“our best hotel for years”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Pirna, Germany
“our best hotel for years”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

For a couple of years my daughter and me visit UK once a year. This hotel has been the most pleasant regarding the location right in the centre of Cardiff and also the warm relations with the staff during our 5 days` stay. Everything else was okay, too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hartmut A
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
I am very pleased to read that you have both enjoyed your stay.
It was lovely to meet you and to see the good rapport that you were having with the staff.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Ideally situated for the centre of Cardiff. We were attending a concert at St Davids Hall and that is a few minutes walk away; Millenium stadium likewise. It is a budget hotel; it could do with some updating and TLC. However, the staff are amazingly friendly; the place is clean; the food good and in good quantity. I would not hesitate to stop at the hotel again.

Word of caution.. if you have mobility problems there is a steep staircase to climb to actually get up to the hotel from the street and I don't think it has a lift. Parking is close by at a NCP that is a challenge to larger cars and also costs £18.20 for a 24 hour stay (as at October 2013)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you Patricia for your lovely review.
I am very pleased to read that we have met your needs.
We do have a concession with NCP Westgate Street costing £9 per 24 hours.
I am sorry that this message has not been passed on to you. I have sent you a reply via Tripadvisor for you to contact me to see if we can still get you a refund of the difference.
Once again thank you for your comments and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent location, friendly staff and fabulous value for money. For the price this hotel can't be beaten. Would stay here again next time I am in cardiff.....it makes other budget hotel chains look expensive!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
As I have said on an earlier review my main aim is to be value for money. I want to show people that family businesses can be much better than the budget chains but we need guests support to do this.
Your review will help immensely, thank you.
Hopefully we will welcome you again.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for one night in a twin room. Very spacious room, clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful, breakfast excellent and value for money is second to none. If ever I go to Cardiff again - this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed October 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review.
My biggest hope is that we above all else offer value for money.
For you to say we are second to none is fantastic and lovely to hear.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Mansfield Woodhouse
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Perfect city centre location, 5 minutes walk from car park on Quay Street and plenty of restaurants. Close to the castle and the lovely Bute Park, and so convenient for the hop-on hop- off city tour open top bus. Half an hour's walk to Cardiff Bay where there is so much to see, including fabulous historic and new buildings. There are boat trips into the bay or the option of a 5 mile circular walk around it, both taking in so much of the city's history.
The hotel can only be accessed by stairs and there are no lifts to rooms, but fine for those travelling light and with no mobility difficulties. We had a quiet room towards the back on the first floor,and were not disturbed by any street noise. Although our twin room was small there was storage space,clothes hanging, mirrors and plenty of lights and power points. Really liked the bathroom, spotlessly clean with a good shower,although I would have preferred a screen instead of the cling-on curtain!
Breakfast, available from 7.30 till 9.30am, consisted of cereals, yogurts,pastries,toast, fruit, porridge (plenty for me!) plus full English in all it's combinations ( too much for me!). One of our party had scrambled eggs and poached eggs the next day, and they looked perfect and were polished off in no time!
We would certainly return to this hotel- no frills and good value!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on booking( as suggested on a Trip Advisor review) and got one. Take light...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you very much for expressing your views on this website.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and your party and very nice to read your lovely comments.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again in the future.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

A very pleasant stay, room spacious and very clean, hearty breakfast, and very friendly and helpful staff
Location excellent for enjoying all that Cardiff has to offer
Would certainly revisit in the future , extremely well priced

• Stayed October 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and lovely review.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind comments to my staff.
Hopefully we will see you again in the near future.
Mold
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was a great hotel. Coveniently situated on the main street on Cardiff city centre, the welcome was warm and friendly at reception. The room I had was twin bedded, en suite and spotlessly clean and uncluttered. The full english breakfast was tasty and generous but there were lots of other options available too. The waiters were always on hand to attend to requests and were polite and smiling! Reception even went to the trouble of enquiring bus times and routes - very kind !

This hotel I will definitely stay at again, It was efficient and pleasant and terrific value. In my opinion, it deserves 5 star rating! Thank you all at the Sandringham - a very apt name as my friends and I I were treated like royalty !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for quietness, as at weekends Cardiff is a busy, noisy city.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lyncarolmold
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
What a wonderful review. Thank you.
It was really nice to meet you all.
Guests who arrive really looking forward to their stay do generally seem to have a nice time.
You mixed in beautifully with our friendly family atmosphere.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.