“Nice place though small”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed at Sandringham hotel in Cardiff because I wanted to shop at St Davids centre till late. The hotel is about 2 minutes walk to St Davids and on checking into my room, I saw a nice , cosy inviting bed. The linens were clean, the bathroom was clean and I had an electric kettle with tea, milk and sweetener. Indeed, it was a wholesome stay. I had heavy suitcases that I couldn't take up the stairs to my room and the front desk staff suggested that I could leave them at the front desk since it was only a one day stay. It was a welcome suggestion.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, if you can't climb stairs, you would be better off taking a room on the chec...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Hello and thank you very much for your kind words. I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the Sandringham. I hope it was not to much like home as it seemed Cardiff was the Windy City recently.
I hope you will return if you come back to Wales.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Booked this Hotel after reading reviews - needed somewhere close to Station and St Davids Hall - was not disappointed. Full of character - charming staff - makes a change from the bland chains taking over city centres. Glad to hear you are looking at lightening the decor.....but that is just a finer point - all in all a very enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose back room to avoid street cleaning noise or front room for the view...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself.
I am also grateful that you chose the Sandringham after reading reviews and my responses.
We do our very best to compete with the chain hotels but the job is made easy when guests arrive as friendly as you.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Once again thank you.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Staff were really friendly and helpful ,beds very comfortable and breakfast very tasty !
We have stayed at some of the larger,newer hotels in Cardiff, but found them a bit clinical,whereas the Sandringham has a friendly atmosphere,Thank you :-)

Room Tip: Our room was quiet, as it was at the back
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased that you have not only enjoyed your stay but you consider us favourable to the chain hotels.
My colleagues really enjoyed meeting you.
Hopefully we will see you again when next in Cardiff.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Sandringham might look a little bit shabby, and it isn't modern or state-of-the-art, but if you're looking for a comfortable room that won't break the bank, helpful and friendly staff and a location that puts you bang in the middle of the city, this hotel is just the ticket. We also enjoyed some nice food in their restaurant downstairs with a 20% discount on the bill because we were residents.

Room Tip: I had a room which was towards the back of the hotel so the noise at night was minimal.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Hello and thank you for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed yourself and appreciated our customer service.
I agree that my hotel is not a new build like many chain hotels in Cardiff. However the hotel is a Grade Two listed building and I hope guests will embrace this.
Once again thank you. I hope we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Steep staircase and no lift, but a porter came quickly after I buzzed Reception. Front desk and breakfast staff are pleasant and welcoming.
I had a twin room with a view out the window of big fans and a wall, but apparently it’s quieter than facing the street on a weekend.
Large bathroom with tub. Fan provided (and was needed). Desk and chair, hair blower, outlets at the desk. Flat-screen TV on wall. Free wi-fi, worked well in my first-floor room. Tissues. Towel-warming rack.
Bathroom could have been cleaner. The toilet was not clean when I arrived, and some hairs on the floor. Minor repairs are needed (towel ring in bathroom is broken, handle on tub is loose). There’s no fan in the bathroom.
No clock-radio in the room. No mention of recycling. Not enough hanger-hooks. Drab décor. Soft bed. Can hear noises from other rooms.
Sign in bathroom says to think of the environment and towels will be replaced only if they’re left in the tub, but they were replaced even though I had hung them up. Also, if they were serious about the environment, they wouldn’t use individual-use packets of shampoo and shower gel.
Breakfast: good fresh-fruit salad, cereals, hot breakfast by order; soymilk was available; no decaf coffee, other than instant.
Glad my room was on the first level, as two flights of stairs were enough for me. On checkout, no offer of help down the stairs with my two large bags.
They emailed me later to offer £5 off my next stay within three months – not especially generous.

Room Tip: not facing street
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LCNtraveller

Hello and thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you have generally enjoyed your stay.
Rooms at the back of the hotel are as you say quieter than the front but then there is no city view. I suppose this is the way with all City Centre Hotels.
I am happy to read that you felt the staff were excellent but I apologise that you felt the bathroom could and should have been cleaner.
There is an extractor fan in every bathroom and the clock radio is via the TV..
We do separate items for recycling ourselves. We take our environment policy seriously so I regret that you say staff still changed towels when there was no need. I have informed them that they must be changed as required.
I find single use Shampoo/Shower Gel sachets cleaner and more effective but I have noted your comments.
We would have helped with your luggage if requested so please contact us from your room should you return.
The £5 discount off a future stay was made as a gesture of goodwill to thank you for staying. I am not aware of any chain hotel that offers you a discount off your next stay just for visiting once. This offer is to guests who book via our own website and so I am sorry that it has had a negative rather than positive impression on you.
Once again thank you for your comments. I hope we will welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was attending a conference, but opted for a low priced hotel rather than paying an arm and a leg for the conference venue.

The room was large, with a full bath in the ensuite. Breakfast was good - as were the nearby pubs!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Thank you for you review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself and felt that we were excellent value for money.
I hope we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel is a very good deal right in the centre of Cardiff – only 5 minute walk from Cardiff Central. The whole place is very dated and needs serious refurbishment. But if you can see behind it, it is a good place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable. And everything worked fine. The hotel is on a street that is now a pedestrian zone, so you get no road-traffic noise. Only the old plumbing was a bit noisy. Breakfast was excellent, including fresh fruit salad and selection of yogurts. The staff were all very friendly. The only thing I personally didn’t like was that everything in the room was brown – the carpet, curtains as well as sheets. There is something about brown sheets in hotels. Even when they are clean, they don’t feel clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for your review.
I note your comments about brown furnishings. The sheets are white but the valences and duvets are as you say brown. Most people have expressed that they like this colour but admittedly some dislike it. Therefore after listening to my guests I am currently sourcing some softer colour bed runners to see if this improves the look. Hopefully this will help.
Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you again soon.