you for your great review regarding Afternoon Tea with us.

Your comments regarding your tea and our team of staff are fantastic to read and thank you for taking the time to offer such great feedback.

I have indeed noted your comments regarding our AC, the wooden serving trays which can restrict the view and that the tea lacked the "old fashioned" concept of afternoon Tea and I will be sharing your comments with our Executive Head Chef so that we can further improve our service to our customers.

May I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

recently stayed here for the speedway weekend,i have stayed here before and although it was overpriced for what you got i stayed again as it was ok and about the only hotel left with rooms for the dates i wanted.
i have to say the showers are the worst i`ve come across in what is regarded as a higher class hotel chain,hot water?luke warm at best,which considering what they charge per night is not what you`d expect,restaurant is expensive and car valet is handy but not good if you arrive early as your car will be boxed in for an hour or so,til they move everyone else`s to get to yours out.
overall i would say that in my opinion the Hilton hotel chain in general seems to have gone down hill over the years and is not as prestigious as it used to be,for me the hotel is 3/4 star but charging 5 star prices and not good value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 345Mysteryguest15,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.

I am shocked to receive your disappointing comments regarding your shower as we have recently installed new showers in our guest bedrooms. You mention you had luke warm water which isn't the norm. I have also noted your comments regarding the prices in our restaurant and our car parking valet service. Please accept my sincere apologies for the dissappointment caused to you and may I thank you for your constructive comments.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

being a Hilton Honours member I get to stay in a few Hilton and partner hotels... this is over priced, the car parking at £20 per day is more expensive than I have paid in most major cities in the UK, I paid for bed and breakfast and was told I must pay extra to eat in the restaurant!! I could use the exec lounge for free..... that offered limited choice of course... and blimey so many rules in the exec lounge, I was either too early for a beer or too late, or there was no room... total crap! Book a cheaper hotel and eat at one of the nice restaurants in town that's my advice. oh and £14.99 for 24 hours wifi, where I receive it free at other Hilton chain hotels....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank witty372002
Dear Witty372002

Thank you for your review regarding your stay.

Your comments are disappointing to receive regarding our car parking charge, our executive lounge serving times and our internet charge.

I can confirm that unfortunately we lease our car park and do not own it so there will be a charge to all guests that use this service. Our Executive does offer a continential breakfast to all of our guests who have booked an executive room on room only rate, however if you had booked a rate including breakfast than you could of course have a choice to either have your breakfast in our Executive Lounge or our restaurant. The Executive lounge serves alcohol between the hours of 6:30pm and 8pm every day and we do have an overflow area to those guests who are not able to have a seat.

I am sorry for the disappointment caused to you and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I stay in Hilton's whenever possible , and this hotel was a great example of why I do. Excellent location- directly across from the famous castle, wonderful hospitality, comfortable rooms and comfy beds. You can walk to limitless shopping, restaurants and pubs. The hotel has a lovely restaurant as well as a good variety for room service and a great big soaking tub to relax after a long day. The staff was welcoming and knowledgable. The valet parking was convenient and although the rooms were not fancy they were clean, had refrigerators and also a great makeup mirror in the bathroom. Rooms also had robes and slippers which was sweet after my relaxing bath. Great stay. Thanks again Hilton!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Kim W,

Thank you for a great review and your comments regarding all aspects of the Hotel are extremely pleasing to receive- thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel again very soon.