“Carnoustie Old Ruggers Trip”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Carnoustie
“Carnoustie Old Ruggers Trip”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

On the positive side - Great Location, great staff, very friendly and helpful, great breakfast, great price, our rooms were clean and everything worked. The negatives - The stairs, possibly the lack of a residents bar but they have the jazz bar downstairs. Apart from that our group thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This is not a modern, boutique hotel but if you are looking for a central location at a good price then this is it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you Mr D for your lovely review.
Everyone of your party was a pleasure to deal with. We all thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.
It was a lovely atmosphere.
I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and hopefully as planned we will welcome you and your party once again next year.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Right the negatives. We were in room 308, which is up four flights of stairs, this would exclude anyone with mobility problems as there is no lift, the toilet seat was broken as was the shower and the toilet flush was loose. I think the whole hotel could benefit from a modern makeover. Now on to the positives, the room had everything you need, the bed was the most comfortable i have ever slept in and the bedding was spotless, the room was very clean. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice and served by staff who were all friendly and attentive. The location is second to none with all the major tourist places within easy walking distance. Despite extensive problems with a boiler breakdown, staff remained upbeat and friendly. Thank you for a lovely stay and i would happily return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you both for staying with us and for your lovely review.
We do as you say have no elevator but we have rooms on lower floors which can be requested.
We have repaired the toilet seat and flush but I apologise that this was not done before arrival.
The showers on the top floor are brand new and are pressure boosted. I will get this one checked as it should have been working.
I will pass on your kind words to everyone as they will love to hear them. As mentioned we did have a major leak from a burst boiler so I am glad we stilll remained positive and cheerful.
I hope we will welcome you again in the future and once more thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
north wales
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Bedroom tatty to say the least.Duvet well used and worn would have made a good dog basket liner.Bathroom was not clean.I know it,s a two star,I would like too know who gave it two stars.Good position .All reviews say the same ,why don,t you do something about

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank patchd
I am very sorry that we have not impressed you on this occasion.
We are graded by Visit Wales.
We do buy new duvets regularly so I am sorry that you did not feel yours was up to standard. We honestly do listen to comments and I act on them where I can.
I have replaced the duvet in the room and will be changing the carpet soon.
Although you say all reviews say the same the biggest rating on this website by far is very good with the second biggest being excellent.
I hope in the light of me taking action on your comments that you will consider staying again so that we can try and show the hotel in a better light.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The facilities are basic to say the least, bathroom not clean enough and the sort of place you don't want to walk around barefoot. Bed mattress not too uncomfortable but base of bed very tatty, very noisy from the street, secondary glazing not effective - club beneath stopped the music about 11- but that was ok. the problem was the noise from outside at 3am ish continued up the stairs passed my room. Not hotels fault I know! Last straw for me was when at 6:45 am someone used a key to open my bedroom door claiming "sorry wrong room".
Breakfast was nicely cooked and service was pleasant. Cannot fault the helpfulness of the staff. I didn't tell them about my room as there were new arrivals in reception as I was hastily leaving for a busy weekend when i know no other rooms were available in town.

Room Tip: Don't have one on the front of the building
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elkie764
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am so sorry that we have let you down on this occasion.
We are located in the city centre so a certain amount of noise is to be expected but I apologise if this was more noticeable on the night you stayed. Rooms as you say are quieter at the back and can be requested.
I am disappointed to read that the bathroom was not clean enough and I shall speak to my staff about this.
We always lift the bed bases for hoovering so maybe this is why the bottom has frayed. We change mattresses regularly so I am glad you found this comfortable. I will take a look at the base on your advice.
One of my housekeepers starts early in the morning to prepare laundry etc. If there is a room departed then she would service the room. We had two early morning tradesmen who left at 6.00 AM. The Night Porter put their key on the wrong hook (yours) so it made it seem that you had departed your room. She was the person who incorrectly entered. She assured me that she did apologise and explained what happened when she saw you. I hope this was the case.
This silly error should not have happened and I have spoken to the person concerned.
I hope you will consider staying again and if so I will ensure you a more comfortable stay.
If you wish to speak to me direct then please e-mail me on sandringhamsales@gmail.com or ring 029 20232161.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have stayed at the Sandringham hotel a number of time and always find the staff so friendly and helpful. They alway refer to you by name and make you feel like a valued customer.

OK, the rooms could do with a bit of touching up here and there, but it's nothing major. When I have booked a single room, I have always been allocated a double room. All rooms are en suite and are of a reasonable size. The location couldn't be much better, it's bang in the middle of St Mary Street and halfway between Cardiff central station and Cardiff Castle.

The breakfast is sufficient and has the usual choices. The two things that do let the Sandringham hotel down are 1. There is no lift, so maybe not suitable for people with mobility problems. 2. The internet signal can be a little poor in some parts of the hotel.

It is a city center hotel and can be a bit noisy at weekend if you are at the front of the hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am very glad that you find the hotel to be comfortable and the staff friendly and that we are your preferred hotel when staying in Cardiff.
As you say we do not have a lift and sadly due to size and certain constraints of being a listing building we are unable to get one.
I am aware that some rooms occasionally have an issue with the internet.
I am having this looked at. BT have also informed me that my area will have fibre optic in June 2014 so this will improve the whole service when complete.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review us.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Only thing good about it was breakfast, this is a very run down hotel. We managed to get the room on offer price including breakfast for £47.50 but it said the normal price was over £100 the room I guess is worth what we paid , how ever I don't think I'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us.
I am very sorry that you did not feel that the hotel was up to standard.
We are a good quality two star hotel.
I am glad that you feel the price was appropriate as this is the very least we strive for.
We are a one off family rum business that does not have the same large budgets that the brand hotels have.
However we do score above many of them so hopefully we are doing something right.
Hopefully you may consider staying again if the price is fair compared to other hotels on the same date.
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We are a couple who were looking for a central hotel in Cardiff and this hotel didn't disappoint. Everything is literally on your doorstep whether it be shops, bars or tourist attractions just a few minutes walk away.

The staff at this hotel are brilliant and make your stay even better! We arrived Friday afternoon and stayed till Sunday. The lady who was on the reception (long blond hair) throughout our stay was very friendly and had good local knowledge of where to visit etc. On the Saturday night we arrived back late and as the bar inside the hotel was shut, the man on the reception offered to bring us some drinks from the Jazz club downstairs so we could sit and have them in the public lounge. This I thought was very good service.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for location and value for money (after all it is the capital city)! We will be coming back!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you so much for your beautiful review.
It is really pleasing to read such nice comments. Alison (the receptionist and my wife) would like to pass on her thanks to you and said it was lovely to meet you both.
It was a lovely atmosphere in Cardiff on the weekend you stayed.
We are thoroughly grateful to you for taking the time to write your review.
Kind regards, Simon and Alison