“Nice central location but old and needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #24 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
“Nice central location but old and needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were at the very top, back room overlooking rooftops. No elevator. The room was expectedly small, but musty smelling. The decor needs a serious overhaul. The bed was awful! You could feel the springs; very uncomfortable. I didn't sleep much, but woke with a stiff neck and sore back. I think the entire place needs to be gutted and start over. On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Hello and thank you for your review and visit.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed the location, staff and breakfast.
Of course I am saddened to read that you feel that the entire place needs to be gutted and started over.
We are a highly commended 2 star hotel that is grade 2 listed. We are not a brand new build. We do not charge prices that would finance a major overhaul. We aim to offer outstanding value for money with a superb family run atmosphere. The rooms are 92% occupied so should not smell musty. I will have this investigated. We do not have an elevator but will help with luggage if requested.
I would be grateful if you would e-mail the hotel to inform me of the room that you stayed in. It is imperative to me that beds are comfortable. I replace the beds reguarly but I also change them if complaints are received.
I thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you again if you feel the price is appropriate.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Great staff, good freshly cooked breakfast, spotless plentiful towels and linen. Gloomy decor in the rooms but not in them long enough to matter!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you Georgie for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you have all enjoyed your stay.
I regret that you found the room gloomy. We do update rooms as finances permit.
Anyway I hope very much to see you again in the future.
Shrewsbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Chose the Sandringham for its convenient location, and value for money. Sian and all the staff were friendly and helpful and our breakfasts were good. We knew we had stairs to face, but were only on 2nd floor so not too bad, and we walked from Cardiff central station in about 10 mins. On the Saturday night it was noisy in the main street at the front which we had expected, but much quieter on sunday. Our rooms were clean and adequate, and I was not disturbed by any noise from inside the hotel. As it was so central it was easy to walk to the Castle, and the shops, and with directions from Sian we also walked to Cardiff Bay, though we could have gone by bus or boat-taxi. So would use the Sandringham again.

Room Tip: Ask which floor if you dont like stairs
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am also delighted to hear that you have appreciated our service although Sian is going to be unbearable for the next two weeks. She is very happy with your review.
Hopefully we will welcome the four of you again in the near future.
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I've just returned from a lovely stay at the Sandringham Hotel. It's not brand new and could do with a like of paint here and there...............but, the friendly staff, clean rooms, clean linen and good breakfast make up for it. Located right in the City centre just minutes from the Castle, Stadium and shops, it's just right for a cheap n cheerful city break. Couple of things to remember - there are lots of stairs and no lift and if your on the top floor you need to run the shower for a while to get the hot water through.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Vealygood
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the near future.
Your posting is much appreciated.
Thank you.
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed at the Sandringham twice now and will continue to use this as my first choice hotel when staying in Cardiff
Its not new or refurbished but more than makes up for this by providing caring and attentive service from happy friendly staff and excellent value for money
The important things are all in place including good breakfast, clean rooms free Wi Fi etc and its location is great, in the city centre 2 mins from the train station.

1 Thank Ian W
, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you Ian for a very nice review.
Alison has also asked me to pass on her thanks for your very kind words.
I am really pleased that you and your Son have enjoyed your stay once again. Your posting on this website also helps a lot so I thank you for this.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please book direct with the hotel as this will result in the best price possible.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was a little concerned after reading some reviews but we decided as long as it was clean and comfortable it would do. Well it was more than that. Although there was no lift and the hotel was a little shabby the room was very comfortable with everything we needed, including toiletries. A power shower would be a major improvement though.
We enjoyed a good breakfast with a wide choice to suit all tastes and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed a drink in the bar and a rare chance to listen to some jazz.

, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you so much for your excellent review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourselves in the hotel and Cafejazz.
I agree power showers would be a welcome addition. We have these planned for the future if the current financial climate eases.
I know you were worried about some previous bad reviews but they are rare and quite some time ago. We have been consistently improving as finances permit.
Even the bad ones generally complain about the age of the building compared to the new build chain hotels.
Your review prooves that we offer value for many and I thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion. It helps greatly.
Bingley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

staff super, good location, reasonable price for people on low income. just needs stairlift or a lift - not suitable for people with mobility problems

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you very much for your five star review.
It was a pleasure to meet you both.
The breakfast staff have asked me to thank you for entertaining them. They enjoyed your company enormously.
As you say sadly we do not and more importantly due to building restrictions cannot have an elevator. We will of course help with luggage when requested and ensure a lower floor room if available.
We are in the highly commended two star market but I do hope that people of all incomes will choose my hotel due to our attempts at being outstanding value for money.
Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you again in the future.