“Excellent value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Bath, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We have stayed here twice. Very much a budget hotel, though saying that it was clean, secure, and had more than adequate facilities. The staff were frendly and helpful. Decent breakfast included in price. They do a deal with a local car park, so parking is half price.
It is located above the famous Cardiff Jazz club, so top class bands in the same building. There is no problem with noise and the club finishes by 11.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Superb. Thank you Lewis_the_Barman. Great username!
I am so grateful for your posting on this website.It is much appreciated. I am pleased that you have enjoyed both the hotel and CafeJazz. I hope your third visit is not far away.
Thanks again.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Greater Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

We were looking for a clean, centrally placed accommodation as a stop over as we drove to bath. The Sandringham was clean and ideally placed. It was a pity that the hoons of the area choose to drink, yell, scream and act like idiots in the mall in front of the hotel. The soccer match played that afternoon probably didn't help the situation. In summary good clean accommodation, value for money.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Hello and thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry that there was a bit of noise in the street. You are right there was three games of rugby involving six Welsh regions playing that day so it was a bit noisy. It seemed fairly harmless but still I am glad it is only once a year.
Once again thank you.
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We got a lot for our money: a centrally located hotel, clean room, and a familiarly, friendly, and warm service. The rooms are small and there is no elevator to lift your luggage up to the maybe third floor. For us this was no problem. We loved to stay there!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for your kind words.
It was a pleasure to meet you. I am glad you enjoyed yourself in Wales
Hopefully one day I will visit your country. I hear it is beautiful.
I hope you will be able to visit us again in the future.
Ceredigion
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Cardiff is such a great place and this hotel is very convenient for the city, near to the station and shopping centre but sadly this is it's best feature. It's quite shabby and not recommended if you have difficulty with stairs as there is no lift and everything, including reception, is on the first floor and above. We paid £40 for a twin room and to be honest I wouldn't have paid much more than that, despite it's location, but I guess that it was good value for a city centre hotel. The room was small and although it was clean enough the curtains could have done with replacing and the lighting was poor. The bedcovers were brown and I found the overall impression a bit depressing. The bathroom was ok but again, well past it's best.
If you are a light sleeper be aware that St. Mary Street can be very busy at night with lots of noisy pubbers/clubbers etc, and the street cleaners get up pretty early too!!
On the up-side, the beds were comfortable and we had a good supply of fluffy white towels.
We didn't have breakfast (which costs £6 per head), so can't comment on the food, but there are plenty of places nearby where you can get something to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Hello and thank you for your review.
I am sorry to read that you felt The Sandringham Hotel was just okay.
As many reviews have said we do have stairs but sadly no lift.
I am sorry that you feel the building is quite shabby. It is not a new build hotel but a grade two listed building.
I am not sure why you felt the lighting was poor as we have many light fittings in each room.
I admit a few people are saying that they do not like the brown duvets so I am trying to buy a bed runner to compliment them.
We do have rooms at the back of the hotel if requested which is quieter than the front.
I do hope you will consider staying with us again if you feel the price is right so hopefully we can leave you with a more positive opinion of the hotel.
Once again thank you.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Located in a pedestrian street in the central business district and only a short walk from the rail and bus stations, this hotel is good value for money. There was a warm and friendly welcome from the reception staff and my room was clean and comfortable with a good bathroom en suite, The full breakfast service was spoiled only by the unwelcome and intrusive background music. The major drawback of the hotel is that there are no lifts and the stairs are steep, even the initial climb to reception was daunting. Fortunately I had only a small overnight bag, but I hate to think what I would have done with a 20 kg suitcase. If you are disabled, have difficulty with stairs, or have a lot of luggage, this hotel may not suit you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Thank you for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed yourself. We do as you say have stairs but sadly no lift. However we are happy to assist with luggage going up and or down when requested.
I am sorry that you felt that the breakfast background music was intrusive. This should not be the case and I have reminded my colleagues of this.
Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

booked for just one nighr, at £37 incl breakfast.... checked in 1/2 hour early no prob...hotel rated only 2**, but it's only because it doesn't have a lift..room small, but cosy, comfy, clean, good size bathroom with bath, shower, toiletries, flat screen tv, clothes press, fan, extra heating, hair dryier, stationery, shoe shine thinghy, , cheap with 20% discount meals dowmstairs,very central location 4 min from Rail Stn, in my travels I got a lot less in higher rated hotels!!! havent had cooked breakfast yet (also included!), what a find!!! as I said, rating 2**, because of steep staircase and no lift, but who cares, at this price and facilities!!!! Excellent!!!

• Stayed May 2012
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Wow. What a find!!! What a review!!!
Thank you ever so much for your wonderful words, you are very kind.
It was a pleasure to meet with you. I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself. We try our very best and it is genuinely really rewarding to hear that it pays off.
I hope we will see you again soon.
South West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Good for a short stay. Decor a litle dated & in need of sprucing up - but in all other respects this is a very good place for a short stay. Friendly, efficient staff - excellent location right in the heart of the city. Good breakfast - handy bar / cafe on ground floor. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Hello and thank you for your lovely words.
It is really pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable stay and I hope we will see you again soon.
Thank you for leaving a positive review on Trip Advisor.