“never before experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bangkok
“never before experience”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

although it was a small hotel, it was one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in!
we walked from the train station to the hotel and we were pulling into the hotel's sidewalk and when lovely old men came and took charge of our luggage. they welcomed us very nicely. the checking in was very smooth and when we came into our rooms we were astonised. for such a small hotel, it sure had out down it self,. it has really lived up to the hilton brand name. the rooms were huge and the beds were so comfortable we didn't want to leave the room. it was very centrally located, as in the hotel is right opposite the cardiff castle and its shopping areas. we also asked for some information about the city from the same old men and not only did they give us information about the city. the told us all the places worth seeing and etc. alongside that they gave me tons of maps with directions and etc. - never seen people that helpful!
not only that the breakfast was wonderful. and up to the mark. huge variety! everyday when we arrived at the breakfast lounge there would be people helping you to seats and asking you for orange juice or coffee before you even sat down! this one man called sanjeev was a darling! he was really helpful in telling us about the easier transportation modes, places of interests etc in cardiff.
overall an amazing stay thats all i can say!

• Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank aakritinist
CWLCardiff, Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
I am so pleased to read your fabulous review of our hotel. Our team always go out of their way to ensure that every guest enjoys their stay and your comments from check in to breakfast are wonderful and our team will further be inspired. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back from Bangkok soon!

Louisa Stride
Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aldershot, England
Reviewed 24 February 2010

All round excellence as you would expect from the Hilton name.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
CWLCardiff, Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank you for your review of our hotel I am so pleased that we met your expectations of the Hilton brand. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Louisa Stride
Cardiff
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I did stay over the Rugby weekend in the Hilton Cardiff.Fantastic Atmosphare with Rugby Fans. Breakfast Staff in Razzi are exellent .

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 18 February 2010
Thank you for your excellent review regarding your stay. The atmosphere in the Hotel on Rugby dates is fantastic and are one of the best in the Hotel.Thank you for taking the time to share this with everyone. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were impressed by our team and breakfast. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon hopefully on the next Rugby Day!!

Kind Regards

Rachel Cornelius
Guest Relations Manager
Hilton Cardiff
Barry Wales
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Before becoming a hotel this was a HMRC office and I worked there from 1976 until we were relocated early nineties. My retirement party was held there 5 Feb. Well organised and very friendly with professional staff made it an enjoyable event with the ballroom being well set out and the buffet superb . There were no complains from any of my guests which numbered over 100. My room was on the floor I had worked.
The hotel is of course in the centre of Cardiff which now has a lot going for it.
Would certainly stay again and recommend this hotel to friends. I have previously stayed on the Executive floor which again would recommend .

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank HailhailBarryWales
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, 14 February 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review and for sharing it with everyone. It is great to read that you worked in the original building in 1976 and that you were able to come back and enjoy your retirement party here! We are looking forward to welcoming you back once again to our executive floor.

Wales
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before but on this occasion I had a great experience from checking in at 11:30am and being allowed access to my room to checkout the following day. The breakfast was excellent too. The impersonality at Hilton has gone and you are referred to by you name by everyone. The staff were very well trained and nothing was too much trouble

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your fabulous review and for taking the time to share this with everyone. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were impressed by our team and service. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards
Executivfe Office
Reading
Reviewed 7 February 2010

