“I'll be back”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights and was so glad I did. Yes, it's an old building and does show its age in places, but it's clean and comfortable with all you would expect of an inner city hotel. The room was pleasant although it had not been recently decorated, and the one problem was quickly and cheerfully dealt with. The bathroom was big and warm and the towels spotlessly white.
The breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked, not left standing on a hotplate as in many more modern hotels. The only drawback was the coffee! They use a tea drinkers coffee (I'd better not mention the brand) which was rather awful. Please, please change your brand for a better one.
The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. They were full of information, polite and friendly.
If you need lifts then go elsewhere as here you have stairs, and rather a lot of them as reception is one floor up. However, I did not have to carry my own case up them thanks to the staff at reception.
The location is brilliant. A five minutes walk from the station, near the bus stop to Cardiff Bay, and right in the middle of the shopping district.
If you like modern boxes where every single room is the same as the rooms in any other similar hotel in any other town, then go elsewhere, but if you like a bit of character and don't mind a building showing its age, the try the Sandringham

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 November 2009

Stayed in this hotel on a business trip to Cardiff in Mid-October 2009. The hotel is very centrally located near bus and train stations just around the corner from shopping and restaurant areas.
It's typical British with lots of stairs and corridors before getting to the room. Room itself was ok. Clean and definitely much bigger than in similar hotels in London.
Hotel has free wireless internet, also to be used if needed separately in the restaurant downstairs. Hotel visitors get free entrance to the restaurant concerts. In the second night they had a nice jazz band playing.
Breakfast was sufficient and staff very nice. Deal was good. For altogether 80 pounds for a single room for two nights. With that deal I would stay in this hotel again. The location is very handy.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkusMalahide
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We went to Cardiff for just one night & booked The Sandringham online which was VERY easy to do and a FANTASTIC price. Right in the centre of Cardiff its great to just step out onto the street and go hereever you want! Staff were very friendly on reception, and directed us to our room, all carpets needed renewing on the stairs but were clean. Our room was up a further 2 steep set of stairs (but ehy it as built like it so can not complain bout that) they had decent handrails cos the stairs are steep, no nasty 'cheap B&B smell' very pleasent. Our room was a double room which was very clean, again carpets really needed renewing, furniture dated, but clean! Xcellent flat screen TV on the wall ith many channels! Bathroom again dated but clean, very impressed with that, towels thick & fluffy. Bed had fresh clean duvet cover, pillows very flat felt like we were sleeping on slices of bread, but clean all the same, as someone else reviewed the green draylon headboard was stained & a tad off putting but no nasty smell in the room at all. Bed very uncomfortable, me and my husband kept meeting in the middle!! Very hard to lie on due to springs. Each time e passed reception, staff said hello, which was nice! Very helpful with car park facilities too. At breakfast this morning the breakfast room was dated BUT very VERY clean! We ere served by a very pleasent lady, ho just got more & more helpful, the breakfast as served very fast & was veryVERY nice. All in all a great stay just pit about the bed, the decor is just 'one of them things' but PLEASE replace the beds!! We WOULd stop here again, thanks Wendy & John from Great Barr, Birmingham. x

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed here to watch U2 and had to book for 2 nights. On the plus side the staff were attentive, helpful, and the breakfast service was good. But the decor was so bad it looked grubby although the room had been well cleaned. The headboard was a pale green dralon type materail and was badly stained. The ceiling looked painted but the rest doesn''t seem to have seen a paint brsuh for some time, the lino tiles in the bathroom were rust stained. it reminded me of cheap B&B's I styaed in in the early 80's. We paid £120 per night plus breakfast about the sme as the standard rate in the Hilton, Can't blame them for cashing in when cardiff was full but please buy a pot of paint with the extra cash. I wouldn't stay here again unles it was refurbished.

1  Thank BristolToney
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2009

Firstly I would like to thank the reviewer about the nice comments made regarding our staff and breakfast.
I can assure the reviewer our price was checked and was extremely favourable when compared with our competitors over this period. The room mentioned will be undergoing a refurbishment in October. I agree the headboard does look poor and the bathroom floor and around the door does have staining and we will be changing the floor type to ceramic tiles. However I did have a guest last night asking if he could stay in this room again next week so I suppose we all have different opinions. I hope the reviewer will consider staying again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We arrived on the day of the U2 concert after a long drive (and having paid £280 upfront) expecting a decent hotel per the website - how wrong we were!!

On arrival we found the lobby to be very shabby with thread bear carpet and the smell of "shake and vac". We obtained our key and made our way (with much trepidation) to the room - our worst fears were confirmed. The carpet in the room was very worn, the paintwork didn't look like it had ever been touched, and this is before we got to the bathroom.....

I really do not know where to begin with this, shall we start with the black and mouldy bathroom tiles, the brown stained ceiling tiles or the black mould under the toilet or perhaps the torn wall paper or even the pigeons cra**ping outside the windowm - I could go on but I think you get the idea.

This hotel is not a hotel in anyway it's more like a cheap B&B (and that's being generous) the breakfast is crap and I would advise anyone thinking of staying here to think again and find somewhere decent - PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

2  Thank heatherfox20

I don't think there is much point me saying anything about this review. Clearly the reviewer did not like the hotel at all. I think it is very harsh, unfair and untrue but I respect their right to comment on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 23 August 2009

Just returned from a two night stay which cost us nearly three hundred pounds .We came up to see U2 concert .It is a perfect location for concerts /shopping as everything is on the door step .This does however mean night times are very noisey .
I think the hotel is very overpriced only being a 2 star and def needs some TLC but the the staff , especially on reception , were lovely and very helpful .
Don`t be fooled by i quote ...the generous cooked breakfast .Generous it isn`t ,Tiny plate with a QUARTER of a slice of fried bread haha !!!
We had a good weekend though .

1  Thank dolphinhart2

Thanks to the reviewer for praising the service of our staff.
I can promise that the room price was favourable when compared against our competitors for this period.
I am surprised about the critisism regarding breakfast. The cooked breakfast includes everything you would expect. On the menu is also the choice to have a bigger breakfast so guests are welcome to more if they wish. Add on cereals, toast, croissants, pastries, yoghurt etc and hopefully you will have had a substantial breakfast. I do hope the reviewer will consider returning in the future and if so we will ensure a heartier breakfast awaits.

Reviewed 18 August 2009

Great location but lots and lots of steps, including from the street up to reception. If an extra staff member is around, they will help with luggage. Breakfast was good and the staff, both in reception and those serving breakfast, were kind and helpful, and the price was certainly fair. The only problem with my room was a shower that had an annoying drip every 5 minutes or so, even after tightening the handle. It was one of those flexible shower heads that can sit in up in a bracket or be held in the hand. After one night of drips, I realized that I could eliminate the sound by removing the shower head from the bracket and laying it on the shower floor near the drain – Duhhh!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo