“Friendly city centre hotel”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The hotel is right in the heart of Cardiff just a few minutes' walk from the central railway station. Within 15 minutes it is possible to walk to almost anywhere in the city including the main shopping area and malls. The main gate of the Millennium Stadium is about a 5 minute walk away. The staff at the hotel are all very friendly and helpful. Everyone says hello, and the guest is made to feel very welcome. The decor is a little in need of updating, and there is no lift which some might see as an issue, but this is compensated by the welcoming staff. Breakfast is good with a full cooked if you want it (I did!) and a good range of fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, cereals, juices and breads. The wait staff in the breakfast room are just brilliant; always cheerful, always welcoming, always helpful. There are toasters to make your own toast but I never needed to - the wait staff always offered to do it for me. The bedroom was warm, and secure with a good shower and plenty of hot water. Sound proofing was really good - I didn't hear anything of the late night city centre life which meant I got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank you so much for your smashing review.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind words to all the staff especially the girls on breakfast.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post on this website.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We chose the hotel because of its location, which is very centric and near the train station.
The staff was great, everyone very friendly and nice.
Breakfast is good, but if you do not like the full English breakfast, then you might find the choice of food for breakfast a bit basic (I like the cooked breakfast, so I was happy with the choice).
The rooms would need some update, they look a bit old, but otherwise it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review.
I have added more items for breakfast since your last visit so hopefully you will stay again with us soon to see the improvements.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Sandringham Hotel in the heart of Cardiff has done something that few hotels rarely provoke me to do and that is to write a review of it. I have stayed in many hotels through the course of my travels but none so friendly and welcoming as what greeted me when I checked in at the Sandringham. Having booked last minute, I not only felt welcomed, but more importantly welcomed home - as though the hotel had been planning my arrival for days (when I had in fact only booked that very morning) ! The receptionist was friendly, collegial, and welcoming as was the rest of the hotel staff and I had a feeling that nothing was too much for them.

The Sandringham Hotel is listed as being a family-run hotel and this sense of familial commitment and ethos to their guests is echoed in their professional practice and the way that the family - the hotel - run the business. The rooms may be ever so slightly dated in appearance but I must admit that I have paid considerably more for a lower quality of room that one typically would find in impersonal chain hotels - For the sacrifice of cutting edge design rooms, I'd happily stay over and over again here, in rooms which are ever so quaint and welcoming. The rooms are fully equipped with everything one could possibly need, including complementary tea and coffee, hair dryers, trouser press, and even real glasses in the bathroom (additional attention to detail that made me smile - I never have liked the plastic beakers left by other chain hotels!). The internet connection is free of charge, of an excellent speed and reliable. The beds are comfortable and I had, quite possible, one of the best night's sleep in a long time.

The owners of this hotel have gone to incredible lengths to ensure that their guests' stay is as comfortable as possible - and it really does show. If you're travelling through and are spending the night / a couple of nights in Cardiff then the quality of your stay in Cardiff will be guaranteed should you decide to stay at the Sandringham. Inexpensive, clean, and an almost 'home comfort' can be had at this hotel.

You would pay much much more to receive much much less in a generic, impersonal chain hotel. Bravo Sandringham, Bravo!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank berrymj
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Wow, wow and wow some more.
Thank you for such a kind review. I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and my colleagues would also like me to pass on their thanks to you. Our intention is to serve guests as we would like to be served and it certainly seems that we have succeeded.
I cannot thank you enough for sharing your thoughts on this website and I hope we will welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

The best communication from a hotel all staff very professional and helpful and also very accommodating. Rooms them selves a little out dated but very clean and comfortable lovely little touches as well , we especially enjoy the bottled water with the hospitality tray as not everyone drinks tea and coffee. On the whole a stress re break in a lovely budget hotel

Room Tip: Great Location for access to city centre and millennium stadium
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review.
It was a pleasure to welcome you. I am glad that you have found the staff professional and helpful. They have all been with me for some time now so it is good to read that they are still keeping up the good work.
I am very grateful for your kind words on this website and I hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Good, inexpensive hotel in city centre, close to rail and bus stations. On pedestrianized St Mary's Street, plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs all around, but windows are glazed to block out street noise. Clean, very friendly staff, good breakfast. Lacks lift. In all, a convenient, no-frills place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and I thank you for your posting on this website. I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Lovely city centre location makes this very small hotel ideal for an overnight stay.

