“Excellent stay”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for one night in a twin room. Very spacious room, clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful, breakfast excellent and value for money is second to none. If ever I go to Cardiff again - this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review.
My biggest hope is that we above all else offer value for money.
For you to say we are second to none is fantastic and lovely to hear.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Perfect city centre location, 5 minutes walk from car park on Quay Street and plenty of restaurants. Close to the castle and the lovely Bute Park, and so convenient for the hop-on hop- off city tour open top bus. Half an hour's walk to Cardiff Bay where there is so much to see, including fabulous historic and new buildings. There are boat trips into the bay or the option of a 5 mile circular walk around it, both taking in so much of the city's history.
The hotel can only be accessed by stairs and there are no lifts to rooms, but fine for those travelling light and with no mobility difficulties. We had a quiet room towards the back on the first floor,and were not disturbed by any street noise. Although our twin room was small there was storage space,clothes hanging, mirrors and plenty of lights and power points. Really liked the bathroom, spotlessly clean with a good shower,although I would have preferred a screen instead of the cling-on curtain!
Breakfast, available from 7.30 till 9.30am, consisted of cereals, yogurts,pastries,toast, fruit, porridge (plenty for me!) plus full English in all it's combinations ( too much for me!). One of our party had scrambled eggs and poached eggs the next day, and they looked perfect and were polished off in no time!
We would certainly return to this hotel- no frills and good value!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on booking( as suggested on a Trip Advisor review) and got one. Take light...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you very much for expressing your views on this website.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and your party and very nice to read your lovely comments.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

A very pleasant stay, room spacious and very clean, hearty breakfast, and very friendly and helpful staff
Location excellent for enjoying all that Cardiff has to offer
Would certainly revisit in the future , extremely well priced

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you very much for your visit and lovely review.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind comments to my staff.
Hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was a great hotel. Coveniently situated on the main street on Cardiff city centre, the welcome was warm and friendly at reception. The room I had was twin bedded, en suite and spotlessly clean and uncluttered. The full english breakfast was tasty and generous but there were lots of other options available too. The waiters were always on hand to attend to requests and were polite and smiling! Reception even went to the trouble of enquiring bus times and routes - very kind !

This hotel I will definitely stay at again, It was efficient and pleasant and terrific value. In my opinion, it deserves 5 star rating! Thank you all at the Sandringham - a very apt name as my friends and I I were treated like royalty !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for quietness, as at weekends Cardiff is a busy, noisy city.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lyncarolmold

What a wonderful review. Thank you.
It was really nice to meet you all.
Guests who arrive really looking forward to their stay do generally seem to have a nice time.
You mixed in beautifully with our friendly family atmosphere.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay in this hotel. Staff were friendly, the rooms were small but comfortable and clean and the washroom was, by UK standards, quite large. The only complaints I have are as follows:
1) There are a lot of stairs and no elevator. There's a fairly long staircase you have to go up just to get to the reception desk. Then another staircase to get to the first set of rooms (unless you stay on the floor near reception which I DO NOT recommend as the noise from the streets below makes it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep).
2) This is more of a general complaint against the bedding in UK hotels in general: there's only one fitted sheet and a duvet. No sheet between you and the duvet. I didn't feel totally comfortable with this arrangement as the bedding was quite old and worn.
3) There is no alarm clock in the room. You can request a wake-up call from reception but I personally like to have a clock around.

The biggest thing this hotel has going for it is its location. It is extremely close to Cardiff Castle as well as being in the heart of all the shopping arcades, Cardiff Market and a public library. I also found that the continental breakfast offered great value for money.

Room Tip: It's a catch-22: higher rooms are quieter but have more stairs to go up; lower rooms are more ac...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write your review.
Sadly as discussed on this website we have stairs but no elevator due to the nature of the listed building. Rooms are quieter as you say off the front and higher up and can be requested if needed.
We do change the duvet cover on each departure and feel this to be a very clean way of servicing the room. However I have noted your point about a top sheet.
The alarm clock is on the tv. I will ensure the in-room instructions mention this on our next print.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay and our breakfast.
Once again thank you and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for one night and the single room was like a prison cell. I was on the third floor which ok was quiet but looked out onto a roof ,single bed squeezed into a space pushed against the wall.Very springy mattress. Bathroom was fine as was the shower and hot water available.
Very good breakfast in the morning and I ached all over from the poor quality mattress.
Unfortunately when I got home I found insect bites to my body probably from the bed or from the room....yuck!!!!!
Thanks but next time I'll book into a better hotel for the same price with a double bed and more space .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen C

Thank you Helen for your review.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
I agree that the room you stayed in is compact. We only have a couple of these but felt the low rate reflected this. We would have moved you to another room if we knew you were not happy. It is honestly our intention to give guests value for money. I genuinely do not know of another city centre hotel that charged as low as the price paid. I realise that this does not matter when you do not enjoy yourself.
I do update mattresses when informed by guests and I will get this one changed. I do genuinely act on customer comments.
I am not sure if you left the window open and something has bitten you or whether this happened elsewhere but I can promise that we have no issues in the room and this has been confirmed by an external company.
I hope you will consider returning to us again to try us once more. I will guarantee you a larger room and would love to show you how welcoming we are. Every one of my team try their very best to see guests leave with a positive opinion of the hotel and I would be very grateful to have a second chance.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel. Our room was on the 3rd floor, there are a lot of stairs to walk as there is no lift!
The room was a good size and very clean.
The room was quiet at night as we wer at the back of the hotel. I would imagine it could be noisy at the front of the hotel as its directly on St Mary Street.
Breakfast was lovely, service qas very quick, staff very polite and friendly.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you Cerys for your lovely review.
I am really pleased that you have both enjoyed your stay.
I note from your other review that this visit was near your anniversary date so I am delighted that we have impressed you at such a special time.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.