“FANTASTIC”

Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Pontefract, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Loved my stay here. Had a lot of questions before booking and after the booking was made and it could have been seen as messing them about but no, all my queries were answered politely and in a lovely friendly manner. Pleasure to deal with from the first email. Was greeted as an old friend (instead of a new guest) when I finally got there. Even though there were steps up to reception and my room, I was asked if I needed help with my bag and case as I walk with a stick which was a lovely touch. Staff were extremely helpful and very eager to help. Room was lovely, a single but I had plenty of room to move about and wasn't looking for places to put things. :D Room was spotless and I could seriously have moved in!!! :) Bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was lovely, all staff serving were friendly and always had a smile (even early in the morning). Was in the best place for everywhere in Cardiff. Shops, library (as I needed internet access) and bars/pubs (although I heard no noise from them) were within easy reach. Would definitely recommend and would be the first place I would check availability next time I go to Cardiff. Amazing stay and a huge thanks to everyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Wow. What can I say except thank you very much for a fantastic review. I feel very humbled to read your comments. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again in the future
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Had a one night stay here with my 11 year old son on Friday 21st October.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone and will certainly be coming back to this hotel.Staff really friendly and helpfull.Rooms were perfect,really clean and tidy. Breakfast was lovely and plenty of it, with the staff very friendly.
As i was travelling alone with my son i felt very safe and happy during my stay here,as i wasnt travelling home till later the next night, i was able to leave all my luggage at the hotel while I shopped and went on a Doctor Who tour with my son, which was really helpful and much appreciated.
Overall, great value for money & highly recommended to anyone.
A very caring and friendy place to stay with a fantastic location to all amenities in Cardiff.
Lisa

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you Lisa ever so much for your excellent review.
My staff read this review and asked me to tell you that it was an absolute pleasure to meet with you and your Son.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and hope that we will welcome you again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Very nice staff and good quality in the rooms. Very happy with my stay!
The location is very good too.

Once again is the staff amazing!

• Stayed October 2011
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you very much for your 5 star review.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you again soon.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The service was excellent. They did 'that little bit extra' that really made a good impression. I was running in the Cardiff Half Marathon and I was able to leave my bag at the hotel, meaning that I didn't have to use the bag-drop at the Runners' Village (security not guaranteed there!) and allowed me the use of a shower when I came to pick it up (there were no showering facilities at the Runners' Village) which was very much appreciated as I had to get on a train for the 3 hour journey home. Although it was a Sunday when breakfast is usually later the dining room opened early (around 6:30) to allow people running in the half marathon to have a proper breakfast (the porridge was excellent) the appropriate length of time before the race. The room was great, quiet even though the hotel is on a very busy street in the city centre and I was able to get a good night's rest before the race. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and had even remembered me from when I'd stayed there 3 years previously. All in all, a better service for runners of the Cardiff Half Marathon than that provided by the 'official' race hotel where I stayed for the event in 2009.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Thank you Amy for your fantastic review.
I am very pleased to hear that you were very happy with our hospitality.
My Assistant has just taken up Marathon running and suggested that we do an early breakfast for our guests so I am glad that this was appreciated.
I hope readers will see after reading your review that we do our best to do things right. We catered for runners to use showers after the run as we felt it was the right thing to do as people and not just for business reasons.
I hope we will welcome you again in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Really enjoyed this little hotel. It was very conveniently located on a main pedestrian street in 'down-town' Cardiff. Staff were very nice. The beds were comfortable, good shower, quality towels, flat screen TV, It is located close to the castle, the train station, a number of pubs and cafes. Lot's of very good shopping nearby. I recommend this hotel if you are on a some-what tight budget. Overall a very good place. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you Sir for your excellent review. It was a pleasure to meet with you both.
I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at The Sandringham and your visit to Cardiff.
I do hope we will welcome you again in the future.
Anglesey
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Food excellent and staff helpful and friendly. Bedrooms spotlessly clean with very comfortable beds. Good size bath. Rooms a little on the shabby side.

Hotel not suitable for people unable to climb stairs. There is no lift and even the reception is reached by climbing a flight of stairs. Then more to the bedrooms. I could only give it an average mark because of this.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Thank you for your visit and excellent review. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay.
We sadly do not have an elevator as you say. We will however help with luggage if required and arrange rooms for guests on a lower floor if requested.
Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.
Kind regrds, Simon
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The hotel itself seems a little odd on first sight and as you enter the reception, however do not let this put you off.
The room was spacious and well stocked, and the bathroom was clean and large. Staff were friendly and professional and the food was fab along with a good variety all included in the price which was cheapest in cardiff yet right on st mary's st. Perfect for couples or groups on a night out, especially for St David's Hall just around the corner, which was the reason we were there for. Only two downsides, the steep stairs and lack of lift make it near impossible for those with mobility or disabled needs. And two the location can be noisy and would probably bother families with young children but did quiet down pretty quick after 12ish.
The discount at Cafe Jazz downstairs was a bonus.
All in all really happy with the place

P.S. left my iPhone headphones there and they have posted them back to me free of charge

Room Tip: At the back of the would be off the busy main St Mary's st and also away from busy side street.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to meet you both.
I am so pleased to read that you found the staff and food first class especially with the 20% discount we offer on food and drink.
I agree that it is sad that we do not have a lift. Unfortunately we have explored all options but have been refused due to there being no suitable area for it and also with the hotel being a listed building. We will assist with luggage if required.
Thank you also for stating that we are excellently located. Of course great city centre locations come with a little noise. We will as you say accommodate guests in rooms off the main street if requested and available.
I am glad that you appreciated the price. I can't always guarantee such a good rate but I promise that I take the time to check the rates on offer in Cardiff to remain extremely competitive.
You are very welcome for the return of your headphones at no cost to yourself. I promise that I stayed in two chain hotels recently and left something each time. Both hotels charged me a £7.95 standard delivery charge. I do not believe in charging guests for returning the property if the postage charge is small.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your comments on this website. It helps enormously.
I hope to welcome you again soon.