Inside the hotel is clean but quite shabby and really could do with a refurbishment to bring it up to a good standard. Our room was quite large with a surprisingly comfy double bed. The furnishings were fairly worn with a few broken items (dressing table chair and light over sink). The bathroom was tired and basic but plenty of hot water for shower. Orange wallpaper and brown shag pile carpet gave it a retro look.

The breakfast was okay, but nothing special. A bowl of chopped fresh fruit , selection of yoghurt and cereal and pain au chocolate was on offer. My husband tells me the cooked breakfast was nice (but no toast offered or bought to table which was unusual.) Very basic breakfast room with pvc wipe clean table cloths.

The service from reception to breakfast staff was friendly and pleasant.

Parking at the NCP car park just round the corner is discounted through the hotel and only £9 for 24 hours, which is a real bonus. It’s only a short walk to the hotel from the car park but, as previously mentioned, no lift at the hotel so be prepared to carry your luggage up lots of stairs.

This is an ideal cheap overnight stay if you are looking for somewhere inexpensive to just sleep. We were attending a graduation just round the corner so it was ideal. As it is in the heart of the city it's accessible to all the bars and clubs, restaurants etc. I wouldn’t recommend it for a city break where the hotel and room need to be relaxing and comfy and add to the enjoyment of the break. My husband is much happier than me to rough it but even his assessment was ‘very shabby’. For location and price though, hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Hello and thank you for review.
I am very pleased to read that you and your husband have enjoyed most aspects of the hotel.
The chair and light have been corrected since my last check but I am sorry that this was not picked up before.
Toast for breakfast is a help yourself located on the cereal table.
I am very sorry that you both feel the hotel was shabby. We are not a brand new build and so not as modern as some but I promise all profit is put back into the business. No profit is taken out for ourselves. A vast refurbishment would mean higher prices and then we would be competing against higher graded hotels.
As your review suggests we more than live up to the competition in the budget market.
I thank you for your comments and hope to welcome you both again where hopefully you will find us good value for money.
Thank you.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

First impressions of this hotel are not good. It's a tiny entrance and up stairs to reception. The staff are really friendly though and we were shown to our room straight away, despite getting there at 10:00 in the morning. The room was clean and comfortable although in need of an update.

We stayed at this hotel for the Olympic football on Saturday 4th August. The location is fantastic for events at the Millennium Stadium, which probably contributes to the biggest problem with the hotel. It's so noisy! We were given a room at the front on the first floor and there is a nightclub below our room. It was 4:00 in the morning before we got any sleep. We were woken up about 6:00 by the street cleaners.

Breakfast was good and again, the staff were really friendly. You also get a concession in the NCP car park which is about a 100 meters away.

I'd love to recommend this hotel but because of the noise and lack of sleep, I can't. If you're going for a stag weekend or hen party and you'll be one of the revellers in the club, the hotel will be perfect. If you're not a late night reveller and you need your beauty sleep, ask for a room on the back and high up.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, ask for a room high up at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed breakfast, our customer service and the reduced car parking charges that we have negotiated with NCP.
I am sorry that you did not get much sleep. Like all city centre hotels noise on a Saturday is much more than any other day. Also the Olympic Football brought an additional crowd of 70,00 to add to the atmosphere. We do not have music going on until 4.00am though but I realise it might have felt like it.
We have rooms at the back of the hotel which are much quieter and can be requested if available. I do hope that you will give us another try in the future as it does seem that you have enjoyed a lot about the hotel. If you do then please contact me direct so that I can guarantee you a quieter room.
Thank you.