“Hard beds & Lots of Stairs”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Hard beds & Lots of Stairs”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a budget hotel right in the centre of the city - so easy to get to all the attractions & shopping. However, it is very dated now and is really in a need for an update - peeling wallpaper which looked dirty; carpets didn't look clean either; although the housekeeping staff do clean them. Be prepared to climb the stairs which remind me of Everest. you climb before you get to the reception desk which is one the 1st floor. Wi-fi is good, as was the breakfast. The bed was as hard as a wooden floor as was the pillows so not a good nights sleep.
Overall 1 night was 'OK' but anymore and I would have been a wreck

Room Tip: A lower floor room unless you like climbing a lot of steep stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Antony S
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you Antony for your review and for choosing to stay with us.
I am very disappointed that you have not really enjoyed your stay.
There are spare pillows in the room and we can supply more if requested. We do as you say have no elevator and this is mentioned on all websites. We put you in a higher room floor as this was requested on your booking.
We do regularly update as finances permit to continue as a very good two star property and I will be acting on your comments.
I am glad that you felt that our location was good and that we are value for money.
I do hope you will consider staying with us again where I can allocate you a lower floor room.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

First of all the day staff were lovely, very nice and helpful. But I paid to check in at 2 and when I got there my room wasnt ready, when I finally got a room the television wasnt working properly which they were aware of but still didnt come to fix. I also needed to open a window as it was a lovely hot day yet they only open so far and when they are open the buldings outside make a constant groaning noise 24/7 which wouldnt have been a problem if the fan provided acctually blew some air. I paid £40 for the room which I thought was acceptable, I would not pay any more though. The bed was very comfy though, good night sleep.

Room Tip: Any problems speak to the day staff, the staff at night can't do much.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us.
I am very sorry that the room was not ready when you arrived. This is very rare for us but we had a large group check out quite late.
I also apologise for the tv. We thought we had fixed it but the problem must have been intermittent as it has stopped again since. I have now replaced it altogether.
I hope you will consider staying with us in the future as we have acted on your comments.
Thank you for bringing these points to my attention
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at the Sandringham Hotel in Cardiff. On the good side,the welcome was very friendly and efficient as were all the staff. It is in an excellent location in the city centre, 2 minutes walk from the main rail station (Cardiff Central) and the main bus terminal, Our room was quite large and very clean with room for a comfortable big double bed and a single bed, a writing desk, good size wardrobe, remote control tv, lots of tea/coffee and milk/sugar and a clean and spacious bathroom with a good shower that actually works without a load of fiddly taps and knobs one finds in fancy hotels. A very hearty full english breakfast plus,a choice of fruit juices and cereals and all the tea and coffee and toast you need. And despite it being in the city centre it was quiet for noise-free, peaceful night's sleep. The only difficulty some people might encounter is that we counted 42 steps on several steep staircases from the main entrance to our room.. The price is quite a bargain, we paid £44 per room per night, an absolute bargain considering it's location and facilities. We would definitely stay at the Sandringham again when we next visit Cardiff.

Room Tip: We were in room 108 which was the 42 staircase steps away from the entrance and our room was directl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very grateful to you.
I am really pleased you have enjoyed your stay.
The midweek rate mentioned is one of our many special offers but please remember to book on our own website as this is the cheapest way.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had a one night stay here on business, and was very impressed with this hotel. Great welcome when I arrived, and I had everything explained as was necessary. Room was spotlessly clean, and no mould or splashes on the walls or in the bathroom. bed was very comfy, pillows just right.Good TV and plenty of tea and coffee with a note to ask for more if you ran out.
Just bear in mind you will get city noise if you stay on a weekend, as you are in the heart of Cardiff. But for me, plenty of choice for my evening meal. Good security at reception also
Breakfast was very good, freshly cooked and good choice. And friendly service(as with all the staff).
For the price, I thought I got good value and would have no hesitation in staying here again. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your views on this website. It is very much appreciated.
We honestly do our best and we feel rewarded when guests state that they have got value for money.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The location of this hotel is EXCELLENT, at the center of the city surrounded by shops, restaurants, and bars. One could easily walk to the Train Station and Bus Station.

Helpful Staff and delicious breakfast: Shawn answered all my questions about tourist attractions in Cardiff. My full English breakfast was delicious and the waitress was always smiling and helpful

NOT LIKE: I was given a room on the third floor even though I asked for the lower floor as I have problems climbing narrow, winding stairs. There are no elevators at this old hotel.

My bed was lumpy and I had a hard time sleeping due to this. For the 2 nights, I stayed there, I was awakened by loud voices talking outside my room as well as by loud singing coming from the bar located downstairs.

I paid almost US $200 for 2 nights. Next time I visit Cardiff, I would stay in a much nicer and quieter hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us.
I am glad that you have enjoyed certain aspects of the hotel.
However I am very sorry that there are some points of concern.
We always try our best to fulfill requests so I am sorry that we have missed yours regarding a lower floor room.
I will get the beds checked in the room you stayed as we do replace on guests advice.
We do have rooms at the back of the hotel that are quieter than the front but sadly all the city centre hotels experience a certain amount of noise.
I do hope you will reconsider and think of staying with us again if you return to Cardiff as I will act on your experience.
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here on a night when Cardiff was full to the brim with rugby fans. We counted ourselves lucky to find this place. The entrance is on St Mary Street so could not be better located for shops, rugby, bars,restaurants etc after climbing the stairs to the first floor reception it's like stepping back in time 25 years. BUT the receptionist was very friendly and helpful regarding parking (they have a deal with the NCP car park close by and we swapped our parking ticket for one of theirs and got a 50% discount on the overnight parking paying just over £8 rather than over £18). We stayed in room 105 which was around the side and 2nd floor it was a twin (the only room they had left) but apart from being very dated, the beds were comfortable, the bed linen was clean and crisp and there were tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary water and biscuits . The bathroom (again, very dated) had hot water and was perfectly adequate for the price paid. It was also surprisingly quiet and we both had a good nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was served to us with a fair choice of hot food as well as continental, and the breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful. So...it's not posh, in fact it's very very basic but it was warm, clean, friendly, great location and the staff are welcoming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you very much for your comments.
I am glad to read that you feel we are excellent value for money.
I hope you enjoyed yourselves in Cardiff on the weekend you visited.
Cardiff was fortunate enough to host the Heineken Cup and we had many guests from different countries creating a wonderful atmosphere.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our stay was a gift from my parents and will probably be our main holiday this year as we have an 11 & a half month old son. We stayed 2 nights and the staff were amazing. We had a family room which they provided a travel cot in, although we didn't use it as our little boy slept in with us. They did a full English breakfast which wasn't massive but was just right for me and was included in the price. There was an option for a bigger breakfast at £2 extra. They had a high chair which we used but the straps were broken. The breakfast waitresses were really friendly and catered for our little boy really well. There were a lot of stairs to get to our room but the reception staff allowed us to leave the pushchair with them to save us having to carry it up each time. The hotel is quite old but the room was clean and they provided plenty of tea/coffee/milk/biscuits for us. Overall we thought the hotel was a bit tired but the staff were so great we didn't care, they made us feel welcome and comfortable. The location couldn't have been better with the St David's centre, shops, Millennium stadium and castle all very close.

• Stayed May 2014
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you so much for your smashing review.
I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and mini-holiday.
I have passed your comments to all the staff concerned and we are all very grateful to you for them.
It was lovely meeting you and hopefully we will see you again in the future.