“Great Location!”

Ranked #24 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Houston, Texas
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

For a short stay at a small BUDGET hotel, I give this one 4 stars!
PROS: Low cost, super location, friendly day receptionists, attached bathroom, free WiFi, good breakfast (included), live jazz club downstairs...
CONS: Many steep steps (no lift), no A/C (be wary of summer booking), old shabby room (but comfortable and adequate), no second security lock to use when inside room... male night desk clerk not good with dining-out tips...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelerSue
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
I would like to thank this guest for her kind words and hope to welcome her back soon.
However I would like, as I always do, to answer the problems listed to give both points of view.
We do have 4 flights of stairs so please be aware of this before booking. Our staff are on hand to assist with luggage if requested.
We do not have any air conditioning but do provide a fan in all rooms to help on warm days. Our rooms are graded above average for a 2 star property. Hopefully our price will compare favourably with 3, 4 and 5 star hotels.
The fire officer has advised against any extra locks for safety reasons. It was decided that our locks are of very high quality and are more than adequate. We use keys and not the less safe card system. We also have 24 hour monitored cctv in all public areas.
I am sorry that the night porter was not very helpful with late night dining tips. I will address this problem as a matter of urgency.
Again I thank this reviewer for her constructive criticism. We will and constantly try to improve. I realise that we will improve quicker when listening to our guests and acting on their suggestions where possible..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

We selected this hotel mainly for its location and were not disappointed on that point, price was also a factor but would happily pay more to enable them to redecorate the place and buy new bedding and furniture.
We walked into the lobby and my heart sunk, what a dive but were then meet by a lovely receptionist , not so bad maybe, how wrong was I, I had a twin room with grimy yellow walls bright orange valance on the bed with a brown duvet cover yuk, the wardrobes had no doors on them , I sat down for 5 minutes decided I would not stay and drove for 3 hours back home that night , it was that bad.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank weekender73
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2010
I am very sorry the guest felt dissapointed with the hotel. As I have said before we are a one off family business doing our very best. We are graded as a very good 2 star hotel. We do have brand new chocolate coloured duvets which have been well received. Our wardrobes are open plan and do not have doors. The walls are painted a light cream colour. All of the these points raised do not seem something to complain about. I think the guest has decided this hotel was not for them which is fair enough.
The guest did not complain at the time. My staff would have tried to find altervative accommodation if requested. It is our intention that all guests firstly enjoy their experience at The Sandringham and then secondly enjoy their time in Cardiff. We are not a chain hotel but we are improving all the time when finances permit. We offer outstanding customer service. We appreciate all of our customers and I hope you will reject this review and give us a try.
Thank you.
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

After reading the reviews on this hotel i was a little worried about what i would find, however i was pleasantly surprised.

It is very central , five minutes from train station and shopping. I arrived 3 hours before check in so I could leave my bag off and they had my room ready and were very friendly.

The room itself (a double) was a decent size and the bathroom with bath very spacious. Had haridryer and tea coffee maker etc.

The hotel offers free wifi in rooms which is excellent and very fast.

The breakfast consisted of cereal, yogurt, croissants and a cooked breakfast of your selection and it was all very tastly and the waiting staff very friendly.

I was having some medical problems while there and hte reception staff were very helpdul in directing me to local chemist.

I paid £85 for two nights bed and breakfast and I was delighted. Stafff courteous, hotel clean and central. All in all a pleasant stay!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank rjh090384
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

We stayed at the Sandringham overnight because of a concert nearby. Location is central, and the staff very helpful. The rooms can be a bit musty but otherwise okay. Breakfast was good with buffet and a choice among full english breakfast, boiled eggs and fish. Not too bad for the price paid and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

Myself and my husband booked the Sandringham online before our trip and were a little worried about what the hotel would be like since we'd never seen or heard of this hotel before. But as soon as we arrived we were instantly pleased and relieved. The staff are all very friendly, helpful, welcoming and accomadating. the hotel is in a great location right in the heart of Cardiffs shopping, The International Arena, millenium stadium and train/bus stations etc.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and they dldn't have lifts so we had to walk up 3 flights: Therefore I wouldn't recommened the hotel to any1 who's disabled or oaps.
Our room was a little cold but there was an electric heater in the room and as soon as we put that on it warmed up very quickly. The bathroom was large, clean and had pure white spotless towells. the bed was large, clean and very comfortable with 'sink ya head in' pillows and a huge warm duvet. we slept like babies and didn't bother us that we could here other guests! thats what u should expect at a hotel anyway! the Service at breakfast was impecable, and the food delicious with a wide range of choie on what to eat. I can't find substantial fault or reason to not stay at the Sandringham. Only the flights of stairs and maybe the dated wallpaper would be my only complaint if Ihad to make one

