Due to an error in our travel plans (always use caution when using points) we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I have to admit that I was rather happy with the change, though my spouse was less than thrilled. In the end, we had a great time and the hotel worked perfectly fine for us.
The hotel was extremely clean, the staff was fantastic and for us we found the hotels location to be very quiet and relaxing.
The location is interesting in that it is exactly between city centre and Cardiff Bay, it is a healthy walk or a brief taxi ride to either. We enjoy walking as much as possible, so we almost always chose the walk, but there were a few misty nights where it was just a bit too chilly for us to make the walk. But in Cardiff taxi's tend to be pretty cheap by comparison to other locations I've visited.
Cardiff is a great vibrant city and this is a more reasonable location than some of the downtown spots. It was exactly what I expected from a Holiday Inn Express in the US, with the notable addition of bangers, beans and an abundance of toast on the morning breakfast. Not my personal favorite and I somewhat missed the "make your own waffle" that I've come to know and love in the US, but I'm certain my waste-line wasn't missing the carbs.
I would recommend the hotel for any traveler looking to save a few bucks and who doesn't mind a bit of a walk. But do keep in mind that in this location you can easily get to the bay or the city centre, its a nice perk!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront area of the old East Dock in Cardiff Bay is the prime position of the Express by Holiday Inn. