“friendly place to stay”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here 3 nights and found the staff very friendly, especially at breakfast. The beds were ok - in need of updating and the rooms were clean. Excellent location right in the heart of Cardiff. Great value for a few nights.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank artfan99
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry however that you found the beds hard and will have this checked out.
Once again thank you.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Very easy to get to from station, on main street so within walking distance to all pubs and clubs, no lift but staff only too pleased to help with luggage, room very comfortable, breakfast was excellent!

Room Tip: Very comfortable room, everything to hand.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paula186460
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to welcome you.
Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,Simon

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Cost £58 fro two inc breakfast. It was like going back to the 80's, and I don't think the room had been touched since then. A shabby hotel. The carpet was old, decor poor, bathroom a disgrace. Breakfast basic and I guess okay. If you want cheap book the Travelodge, at least you know what you're getting there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fezman07
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

I am very sorry that this reviewer has not enjoyed their stay. We are a one off family run business and compare favourably with the major hotel chain mentioned with the majority of guests.
Thank you.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Looked at other reviews for this hotel if you want a new hotel stay at one this hotel is central to Cardiff and yes its 150 years old,the staff were fine the room was ok for 2 stars.We checked that they did not have a lift and they put us in room 2 at the front on the same floor as the reception it had secondary double glazing that if shut kept the noise out.Yes its not the Ritz but we got what we paid for and left the hotel satisfied

Room Tip: If you find stairs difficult stay one the first floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boodera
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Thank you very much for your review.
We do as you say have stairs but sadly no elevator to all rooms.
However we will assist with luggage and as mentioned will get you a room on the lowest floor possible if requested. We are rated as a very good two star hotel so I am glad you feel we met your needs and that we were value for money.
I hope you will choose the Sandringham again on your next visit to Cardiff.
Thank you.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

The only down side on this old family run hotel is the lack of a lift, the stairs really did me in!! But the friendliness of all the staff, the jazz club made up for it. Food is all excellent with a huge choice, spotlessly clean, I would stay there again, but ask for a room at the back to avoid hearing the party revellers making their way down the street late (or early!!) at night. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. Advise on where to go, how to get there.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liesel_11
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you. I am pleased you have enjoyed our hospitality. We do not and sadly cannot get a lift installed but we are ready to help where we can.
Finally as you say we do have lots of rooms at the back which is quieter than the front.
Once again thank you. My team say they hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards, Simon

Reviewed 25 April 2011

For the price we paid and the central location, no complaints. Our room on 4th floor, 80 steps from street level, but not really a problem. Good breakfast and friendly staff

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to welcome you.
I am pleased the stairs were no problem but we can get you on a lower floor next time if you wish.
Kind regards, Simon

Reviewed 21 April 2011

I was booked into this hotel for two nights while I was on a work trip to the area. This was the first time I had been to Cardiff and for anybody staying in the city and exploring it for the first time, the location of this hotel provides an excellent base. There are quite a few steps to climb to get to the hotel and your room as there is no lift - so this is not ideal for wheelchair users or those with buggies.

On arrival, I spoke to a very helpful receptionist who went through with me the room and meal arrangements. My room (202) was a good size and very clean and comfortable with a nice bathroom. I had to go to reception twice - the first was to have my phone connected, and the second was to ask why my TV wasn't working. The latter was an embarrassing act of daftness on my part - turned out it wasn't plugged in! I was grateful to the gentleman who helped me for not hitting me over the head for being a dunce - my only excuse really is that I was very tired at this point, having travelled from Yorkshire and having had a very early start!

Unfortunately, right outside my room, there were roadworks going on all night. I didn't think it was legal for work to be carried out so late but apparently this is not the case. I didn't have the best night's sleep, and the next morning I requested a different room. This was done for me with no fuss at all and they were happy to help. They even carried my bag to the next room, for which I was grateful. The lady at reception informed me that the staff had tried to speak to the people responsible about the noise, but to no avail. But they did all they could to help. The other room I stayed in was also clean and comfortable and I slept much better the next night.

The breakfast was really nice, with staff who did everything they could to make guests comfortable. As well as the cooked breakfast, there were plenty of cereals, croissants, etc. available. For a two-star hotel, the Sandringham is excellent. If I'm being picky, I thin the decor could do with a little TLC in some places, maybe by replacing the seventies-tastic carpets, but that's me nitpicking! Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and don't worry about not checking the plug as many people have done this before :-D.
I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Kind regards,