“Don't expect 5* I would say 3* at best! The food was awful!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Marine Spa

The Marine Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Spas & Wellness in Cardiff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The world-class Marine Spa at The St. David’s Hotel & Spa is undoubtedly the best Spa in Cardiff and Conde Nast Traveler regularly places it in the top 5 spa’s in the UK. The spa has also been awarded Platinum standard by Thalgo. Whether you have an hour to de-stress or maybe a whole day to completely unwind and relax, the Marine Spa provides the perfect environment where you can immerse yourself in relaxing surroundings and indulge in a little spa therapy right on the edge of Cardiff’s trendy waterfront. The Spa offers an indoor swimming pool, sauna, water corridor leading to swan neck fountains, hydro therapy spa pools, plus a fully equipped gym. And for pampering the luxury treatment rooms deliver a range of treatments, as well as those everyday must-haves such as manicures, pedicures and tanning. New to the Spa for 2016: we are excited to launch our brand new product house Decleor; with treatments and products on offer. For home pampering there is a range of indulgent spa and beauty products for sale, plus a wide range of beauty products from high-end beauty companies. Guest passes for the day to use facilities, hydrotherapy pool, relax lounge, waves, gym, and juice bar.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't expect 5* I would say 3* at best! The food was awful!”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I booked a spa day and meal at the Tempus and Tides restaurant in the adjoining hotel as a package for a friend and I.

The hotel/spa car park was full by the time we arrived which was 11.20 ish. I had a full body massage which was OK but didn't includes hands, feet, face or any part of the front torso. I wasn't asked if the pressure she used was OK which I would have thought was a standard question. My friend had the Marine Facial which she said was lovely.

I stayed at this hotel shortly after it first opened and was impressed but many years later it is now looking tired and is serious need of an update.
When we went into the 5* restaurant for our 2 course meal we couldn't believe how awful the food was. I had prawn cocktail to start, which was completely tasteless and a very small portion. The next course, I chose braised beef. When it arrived it was the most unattractive meal. There was a dried out tube of mash potato, with a few undercooked beans and then a creme brulee sized dollop of compressed shredded beef. The beef was tender but very dry. There was about a tablespoon of sauce but it was nowhere near enough to combat the mound of dried out mash and equally dry beef. To be perfectly honest, I have had better meals in a Wetherspoons and that is saying something!

I heard many other people moaning about the standards in the hotel e.g. there just weren't enough chairs near the pool for people to relax and the toilets had run out of toilet paper and there were empty toilet roll inners on the floor. I know some of this is the fault of visitors to the hotel and spa but it advertises itself as 5* and just doesn't live up to that rating.

Had I been expecting 3* I would have been happy with the spa and treatments but when it is advertised as 5* you expect more. I still would not have been happy with the food even if it had been advertised as 3*.

Visited April 2013

vale of glamoran, wales, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“spa day”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

went with afriend for a spa day had a wonderful day of relaxing and pampering just what the dr ordered food was fantastic and so was the company

Visited March 2012
Swansea, United Kingdom
“immaculate”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here many a time, this occassion we had a spa day with lots of treatments, relaxed & we stayed overnight for some shopping in cardiff, a lovely clean hotel, comfortable rooms with very helpfull staff

Visited March 2012
WALES
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A bit tired”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Visited the spa. Massage was far better than many of its competitors, but the ambience of 5 star luxury pampering has gone. The hotel is now in need of some TLC and serious investment.

Visited August 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“5* Don't make me laugh!”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I never find it a good start when you pull up to park at a hotel to be told there are no parking spaces,only to be told to park in the public pay an display which took 30 mins to fund a space,then to get back to the hotel to find the concierge parking a a merc a jag and a porsche! Seemingly the car park only accepts cars or 50k. Our room was a "family" room,which is a normal room with 2 camping beds in it,you had to climb over the beds to get to the other beds! Fantastic fun with 2 young children. The entire bar staff need sacking. Half the drinks they didn't even put through the till,they just left the money on top of the til,then trying to charge me £15 for a bottle of cider! Muppets. Also why would the only toilets for the function rooms be in the basement,when the room is on the second floor,with a lift that only goes one floor,the older generations at the party loved that one. If you ever intend coming to Cardiff,please save your money and don't like this dive of a place ruin a very good city,the money they charge is completely not on for the service you receive.