“Excellent Stay Smack Bang In Town”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
barry
“Excellent Stay Smack Bang In Town”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel on Friday evening excellent smack bang in St Mary street. First thoughts were going to be noisy due to the location but nope we were at the back of the hotel and didn't here a thing. Reception staff very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were nice and clean and tidy and the beds were nice and comfy had a good night sleep.
If you do get peckish on your way home from a night out next door is McDonalds or 2 mins up the road is chippy lane and across the road is subway so a variety of places to have a late night munch would recommend staying here again...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I am really pleased to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
I am grateful to you for taking the time to let others know by writing these comments.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Builth Wells, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Sandringham Hotel on a Saturday night, was expecting it to be quite noisy as it is situated in St Mary Street a busy street in the capital, but was pleasantly surprised. I have just had an operation in hospital and asked for a first floor room as i cannot manage stairs very easily, the staff were very helpful and put us in Room 2 a first floor double room overlooking the the street. The room had an en-suite bathroom and toilet and tea and coffee making facilities as well as free WI-FI and a TV. The staff moved my wheel chair to a safe place overnight and carried it down the stairs for me in the morning. The hotel cooked a good full English breakfast in the morning and there was unlimited supply of tea/coffee and toast.We didn't take advantage of the discount in the downstairs Jazz Cafe but thought it was a nice extra. I guess the only downside was the absence of a lift but it wasn't a problem for us and the staff were very friendly and helpful would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a well run family hotel in the centre of Cardiff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It is very much appreciated.
It was an absolute pleasure for us to meet you and I am delighted to read that my colleagues looked after you.
Hopefully one day we will welcome you again.
South West
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel, in St Mary Street, is perfectly positioned for the train station, sites, activities, pubs and restaurants.

My room (304) was single with a single bed and although small, perfectly adequate. The separate bathroom (with shower) and toilet were spotlessly clean. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the carpet and net curtains which could both do with cleaning. The window frames, behind the secondary double glazing, were filthy and in need of a good clean. Sort out the minor cleaning problems and the room would be ideal. However, if my room was a microcosm of the rest of the hotel rooms then I would suggest general room refurbishment is required.

Breakfast was the highlight of the stay, a full English (or should that be a full Welsh) cooked to order which was delicious. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and because of the hotel location I would likely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
We are currently upgrading carpets in some rooms and I will pick up the other issues mentioned.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Trefeglwys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Yes, shabby, but soooo clean, and the staff are superb. Bed and sheets super crisp and clean, bathroom extremely clean and best of all, really quiet. Central Cardiff and only £35 per night mid week. Breakfast one of the best I've ever had and the service was second to none. Will definitely stay again, as will my colleague. FABULOUS!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you so so much for your review.
I am really pleased that we have made you both feel welcome.
I was away last week so I am glad the team have kept up the good work.
Thanks to you for taking the time to write your comments. It does help.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights, and it was a good budget option in the area. The staff is super friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect, but the actual facility is in need of major work. The beds were a bit uncomfortable (2 nights was my limit!), and the walls were peeling. It was also pretty noisy, but that is to be expected from an older building in a busy area. Just bring earplugs! We also had issues with hot water--ours was broken and they couldn't get a plumber in to fix it for us...but they made another guest room avail for us to shower in the morning, so it all worked out, and the staff did the best they could to make sure we were comfortable. Overall, worth the money we spent, nice for a short visit to Cardiff!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I do apologise about the lack of water coming out of the hot tap. The tap has now been replaced.
I am glad that you were happy with our actions. We honestly do try.
Hopefully we will welcome you again.
Carnoustie
Reviewed 19 March 2014

On the positive side - Great Location, great staff, very friendly and helpful, great breakfast, great price, our rooms were clean and everything worked. The negatives - The stairs, possibly the lack of a residents bar but they have the jazz bar downstairs. Apart from that our group thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This is not a modern, boutique hotel but if you are looking for a central location at a good price then this is it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you Mr D for your lovely review.
Everyone of your party was a pleasure to deal with. We all thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.
It was a lovely atmosphere.
I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and hopefully as planned we will welcome you and your party once again next year.
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Right the negatives. We were in room 308, which is up four flights of stairs, this would exclude anyone with mobility problems as there is no lift, the toilet seat was broken as was the shower and the toilet flush was loose. I think the whole hotel could benefit from a modern makeover. Now on to the positives, the room had everything you need, the bed was the most comfortable i have ever slept in and the bedding was spotless, the room was very clean. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice and served by staff who were all friendly and attentive. The location is second to none with all the major tourist places within easy walking distance. Despite extensive problems with a boiler breakdown, staff remained upbeat and friendly. Thank you for a lovely stay and i would happily return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you both for staying with us and for your lovely review.
We do as you say have no elevator but we have rooms on lower floors which can be requested.
We have repaired the toilet seat and flush but I apologise that this was not done before arrival.
The showers on the top floor are brand new and are pressure boosted. I will get this one checked as it should have been working.
I will pass on your kind words to everyone as they will love to hear them. As mentioned we did have a major leak from a burst boiler so I am glad we stilll remained positive and cheerful.
I hope we will welcome you again in the future and once more thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.