“Excellent small hotel.”

Lincoln House Private Hotel
Ranked #1 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My partner and I regularly stop in hotels but usually we go for the larger hotel group sort of place. We booked the Lincoln because it was conveniently close to a relative we were visiting and I will admit to some concern about a smaller place. Memories of childhood hotels with a fearsome landlady dishing out greasy food on cracked plates and a more recent experience in a similar hotel had coloured my view somewhat.
I needn't have worried, the Lincoln exceeded my expectations by a vast margin.
The Hotel is small and friendly without being overbearing and has a good sized car park. The interior has a Victorian feel with comfortable drawing rooms where you can while away a happy hour reading with only the tick of the clock for company. There is a nice little bar/lounge area as well.
The room was comfortable and compact (in ours the door hit the bed) but there was more than enough room and a nice flat screen TV.
The en-suite was again compact but the water was hot and the shower worked just fine so what more could you want?
The dining room was again comfortable and the breakfast was outstanding with a good flexible menu. Fresh fruit followed by a full Welsh breakfast with thick bacon and plump sausages. Not only was the breakfast good but my coffee cup was filled as soon as it emptied. The hotel does not do dinner, however they will arrange for a local restaurant and it says in the brochure that they will allow you to use the dining room for take away food, although we didn't do this.
The only small thing to be aware of (and it is a small thing) is that the Lincoln is a good walk from the town centre so, unless you are a strong walker, you may want to invest in a cab.
The prices are reasonable. That said the Lincoln is not a budget B&B and it would not be suitable for back packers looking for a cheap flop for the night.
Overall the Lincoln is an elegant and relaxing alternative to the bigger hotels and has a delightful traditional atmosphere and service that I am happy to recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 May 2010

A really lovely hotel a short walk from the centre of Cardiff. The room was really comfortable and nicely decorated, with a large lounge downstairs and bar area. The breakfast was lovely, with fresh fruit salad, strawberries, yoghurts and a range of cereals, as well as lots of cooked options (I recommend the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, though make sure you're hungry first). Nice staff and great place to stay. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 25 May 2010

My husband, mother and I stayed at the hotel earlier this month. I echo what others have said - very clean and well maintained, handy free parking, great breakfast, nice lounge for residents. We had relatives come and visit from a few hours away and the hotel was pleased to have them join us for breakfast one day. The only problem was there was no elevator so we did have to carry our luggage up to the top floor. The desk personnel gave us good recommendations for dining. I would return. The only complaint was the internet service was very slow, and the computer in the lounge, while appreciated, was very slow - they should upgrade to a new computer!

Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have borrowed the title of this review from an entry in the hotel guest book and couldn't agree more. The trip was a weekend break for my sister, my elderly mum and myself. Found this hotel on trip advisor and was not disappointed. Luxurious rooms, comfy beds, everywhere spotlessly clean and in excellent order. Not a faded carpet in sight! The staff were friendly and helpful both before and during our stay. We wanted an individual hotel at a reasonable price and the 15 min walking distance from the city was a reasonable trade-off to achieve this. The walk is through the beautiful Bute Park so was an enjoyable in itself. A taxi back from town cost varing amounts between £4.50 and £7.50. We also took the waterbus to Cardiff Bay from a stop in the park, which we all enjoyed. The breakfast was excellent quality and quantity and the small hotel bar was fun. Just a word of warning about the wifi - don't rely on it for business. It was very very slow (not a problem for us but may be if you need to work). There is a computer in the resident's lounge but it is the one that Noah took on the arc and is worse than useless. All in all a superb hotel to which I would definitely return.

Reviewed 6 May 2010

Friendly,relaxed hotel very close to the castle by way of walking through the lovely park along the River Taff!
Beautifully decorated throughout with large airy breakfast room and very comfortable lounge
Bedrooms were spacious and very clean with en-suite
Good restaurants in the locality within walking distance
We were attending a wedding and the staff were extremely helpful in ordering taxis and button-holes for us
The hotel was very warm and comfortable and secure and we would definately stay there again
A big thank you to all the staff

Reviewed 6 April 2010

I can only reiterate what previous posters have said. Quiet, clean, friendly, secure parking, good breakfast. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I chose this hotel on the basis of TripAdvisor comments - even with one or two negative reviews this still looked the best overall for value - and the hotel website mentioned a veggie breakfast and free wifi access so that eventually swung the vote! (As it turned out I was too tired by the time I arrived to go online!)
I arrived on Tuesday, 16th March for one night's stay - after advising the hotel that I'd be late (the friendly woman on the phone said 'not a problem, I'll tell the night porter to expect you'.) When I finally arrived I was grateful to receive a very pleasant and friendly welcome. The hotel is in a quiet area with plenty of parking on the lot behind the house. My room on the 1st floor was decorated to a very high standard, was very clean and very comfortable, as it included 2 chairs, a reading lamp, a desk and a chest of drawers. There was Dove hand soap and shower /hair cream provided, a hairdryer, and tea, coffee & biscuits. Good size flat screen television. I had a deep and peaceful sleep - I'm often woken up by the normal noises of early risers but I heard nothing until I went to breakfast the next morning. And what a breakfast - I've seen 5 star hotels that aren't as well stocked! There was anything anyone could want from fresh fruit salad, variety of cereals, yogurt, to a cooked breakfast menu which full Welsh breakfast, veggie breakfast and various other delightful choices and combinations (I passed on the laverbread!)
I am originally from a highly service-oriented culture (Canada) and lecture here on service marketing and quality, so I have what I think are reasonable expectations of good service and clean surroundings, but am often disappointed on both counts when staying in rooms towards the lower end of the price range. But with the combination of high quality accommodation, friendly, cheerful service, and a very reasonable price, Lincoln House represents excellent value and is 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business