“Great weekend”

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Great weekend”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our stay was a gift from my parents and will probably be our main holiday this year as we have an 11 & a half month old son. We stayed 2 nights and the staff were amazing. We had a family room which they provided a travel cot in, although we didn't use it as our little boy slept in with us. They did a full English breakfast which wasn't massive but was just right for me and was included in the price. There was an option for a bigger breakfast at £2 extra. They had a high chair which we used but the straps were broken. The breakfast waitresses were really friendly and catered for our little boy really well. There were a lot of stairs to get to our room but the reception staff allowed us to leave the pushchair with them to save us having to carry it up each time. The hotel is quite old but the room was clean and they provided plenty of tea/coffee/milk/biscuits for us. Overall we thought the hotel was a bit tired but the staff were so great we didn't care, they made us feel welcome and comfortable. The location couldn't have been better with the St David's centre, shops, Millennium stadium and castle all very close.

• Stayed May 2014
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you so much for your smashing review.
I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and mini-holiday.
I have passed your comments to all the staff concerned and we are all very grateful to you for them.
It was lovely meeting you and hopefully we will see you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a perfect location - walking distance from all major sights. The staff at the reception are very helpful and the room had everything you might need for a city break. The only issue I had (and it's not the stairs) was the breakfast: the food itself was ok, but it took a long time before I actually ate, there was no one at the entrance, when I found two people standing by the kitchen they ignored me and then there was this old woman running around and shouting, trying to find out who left the toast in the toaster - not the best morning experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review and for choosing to stay with us.
I am so sorry about the breakfast service. This is an area that we are normally well reviewed on.
I will have a word with the waiting staff to ensure this does not happen.
I hope that we will welcome you again in the future.
Saint Louis
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I can't say enough nice things about the staff and terrific breakfast at the Sandringham. It is also centrally located to all the sights in Cardiff and you can walk to the castle and museums. The room itself was dated and a bit shabby. The bed and pillows were not so comfy. However, this is a budget type hotel. It was a bit loud the first night due to the location; it is in the center of downtown. Overall we enjoyed our stay and appreciate the helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very glad that you have enjoyed staying with us and I hope your visit to Cardiff was everything you wanted it to be.
I will pass on your lovely words to everyone concerned.
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my two friends came here for my birthday. Triple room with breakfast £100! The location is outstanding you couldn't get better especially for the price. The staff were friendly enough, breakfast took a long time to arrive! The room was dated and smelt damp. We opened the windows and sprayed a lot of perfume. No hot water for a shower not very good and the toilet seat was wonky so had to be steady when you sat down. Overall it's cheap and basic and for a place to sleep was fine but you get what you pay for. If I had paid more I may not have been so impressed...

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tap88
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for your visit and your review.
I am sorry that I did not find out that you were celebrating your birthday. I would have organised a bottle of wine or some drinks for you. I hope you had a great day.
I am very pleased to read that you found us good value for money.
I am sorry about the maintenance problems and these have now been resolved. I genuinely have not found a problem with the hot water though apart from the fact that it takes about two minutes of running the taps to become hot. Please contact us should this problem arise again.
Hopefully we will welcome you in the future.
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The standout feature of this hotel was the excellent service, beginning with the young woman who saw me struggling with my case and helped me carry it up the stairs, to the lovely and helpful young woman on reception, to the friendly people who served breakfast. My room was a little shabby but it was clean, the bed comfortable, and sufficiently heated. The bathroom was large and contained a bath, which I was very grateful for. The location is fantastic, a short walk to Cardiff Castle or Millennium Stadium. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and many shops too. The bus and train terminals are also a very short walk away.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review.
It was a real pleasure for us to meet you. I am very glad that you have enjoyed the service which as you say is our best feature. It really matters to all of us that guests enjoy their stay.
We do not have the massive advertising budgets that the chain hotels enjoy so I am very grateful to you for taking the time to write this review as it should help immensely.
Hopefully we will get to welcome you again in the future.
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel during the bank holiday. When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist and made to feel very welcome. The receptionist explained everything to me and also offered me to upgrade to breakfast as I had opted out of it. She also explained to me what was happening in the hotel that evening (entertainment etc) The Room was lovely to me it was like a home away from home - had all the basics you could want (well for me it did anyway) the room was clean and tidy and was a great place for me to rest my head at the end of the night. This hotel is central to Cardiff and I would stay here again, I would also recommend this hotel to family and friends as the rooms are priced superbly and the staff are friendly. Big thumbs up to the Sandringham Hotel :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you so much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay and it was lovely to meet you.
Anne-Marie (receptionist) has asked me to pass her thanks on to you for your kind words.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Stay at this hotel very good location . Rooms were average. Toilet seat was wobbly but the staff were excellent with excellent service. Only down fall was the noise from the disco we had a room around the back but it still kept us awake As it went on till 2 am breakfast was excellent

• Stayed April 2014
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review and for visiting us recently.
It was a pleasure to meet you and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
I will get the maintenance issues sorted. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.