Sandringham Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$97
  • Breakfast included
US$101
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$90
Orbitz.com
US$141
US$119
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$57
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$102
Great 4.5/5
US$72
Agoda.com
Very Good 4/5
Travelodge Cardiff Atlantic Wharf(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$69
Travelodge
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$87
PremierInn.com
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsno liftcafe jazza family run hotelcity centremary streetslap bang in the middlecardiff castletrouser pressfirst floorfriendly hoteltrain stationexcellent locationtwin roomnight lifebit datedplenty of hot watercooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2013

A prime location but the decor needs updating! First impressions are important and a dated reception, shabby stair carpet and anaglypta wallpaper are not a good start. We stayed one night in room 308 - badly painted yellow walls, the wallpaper was lifting off the walls and ceiling, mould in the corner, paint on the window peeling and sticky surfaces, even the TV remote control was sticky! Yuk! It's the first time we've ever stayed in a hotel and slept fully clothed on top of the bedclothes. Not a great experience. Such a shame as the place has such potential!

• Stayed: November 2013
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your visit and review.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
I also regret that you did not feel comfortable enough to speak to us. We genuinely want guests to be happy and to believe that they have received value for money. We could have showed you other rooms until you were more satisfied.
Your title says that the hotel inspector is needed. We have had two this year and both grade us as a very good two star property. We could improve if we could afford one hundred thousand pounds on a refit but I doubt there is a business in the world that would not benefit from such investment.
If we did spend such money then we would be competing against the four star chain hotels and this would be very difficult.
We are 94% occupied so far this year so we are very popular.
However I realise that there is no excuse for any housekeeping or maintenance issues. I will get your points investigated and rectified.
I hope you will receive my response positively and with my best intentions.
Once again I send my apologies to you both.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed at the Sandringham on Oct 17 for one night. We were greeted enthusiastically and provided with helpful information, including a tourist map of the downtown area. We were on the 2nd floor (3 flights of stairs). While it is an older hotel, the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Breakfast was plentiful and service was quick. I've stayed previously at the Sandringham and selected it because of the location and the fact that it is locally owned / operated.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave555
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you both very much for your visit and review.
I am very pleased that you have chosen to stay with us again and that you have left satisfied.
It was lovely to see you.
Independent hotels/businesses do need support against the chains to keep cities unique.
I am very glad that you mention this and hopefully others will follow.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

For a couple of years my daughter and me visit UK once a year. This hotel has been the most pleasant regarding the location right in the centre of Cardiff and also the warm relations with the staff during our 5 days` stay. Everything else was okay, too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hartmut A
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
I am very pleased to read that you have both enjoyed your stay.
It was lovely to meet you and to see the good rapport that you were having with the staff.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Ideally situated for the centre of Cardiff. We were attending a concert at St Davids Hall and that is a few minutes walk away; Millenium stadium likewise. It is a budget hotel; it could do with some updating and TLC. However, the staff are amazingly friendly; the place is clean; the food good and in good quantity. I would not hesitate to stop at the hotel again.

Word of caution.. if you have mobility problems there is a steep staircase to climb to actually get up to the hotel from the street and I don't think it has a lift. Parking is close by at a NCP that is a challenge to larger cars and also costs £18.20 for a 24 hour stay (as at October 2013)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you Patricia for your lovely review.
I am very pleased to read that we have met your needs.
We do have a concession with NCP Westgate Street costing £9 per 24 hours.
I am sorry that this message has not been passed on to you. I have sent you a reply via Tripadvisor for you to contact me to see if we can still get you a refund of the difference.
Once again thank you for your comments and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent location, friendly staff and fabulous value for money. For the price this hotel can't be beaten. Would stay here again next time I am in cardiff.....it makes other budget hotel chains look expensive!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
As I have said on an earlier review my main aim is to be value for money. I want to show people that family businesses can be much better than the budget chains but we need guests support to do this.
Your review will help immensely, thank you.
Hopefully we will welcome you again.