“Great little gem just needs finishing touches!”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel last night, the staff are very helpfull and friendly and the customer service is brilliant, the breakfast was very good with lots of choice and good quality food. The room was a good size and although we where at the back of the hotel with no view this didn't matter as it was quieter late on a Friday night. The only issue we had was that although the room was clean and a little old fashioned the bed was very uncomfortable and blatantly broken on one side, the shower curtain didn't go all around the bath so we ended up with a pond on the bathroom floor and the door handle to the bathroom was broken, I think if they inspected the rooms and fixed these things then this hotel would be fantastic, as it is we aren't likely to return which is a shame as everything else was so good

• Stayed: August 2012
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Hello and thank you for your very nice and informative review.
I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed breakfast and our customer service.
In reference to the maintenance issues I do regular inspections but I admit that I do not check the shower curtain width or bathroom door handles. I agree that I need to as I realise that these issues are not only a problem for my guests but also to me as water pooling on the floor could leak to rooms down below.
I would be grateful if you would email me on sandringhamsales@gmail.com to tell me the room you stayed in. The bed should not be broken and I will deal with this immediately.
Your criticisms are very constructive and I do hope that you will consider returning as you really seemed to have enjoyed your stay and I can promise that I will act on your findings.
Once again thank you.

There are newer reviews for Sandringham Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed here when we visited Cardiff for the Olympic football. We easily found the hotel in St Marys street about 5 mins walk from the train station. At first we were rather apprehensive as the entrance was on the road and the reception was up a flight of stairs, however the staff were very friendly and we quickly shown to our room. The hotel is very dated but the rooms were very clean, comfortable beds etc. Breakfast was included and a very good home cooked full english was served by very friendly staff. For just a short stay I would definitely return and the hotel is only a couple of mins walk from the main shopping centre.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am glad that you and your daughter have enjoyed yourselves.
I think you will agree that the atmosphere in the City was fantastic.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were at the very top, back room overlooking rooftops. No elevator. The room was expectedly small, but musty smelling. The decor needs a serious overhaul. The bed was awful! You could feel the springs; very uncomfortable. I didn't sleep much, but woke with a stiff neck and sore back. I think the entire place needs to be gutted and start over. On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2012
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Hello and thank you for your review and visit.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed the location, staff and breakfast.
Of course I am saddened to read that you feel that the entire place needs to be gutted and started over.
We are a highly commended 2 star hotel that is grade 2 listed. We are not a brand new build. We do not charge prices that would finance a major overhaul. We aim to offer outstanding value for money with a superb family run atmosphere. The rooms are 92% occupied so should not smell musty. I will have this investigated. We do not have an elevator but will help with luggage if requested.
I would be grateful if you would e-mail the hotel to inform me of the room that you stayed in. It is imperative to me that beds are comfortable. I replace the beds reguarly but I also change them if complaints are received.
I thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you again if you feel the price is appropriate.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Great staff, good freshly cooked breakfast, spotless plentiful towels and linen. Gloomy decor in the rooms but not in them long enough to matter!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Thank you Georgie for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you have all enjoyed your stay.
I regret that you found the room gloomy. We do update rooms as finances permit.
Anyway I hope very much to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Chose the Sandringham for its convenient location, and value for money. Sian and all the staff were friendly and helpful and our breakfasts were good. We knew we had stairs to face, but were only on 2nd floor so not too bad, and we walked from Cardiff central station in about 10 mins. On the Saturday night it was noisy in the main street at the front which we had expected, but much quieter on sunday. Our rooms were clean and adequate, and I was not disturbed by any noise from inside the hotel. As it was so central it was easy to walk to the Castle, and the shops, and with directions from Sian we also walked to Cardiff Bay, though we could have gone by bus or boat-taxi. So would use the Sandringham again.

Room Tip: Ask which floor if you dont like stairs
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am also delighted to hear that you have appreciated our service although Sian is going to be unbearable for the next two weeks. She is very happy with your review.
Hopefully we will welcome the four of you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I've just returned from a lovely stay at the Sandringham Hotel. It's not brand new and could do with a like of paint here and there...............but, the friendly staff, clean rooms, clean linen and good breakfast make up for it. Located right in the City centre just minutes from the Castle, Stadium and shops, it's just right for a cheap n cheerful city break. Couple of things to remember - there are lots of stairs and no lift and if your on the top floor you need to run the shower for a while to get the hot water through.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vealygood
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed yourself.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the near future.
Your posting is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed at the Sandringham twice now and will continue to use this as my first choice hotel when staying in Cardiff
Its not new or refurbished but more than makes up for this by providing caring and attentive service from happy friendly staff and excellent value for money
The important things are all in place including good breakfast, clean rooms free Wi Fi etc and its location is great, in the city centre 2 mins from the train station.

1  Thank Ian W
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you Ian for a very nice review.
Alison has also asked me to pass on her thanks for your very kind words.
I am really pleased that you and your Son have enjoyed your stay once again. Your posting on this website also helps a lot so I thank you for this.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please book direct with the hotel as this will result in the best price possible.