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

I think balance is the key to reviewing this hotel. If you want to spend more money then ther are some great hotels in Cardiff which are of a far higher standard than the Sandringham. However, the usual reason I would suspect people book here is down to cost. And you get what you pay for.

The location of the hotel is perfect for access to the bars, the stadium, the shops and the castle. St Mary St is now closed to public traffic but still able to be used by buses and taxis and delivery or works vehicles so there is still traffic noise. Also you are going to have to expect to hear the shouts and screams of late night revellers passing by outside.

The hotel is definately not suitable for less able travellers as there are a lot of narrow, winding stairs.

There's parking available at a discounted rate (£7 per night) nearby but you have to arrive before 6.30pm to get in and you cant get out until after 8am!

The staff were efficient and polite but not particularly warm or welcoming on arrival.

The general decor is faded and a bit shabby but generally clean in a Fawlty Towers kind of style. The room was small but adequate but lacked sealed double glazing to help with the noise. The bathroom was clean and, well...adequate (a recurring word to describe the hotel really). We were there on a social night out and, as such, the hotel was a place to lay our heads so it was fine but I would not want to take my wife there for a romantic city getaway. The beds were comfortable enough but the bedding was a bit substandard and could be improved with a nice duvet and decent sheets.

Breakfast was included in the cost of the room and the choice and quality was...you guessed it...adequate. All, again served in a faded glory venue.

In summary, if you're on a night out in Cardiff where you will only be using a hotel to sleep then this offers pretty good value for money. It could be a nice little boutique hotel with some vision and money spent but it isn't right now.

You get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2010
I would like to respond to some of the points raised.
1/. We are a good 2 star hotel so I have no problem admitting that Cardiff also has some great 4 star hotels. The cost is reflected in this.
2/. We do have double glazing. We can also accommodate guests at the back of the hotel if requested, which is much quieter.
3/. Car parking is available at a secure car park with restricted access times. However you can still park at other nearby car parks that are open 24 hours a day if you wish.
4/. I am sorry that the guest did not feel that we gave a warm welcome at the beginning. This is a rare complaint.
5/. Our bedding is hired and laundered by the same company that supplies two 4 star chain hotels in Cardiff .
6/.Due to the size of this hotel I do not believe that changing it to a boutique hotel would work. I would rather remain as we are graded, a high quality 2 star property offering outstanding value for money.
As I have said previously our rooms are occupied for 92% of the year and have been for the last five years. More people are unsuccessful in attempting to book my hotel on a leading booking agents website than any other hotel in Cardiff.
This is why I keep replying to reviews. It is so fustrating. We welcome so many happy guests (approximately 10,000 in 2010), many who buy gifts for the staff but then we get badly reviewd by less than 1% of customers on this website.
We all work extremely hard at the Sandringham for guests to enjoy their stay. Of course we would like to invest more and more money but we are a one off family business and can only do so when finances permit. We have already been upgraded from good to a very good two star property in the last twelve months.
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

Scruffy night porter, dirty carpets, tatty & seedy hotel with drunks outside. Would have left immediately if hadn't pre-paid

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JSH18
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
This is the first complaint that I have had about one of my staff so I am suprised that the reviewer has called one of my night porters scruffy. I will however, investigate the comment. Any licensed premises including big chain hotels can have people outside from wedding parties etc, so it is a bit unfair to call us a seedy hotel with drunks ouside.
I realise that this is another poor review for us on tripadvisor. I believe that people are reading other reviews on this site and then a small minority are writing that they are not happy. We are rated 8 out of 10 from over 1300 reviews. I say this so people can see that it is not just my view that we are a hard working family, running a decent hotel but that of many more. We also have comment cards in rooms to encourage guests to communicate their observations with us.