“If you are staying Cardiff,,,,”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“If you are staying Cardiff,,,,”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Talking to the guy emptying bins yesterday outside the hotel. He asked where I was staying and I pointed. He then said, the staff in there are great and he was right. They cannot do enough. Breakfast was mothered by a delightful lady who obviously has great pride. I don't think anyone leaves here hungry! Reception was delightfully looked after and again, helped to find solutions to issues. All in all a good stay for what I paid.

• Stayed September 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and lovely review.
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and I will pass your comments on to Ruth who works on breakfast. She will be very happy to hear them.
As a small family business it is very rewarding to hear our felllow locals are also saying nice things about us.
Once again thank you for posting on this website. Hopefully we welcome you again soon.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
ross on wye
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Central Cardiff. Easy walk to train station. Decent breakfast, clean rooms although a bit small, large functional bathroom with clean towels. Central Cardiff. Good value for money. If your looking for a top class hotel this is not it., but for the price you pay its very good value for money. Ps good Jazz club next door that is a part of the hotel. Also you get a 20 percent discount voucher when you book in which is ok

• Stayed September 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and review.
I am very pleased that you have enjoyed all areas of the hotel and hope that
we will welcome you again in the future.
Swansea
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over a period of about ten years and whenever I visit Cardiff and consider booking somewhere else I always end up coming back to this little gem. The location is excellent, we didn't have a car and it was only five minutes walk from the central bus/train station. Most of Cardiff's main shopping areas are within easy walking distance for the able bodied, and not too unmanageable even for a shuffler like me.

There are downsides which are becoming a little less easy for me to overcome but these are specific to me and probably wouldn't affect most visitors. My problem is mobility. In the last few years I have developed problems with my knees which mean I need a stick to walk with and can't lift my legs easily. This is where the issues lie. The hotel has no lift, which it does point out, I had forgotten however just how many stairs there are here. There is a double flight just to get to reception. However on my arrival the receptionist and other members of staff were very very helpful and rearranged my room booking so that I had as few flights of stairs to manage as possible. Finding me a room at short notice on the same floor as reception, even though I hadn't asked for this special consideration. They even took my bags to my room. As I haven't had this disability long I constantly overestimate how much I can do, and was very grateful for this kindness as I don't think I could have actually managed more flights of stairs despite thinking initially that I could.

The only other issue which makes it awkward for those with any mobility problems is that the shower is over the bath and fixed on a rigid pole rather than a flexible hose. Which means if you have dodgy legs you can't use the bath OR the shower. If it had been on a hose I could have used it to wash my hair and in some capacity for my body, as it was I had to use the sink and jug. Sorry to go into such depth on this but I thought it might be useful if you are planning a prolonged stay and have a disability. I had no problem with using the sink for my ablutions for the few days we were there.

Despite my circumstances making certain aspects a little tricky the room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable giving myself and daughter an excellent nights sleep. There is no air conditioning (that I'm aware of) but the room was not stuffy or too hot, we had the window open all of the time and yes there was a lot of street noise, but I quite like this and it didn't prevent us from sleeping. If you want quiet when the window is shut you can barely hear anything. The desk was useful, and tea making facilities were on a par with other places I've stayed. The room and bathroom were nice and clean and housekeeping always knocked to ask if we wanted room service before entering.

The free internet was very useful as I spent a lot of time in my room when not helping my daughter move into her university accommodation. It meant I could keep up with everything I needed to do, and was never bored. Although the signal did have a tendency to drop out on occasion it was perfectly useable, even for skype calls.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel, there was a nice selection of self serve items, juice, cereal pastry and toast and hot drinks. There was also a good selection of cooked breakfasts, which were tasty, plentiful, beautifully prepared and served by lovely helpful and friendly staff.

The Sandringham really does have a family feel to it and I would be happy to come back time and time again, I can't emphasise enough how wonderful the people working there are. Although my health issues may force me to look for somewhere with a lift in future I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie B
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
It was lovely to see you and your daughter again.
I am so sorry that we are unable to have a lift. We have explored all options but to no avail. We are about to have a handrail on both sides of the staircase to help a little bit. As a genuine bunch of people then we also find it sad that we are unable to help guests with mobility issues.
We will of course always get a room on the reception floor for you and help with luggage. I note your point about the shower hose. Some rooms have hoses and I will ensure all do from now on whenever the existing ones need replacing.
I do hope we welcome you again in the future but I fully understand if this is not the case. Hopefully we will at least see you in Cafejazz, our ground floor restaurant.
I am so grateful to you for recommending us.
Please wish your daughter the best of luck in Uni for me please.
Melbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here for a two night weekend and found this hotel to be wonderful. Clean, comfortable and staffed by very friendly and helpful people. The breakfasts were delicious and plentiful and we were served by welcoming and efficient staff. We slept soundly despite our room overlooking the main street - once the window was closed we heard nothing. The room had everything we needed (even biscuits were included on the beverage tray!) - large, comfortable twin beds, warmth, huge bathroom with a large 'lie down' bath, powerful shower and plenty of hot, hot water.Its location is fantastic for getting around the city and was a very short walk from the train and bus stations. Congratulations and thanks for a wonderful stay; it is nice to know that hotels like this still exist. We are planning to return in December and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Do not let the location, façade and age of the building put you off.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Wow. Thank you so much for your fantastic review.
It was great for us to meet you both. As I have written before we are a local family business so our advertising budget is very small. Having such positive comments on this website will help us go along way in our attempt to gain custom from the chain hotels.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again soon.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel is fantastic! It is right in the middle of everything! I slept like a baby every night, noise outside, but as soon as you shut the windows you hear nothing! The facilities were great.. showers got a great water pressure too which is unusual! The people were extremely lovely and helpful and make you feel very welcome from the minute I walked up the stairs. I had everything I needed and the breakfasts were plentiful and set me up perfectly for the long day (business trip). I did try the adjoining restaurant and was very welcoming and tasty too! Couldn't say a bad thing about this hotel actually, the best sleep I've had in a hotel to date as just so comfy. All the staff were exceptionally lovely and said morning to you each day with a smile on their faces. I look forward to staying here again! See you in a few weeks! x

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and lovely review.
Our work is made easier when guests arrive really looking forward to their stay and embracing the family atmosphere.
You enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer even though you were in Cardiff for business and not leisure. You equally put a smile on our faces and we also look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bari, Puglia, Italy
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very warm and comfortable room, large bathroom, very clean, huge breakfast and plenty of food, very friendly atmosphere, very helpful the staff, very, very nice people. Hotel in the city centre!!! I definitely recommend this hotel to everybody!!!
I enjoyed my holyday thanks to this hotel!! I'll return!!!!

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review.
It was lovely for us all to meet you. I already miss my chats with you both.
Hopefully one day I will get to visit your city to see how beautiful Southern Italy is.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again in the future.
I hope all your students behave for you when you are back to work.
Thanks again.
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend and as a previous review states, Cardiff at the weekend and especially the street this hotel is on is very busy and very noisy with its bars and clubs. That being said I slept like a log after having a few beers myself!!! The hotel is clean and it has everything necessary for staying, including a good breakfast. Where this hotel really excels is its staff, I have NEVER stayed anywhere the staff are so lovely, helpful, polite and friendly. Honestly the guys here could teach the bigger hotel chains a thing or two about the hospitality business. Well done. I will be back for a forth stay!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you so much for your repeat custom and review.
It is always nice to see you. We do our very best and I am certain that each and everyone of my staff care about getting things right.
For you to comment on them in such a positive way is humbling and I am very grateful to you.
Hopefully as you say your fourth visit will come again soon.