What can I say about the stay this past weekend in Cardiff? - it was superb the family loved it! After a couple of hours driving from Reading we arrived in front of the Hilton Cardiff where we had booked for one nights stay on Sat 30th Jan 2010. Before I'd even stopped the concierge man, Richard, came over to help me park in the unloading area directly outside. He took all of the luggage out of the car and into the hotel for us, leaving us to check-in free of hassle. The car was take away for parking overnight, it costs £16 which is a good rate for a City. Check-in was fast and efficient, but what stood out was how friendly the staff were. We chatted for a while to the Guest Relations manager, Rachel, who took an interest in the family (my 3-year-old son was enjoying the open space to the end of the check-in area to do break-dancing!) and she made it clear the hotel would do everything to make our stay comfortable.
We went up to our Junior Suite room straight away (even though it was before the normal check-in time) and the rollaway bed was delivered for our son to sleep on next to us. I liked the size of the room, the LCD TV was large and the bathroom had a separate double walk-in shower. The room was clean and modern design which my wife and I prefer. We got unpacked and headed out looking for food as i was well past lunchtime. The hotel is situated perfectly beside Cardiff Castle next to the shopping areas. We quickly found a japanese/sushi place to satisfy our hunger. When we got back to the Hotel we went across to the Executive Lounge which is stunning. They have a wide range of fruit juices which my son loves compared to other Hiltons (eg. Paddington Hilton exec lounge only has orange juice). The view from the Executive Lounge on the 7th floor is across the road and into Cardiff Castle, so it's AMAZING! There are delicious nibbles and gorgeous cappuccino's that you just help yourself to. I had about 3 bowls of vegetable crisps, they are simply delicious!! In the evening hot food was brought out, they included tasty calamari and chicken wings. As the Executive Lounge was now packed out the food disappeared quickly. Wendy and Christophe were busy getting the guests their drinks orders. What I liked very much was that Christophe remembered my drink order and proactively offered to get another one even though there must have been 40 people in the room!
Later the three of us went to the pool which is a good size for us to swim up and down, my son loves it. I tried the bubble pool, steam room and sauna in between swims and they were very relaxing. We got back from swimming too late to go out for dinner so ordered room service. The food we ordered was of a high standard, tasty and arrived within about 30 mins or so. I would say that the price is reasonable for a 5 star hotel, i've avoided room service in some hotels because it can be extortionate. In the morning we headed down to Breakfast at about 9am. This is a full-service Hilton breakfast and was absolutely delicious. The freshly squeezed orange juice is refilled for you and I don't have to tell you all the choices you have (too many to mention!). I had freshly prepared poached eggs with my bacon hash browns, mushrooms, beans, black-pudding. Needless to say Breakfast was enjoyed very much by all of us - we had a very nice table in the conservatory which looks out to the Castle walls. We requested late checkout and because the Hotel was quieter on Sunday night they were happy to do it. This extended our stay so we could go out to visit the new John Lewis store which is only a few minutes walk away. After another swim it was time to pack and leave. Ioana on reception greeted me by name as I approached the desk to check out and took an interest in what we had done and how comfortable the stay was. The luggage was brought down from the room and actually packed into our car for us while we sat in the lobby - I didn't have to lift a finger! We enjoyed ourself so much, it was fantastically relaxing, but we know there's loads to do in Cardiff that we missed out on so we booked the Hilton Cardiff again for October and promised we would visit at least Cardiff Castle next time!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank masonreview
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for the hotel the detail you have gone to is fabulous and everyone here is so pleased with your comments especially those who you gave a special mention to! I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in October if not before!

England
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I took some time to decide whether to give this hotel a 3 or a 4, and eventually decided on the higher score because I paid a pretty cheap rate for the room. And, I wonder, is that behind the problems I had with this hotel - if a squeeze on income is leading to a squeeze on staffing.

Firstly, the good: The location is fantastic, I expect it is the best in Cardiff. And the building is lovely, on the grand side but not intimidating. Rooms are a decent size with good, solid wooden furniture. My bathroom has a bath and separate shower, and the most lovely Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. There is a fitness centre which I poked my nose into, and it looked decent.

So the fundamentals/fabric are good, but the service is creaking a bit. Firstly, the room was dirty: the carpet hadn't been hoovered properly and there was a huge, huge cobweb hanging from the window frame - of ghost-train proportions, it must have been gathering for months. Secondly, one of the bars (the one that looked nice!) was closed. That just left the second bar, which was a bit more like a pub than the bar of a 5 star hotel and just OK, not that nice. Finally, the reception didn't seem to be adequately staffed, and sometimes there were what seemed to be trainees or new staff left on their own. Now, they were mostly very nice and tried hard to be helpful - and that counts for a lot, it really does - plus everybody needs to train at some time, but I didn't expect a hotel of this class to leave inexperienced staff on their own at the reception.

I may stay again because of the location - assuming the room rate was similarly low - but I'll go with lower expectations next time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business