“Very poor value for money”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very poor value for money”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed on a Friday and Saturday night, and booked through a third party website, so effectively on a leisure rate (even though I was working). But still over £120/night, and l got charged an additional £20 per 24hr period for parking, and come on guys, £4.40 for a small bottle of beer..? That's a lot even when your expense account is paying...! At least include weekend parking in your leisure rates, throw us some kind of bone...

Room size is fine, bathroom well equipped. But please, if you're going to do things like remove the window handles to prevent access to the outside (although you would have had to be a gymnast to get of of my high 5th floor window..), you need to make sure that it's properly soundproofed and draught-proofed: mine was neither of these, and in central Cardiff on weekend nights it needed to be!

The reception staff are friendly enough, if a little inexperienced, the bar staff the same, or should I say they hadn't been briefed or trained properly (I witnessed a conversation which was laughably Fawlty-Towers, involving a run down of what juices were available.)

For some reason the sockets on one entire wall in my room fused whilst I was out during the day, so my fridge defrosted itself: luckily not onto any of my stuff but onto the carpet. No apology, no further investigation, just a maintenance guy who unlocked a secret cupboard in my room and reset the fuse.

Luckily the same leisure rate I paid included breakfast, because I wouldn't have been happy to pay £18 extra for the stale coffee and heat-lamp-dried food. The sign telling us to ask the chef for freshly cooked eggs and mushrooms etc was a nice touch though; would have been nicer if the chef had been around to ask, instead of lurking in the back until the wait staff called for him. And get the details right too: the glasses you supplied for breakfast juice were too tall to fit under the taps of the juice dispenser.

There are much better value places in Cardiff, I wouldn't stay here willingly again unless the rate was a lot better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't open onto the open verandahs that surround the central atrium: the n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear JandRandTandC

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

I was dissappointed to receive your comments regarding our car parking charges, the state of your window, disturbance from external noise, your bedroom fuse sockets, your personal fridge and your breakfast experience.

We have very high standards of customer care and satisfaction at the Hilton Cardiff, however it appears that on this occasion we have fallen some way short of these standards. I have discussed all of your constructive comments at length with all the senior managers and regarding the lessons that should be taken from these unfortunate events.

If you can please contact me via Rachel.cornelius@hilton.com if you would like to discuss your comments further and I would be more than delighted to discuss with you.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Carlos, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I booked this hotel on the last night a rather luxe trip to the UK. I expected the usual quality I get from the Hilton brand. Instead, we were put in a room that had both loud hallway noise -- maids banging their carts into the walls and door near the room, elevator nearby -- and loud nighttime noise from a nearby night club and drunken people singing and yelling in the street outside. When I contacted the staff, they were dismissive and told me that it was reasonable to expect street noise at night. I was also treated poorly when I asked the staff to call a taxi for our trip to the train station. The front desk member insisted that we should walk instead, even though I was clearly disabled (using a cane) and we had a large amount of heavy luggage with us. Yes, I know it's a half-mile walk, I had walked it the day before to the hotel. I would not recommend this property to others; there are plenty of great hotels in Cardiff. Don't expect the Hilton level of service from this particular property.

2 Thank Leigh Ann H
Dear Leigh Ann H,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your stay with us and I have in length discussed your comments with my team.

I have send you an e-mail regarding your comments and thank you once again for bringing these matters to our attention.

Carrieres-sous-Poissy, France
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Overall this is an excellent hotel but there were a few shortcomings in our most recent stay which made me downgrade my review this time.
This is an expensive hotel so the service needs to reflect the price paid. This time, we had as is usual an executive room but when we arrived the toilet flush was not working correctly which had to be replaced (the person who came rapidly to fix the problem at first even said that all the toilets made a constant flushing noise - perhaps because he was not a native English speaker). One of the lifts was announcing incorrect floors on arrival - difficult for the visually impaired. Less soaps were delivered in the rooms each morning by the cleaning staff. The swimming pool was great but the staff were not present when we arrived so I failed to have a changing room lock. In fact, this time, the hotel manager failed to send us a customary review questionnaire after the visit. All this suggest that standards are starting to decline, whilst prices have risen substantially. However, the hotel still passes all tests related to sleep quality and the breakfast was excellent even if the staff did not clear away the dishes as mush as usual. The 1 area where the service was exemplary was the concierge and the people looking after our car. However, we stay at this hotel at least twice a year and we are used to perfection. I hope this is not a worrying trend where service starts to decline as prices increase....

