“Tired and dated”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel in June for two nights first room the bed was falling apart so we asked for a change of room we were given another room but that was not much better.the rooms need a good make over.staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was in a good location just needs money spending on the place.

• Stayed: June 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you very much for your visit and review.
I am disappointed that you did not completely enjoy your stay.
We do upgrade as finances permit but attempt to remain in our very good two star bracket as room rates would have to rise to move to the next level.
However I do listen to all guests comments. I was made aware of your request to move rooms due to the bed base. I investigated immediately and had the base replaced the very next day. I will also check the second room to see if it needs changing as well.
I am proactive to guests points of view and I hope that with this in mind you will think of returning.

There are newer reviews for Sandringham Hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Sandringham started earing brownie points 2 weeks before my visit with a friendly courtesy call. My room was ready earlier than check in time, and was spotless, comfortable and quiet. The staff couldn't do enough to help, aiding with directions and short cuts to places and were very friendly. Breakfast was amazing - didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. After checkout I was even able to leave my bag with them while I went off to explore the city further. I needed somewhere reasonable and central and this hotel came up trumps. I only stayed for one night, but will definately be back for a longer visit. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Wow thank you so much.
I am delighted to read that we have met your needs.
We do our best to make guests feel welcome and I am glad that you have feel we achieve this.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

A group of friends and I recently stayed in Cardiff for the Mrs Browns' Boys live show. Upon check-in staff were friendly and courteous. We were shown to our rooms, which were spotless and comfortable. There were plenty of in-room amienities. Breakfast was of excellent quality, the waitress (Ruth) was professional and lovely and the portions were very ample.

We will definately be returning soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely words.
It was really nice to meet all of you.
I will pass on your comments to Ruth as she will be delighted to hear them.
I hope you enjoyed the show. I also saw it and thought it was great.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Obviously this is a converted old town house and you have to respect that and the constraints it imposes........fire doors, steep stairs etc. However, as value for money, especially being in the centre of the city, its unsurpassed. Will you get better, yes, of course, but you will pay a lot more. And yes, I have stayed in some of the close by hotels which charge a lot more. Staff friendly, room clean and everything I can think of was provided. Whoever owns it, Well Done. We slept as well here as anywhere else. There is a bit of noise from the street cleaners etc, but what can you expect when you are in the very centre of a major city. If you want quiet, get a hotel 5 miles out, in a forest.

Room Tip: Up to you, street view to people watch or back room for a quiet life.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave K
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you very much your visit and review.
It is really nice to read such nice and genuine comments.
I am glad that we have met your needs and hope that we will welcome you again soon.
I'm sure we will get more customers from your kind words and I thank you for this.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My Husband and I stayed here for just one night when visiting Cardiff for the Bonjovi concert. The location of the hotel was great, bang in the middle of the city. The hotel have a concession for parking in the NCP carpark which saves you a few pounds. The staff at the hotel are brilliant they are so helpful and so friendly I couldn't fault them.The breakfast was lovely and there was plenty of it (too much for me ). The building is a lovely building, but I would say it could do with a bit of a spruce up, it's very tired and would definitely benefit from some money spent on it, but in saying this I would stay here again. Thankyou to all the lovely staff and we may see you again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you very much for your smashing review.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and I trust that you also enjoyed the Bon Jovi concert.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed here for one night for a work event, and I must say that it was very good value for money. It was £36 for a single room and breakfast which is very good considering it was five minutes walk from the station. My taxi driver told me it was the oldest hotel in Cardiff, and I liked it's faded charm - however, there were things that nudged the charm into tattiness. For example, the net cutains were grey and frayed, and the the corner of the toilet window was dirty, mouldy and black.
My room was a single on the top floor. It was small but cosy, and had everything I needed. The duvet colour is a bit grim, but I have to say that the bed was very comfy and I had a great night's sleep. I was grateful that a fan was provided as the room was really hot, and the windows hard to open. Breakfast was good and the staff were friendly. However, the decor in the dining room made it look a bit dark and dingy.
With a few touches, this hotel could be a real gem. Would I stay again? Most likey, yes.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs and no lift, so beware if mobility not good
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your visit and review.
It was a real pleasure to meet you.
I am glad you have enjoyed the charm of our hotel but I also note your comments.
The windows are the wooden type in keeping with the building but I promise to check on them to ensure they are in good repair.
The breakfast room which is not our main restaurant does suffer from a lack of natural daylight so maybe this makes it look dark in the mornings. I will see if we can improve the lighting to see if this helps.
I thank you for taking your time to post on this website and hope that we will welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed here for one night while waiting to move in to our rented accomodation in Cardiff. We weren't expecting too much but were very pleasantly surprised. In addition to the excellent central location the double room was spacious, clean, well maintained and equipped and quiet, with a decent sized bathroom with both a bath and shower and complementary toiletries. We had a good night's sleep and were very comfortable.The free high-speed wi-fi was a bonus. A lot of hotels charge extra for this. The breakfast was fantastic - a wide choice of good quality continental and English. The staff at reception and at breakfast were friendly and helpful. The waitress that served us was a lovely, lively lady who put a smile on our faces! Other reviewers have commented on the out-dated interior but we actually liked the old-fashioned feel of this place - it helped give the hotel a warmth and character that most modern, larger hotels don't have. And the value for money here can't be beaten. We didn't take advantage of the discount in the downstairs Jazz Cafe but thought it was a nice extra. I guess the only downside was the absense of a lift but it wasn't a problem for us and it seemed like the staff would've been happy to help people anyway. We moved onto hostel accomodation after this to help keep our spending down but both agreed that if our budget allowed it, we'd have happily 'lived' here until our flat was ready!! And the fact the manager is taking the time to reply to every review on this site speaks volumes about this lovely hotel. We would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Wow what a magnificent review.
Thank you for your very kind words.
It was lovely to meet you and I am really pleased that you have enjoyed all areas of the hotel.
Hopefully we will welcome you again to stay or maybe a visit in Cafejazz.
It is very nice of you to mention my replies. I honestly do care and do my best to make sure guests are well catered for.
I am sure your review must have taken you some time and so I send my sincerest thanks to you.