“Cardiff weekend”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Chose the Sandringham for its convenient location, and value for money. Sian and all the staff were friendly and helpful and our breakfasts were good. We knew we had stairs to face, but were only on 2nd floor so not too bad, and we walked from Cardiff central station in about 10 mins. On the Saturday night it was noisy in the main street at the front which we had expected, but much quieter on sunday. Our rooms were clean and adequate, and I was not disturbed by any noise from inside the hotel. As it was so central it was easy to walk to the Castle, and the shops, and with directions from Sian we also walked to Cardiff Bay, though we could have gone by bus or boat-taxi. So would use the Sandringham again.

Room Tip: Ask which floor if you dont like stairs
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am also delighted to hear that you have appreciated our service although Sian is going to be unbearable for the next two weeks. She is very happy with your review.
Hopefully we will welcome the four of you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I've just returned from a lovely stay at the Sandringham Hotel. It's not brand new and could do with a like of paint here and there...............but, the friendly staff, clean rooms, clean linen and good breakfast make up for it. Located right in the City centre just minutes from the Castle, Stadium and shops, it's just right for a cheap n cheerful city break. Couple of things to remember - there are lots of stairs and no lift and if your on the top floor you need to run the shower for a while to get the hot water through.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vealygood
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the near future.
Your posting is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed at the Sandringham twice now and will continue to use this as my first choice hotel when staying in Cardiff
Its not new or refurbished but more than makes up for this by providing caring and attentive service from happy friendly staff and excellent value for money
The important things are all in place including good breakfast, clean rooms free Wi Fi etc and its location is great, in the city centre 2 mins from the train station.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian W
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you Ian for a very nice review.
Alison has also asked me to pass on her thanks for your very kind words.
I am really pleased that you and your Son have enjoyed your stay once again. Your posting on this website also helps a lot so I thank you for this.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please book direct with the hotel as this will result in the best price possible.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was a little concerned after reading some reviews but we decided as long as it was clean and comfortable it would do. Well it was more than that. Although there was no lift and the hotel was a little shabby the room was very comfortable with everything we needed, including toiletries. A power shower would be a major improvement though.
We enjoyed a good breakfast with a wide choice to suit all tastes and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed a drink in the bar and a rare chance to listen to some jazz.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you so much for your excellent review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourselves in the hotel and Cafejazz.
I agree power showers would be a welcome addition. We have these planned for the future if the current financial climate eases.
I know you were worried about some previous bad reviews but they are rare and quite some time ago. We have been consistently improving as finances permit.
Even the bad ones generally complain about the age of the building compared to the new build chain hotels.
Your review prooves that we offer value for many and I thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion. It helps greatly.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

staff super, good location, reasonable price for people on low income. just needs stairlift or a lift - not suitable for people with mobility problems

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thank you very much for your five star review.
It was a pleasure to meet you both.
The breakfast staff have asked me to thank you for entertaining them. They enjoyed your company enormously.
As you say sadly we do not and more importantly due to building restrictions cannot have an elevator. We will of course help with luggage when requested and ensure a lower floor room if available.
We are in the highly commended two star market but I do hope that people of all incomes will choose my hotel due to our attempts at being outstanding value for money.
Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed for a few nights in Cardiff at this hotel during the height of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The hotel is very tired looking inside, a bit shabby and no lift incase you're in need of one for your mobility issues or for your baggage handling issues! Having said all that, the staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, very warm welcome and great at breakfast too. The breakfast was good for the price, as was the hotel itself. The room was small and clean, big bathroom. The only issue (not the hotel's fault) was the howling crowds all night long outside. It might be worth it to ask for a room that doesn't face the front. This location is right down town though, and it is a great place to stay in that regard. The jazz restaurant downstairs was fun to go to, staff very friendly, 20% discount, and good pub food (not to mention the jazz)!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Hello and thank you for your review.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
Cardiff is a very compact city so all of the central hotels are located in busy areas. However as you say guests can request rooms at the back of the hotel which is much quieter than the front if preferred.
Although you say the hotel looked tired and a bit shabby I do hope that you feel that it is appropriate for a 2 star Grade 2 listed building.
Overall you have graded us as 4 out of 5 which is excellent and I thank you very much for this.
I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I'm used to staying in 4 and 5 star hotels, but our trip to Cardiff was very last minute and we wanted somewhere cheap and affordable. Before arriving, I was slightly worried about various things, mainly the bad reviews written on this hotel, and also that, not knowing our way around Cardiff, we would struggle to find the hotel. However, my worrying was short lived as the hotel was very central and after getting off our train it was less than a five minute walk away. When we entered the building, we were unsure what to expect, but we're welcomed by some very friendly members of staff who were more than welcoming!! We were slightly early so our room was not ready, but the lady let us leave our luggage behind the reception desk. When we got back to check in, the same lady greeted us and asked about our time in Cardiff before directing us to our room. It was very basic to what i'm used to, but despite the reviews I had read previous, it was impeccably clean! The bedding was spotless, as was everything else. We did have breakfast included in our deal, but we chose to head out for breakfast so we could explore. All in all, in my personal opinion, the hotel is perfect for a night in cardiff and you can't fault the staff or the rooms, however, if I were to go for a longer stay, I would probably go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review.
It was a pleasure to meet you both. I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and have appreciated our service.
I hope that if you consider staying with us again then you will also take the breakfast option as this is another area that we are well reviewed.
You say that you were worried about previous reviews but it has been over a year since a bad one was written on this website. On all other websites the hotel scores eight out of ten. We are also rated as the best budget hotel in Cardiff via reviews from one of the leading booking agents.
Anyway as a guest who usually stays in four or five star hotels then you are testament to the fact that we are doing a good job and are value for money.
I thank you immensely for your posting on Trip Advisor.
I hope to welcome you again soon.