Room Tip: the most expensive rooms look out over the castle and offer a good view but are more noisy at night.
Dear AndrewST16,

Thank you for your valuable review regarding your most recent stay with us.

I was delighted to receive your favourable comments regarding our concierge team which is great to receive and the concierge team were thrilled to receive your comments- thank you.

I was extremely dissapppointed to read of the problems you experienced with your toilet, our lobby lifts, lack of soap in your room, no staff being present in the Health Club and your plates during breakfast were not cleared quickly. Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious dissatisfaction caused to you and may I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

I can confirm that our online guest satisfaction surveys are sent via our Head Office and guests are selected at random and a guest will receive no more than one survey every six months.

May I thank you for all of your feedback which I have shared with the whole team and once again I am sorry for the dissappointment caused to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed in Hilton for more than 2 weeks for a business trip. It is in a good location, the room is clean,spacious and well equipped.
However, the staff service is really terrible - from the reception for the check-in to the restaurant or room service. Reception and room service, although not optimum, I can understand that being having to service all guests, there may be some gaps.

But what I can't fathom is the service level of the staff at the restaurant. In Hilton or similar class hotel, it is quite a norm that the staff would remember you (at least the face if not the name or the room) especially if you stay for 18 days. However, this doesn't applies to Cardiff Hilton. Many mornings are spent after waiting them to verify my room number on a sheet of paper or spent on chasing after the staff for coffee/tea to start with.

On one occasion, one waiter breaks off eye contact when I am obviously trying to get some help. I had to wave my hands, then, he comes over - reluctantly. Afterward, I had to wait for at least 5 minutes to get the coffee.

The food at the restaurant is mediocre at best if not terrible, the mushroom omelette tastes like fungus (Well, in a sense, that's what mushrooms are but a bit more thorough washing might helps).

I had decided to have dinner at the restaurant one night, as I haven't learnt my lesson yet. The service was extremely lukewarm at best, waited for easily 30 minutes to get the food. The waiter was quite rude as well. I had tried dinning at a few restaurants in the Cardiff central areas, charging more or less the same price - for a much much better food and service.

If it's normal hotel, I think this is quite alright. But as a Hilton Hotel, charging 219 pounds per night on my stay, it is a real disappointment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ichigoeric
Dear ichigoeric,

Thank you for your review and it has been a pleasure corresponding to your via e-mail regarding your comments.

I am pleased that you will be staying at our Hotel when visting Cardiff again and as discussed please do contact me when you are booked in so I can ensure that all is in order for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel again in the near.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Amazing stay, would definitely recommend. Rooms are great, got a room higher up so had a great view. Service is also brilliant. The only problem is they charge £15 for wifi, which is crazy. No on charges for wifi anymore! Hilton should definitely not!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

2 Thank Neel S
Dear Neel S,

Thank you for your fantastic review and all of your comments are great to receive. Our team of staff were thrilled to receive your review.

I have noted your comment about wifi and I can confirm that we do offer this service complimentary in our lobby/bar area and business centre. Thank you for your valuable comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Boston, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just was in for the weekend to tour the Roman Ruins and castle. It is an excellent location, and was well staffed for service. The hotel was full, but was not overcrowded. Very nice stay. The room was very clean but the mattress was a bit saggy. The bath was very spacious. Great nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Linda S
Dear Linda S,

Thank you for your great review regarding your stay with us.

I am delighted that you visited the Ruins and Castle during your visit to Cardiff and your comments are great to receive.

We have noted your feedback regarding the mattress in the room you occupied and our Executive Head Housekeeper will be checking this out- thank you for letting us know.

We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to our Hotel in the near future.

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed for one night, and was absolutely fantastic. Hotel was spotless from the moment we walked through the front door. Staff were warm and friendly, and very helpful. Room was very clean and tidy, very spacious and welcoming. Bed was very comfortable, and liked the small touches with the reading lights attached to the headboard. Didn't really get a chance to explore the facilities as only on a stopover, but would definitely visit again as they had a nice-looking gym and pool.

Cannot wait to go back!

1 Thank Trijian
Dear Trijian

Wow what a lovely review- thank you so much for taking the time to post your fab review.

All of your comments are perfect and thank you so much. I do hope you have the chance to stay longer next time to enjoy our fantastic health club facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.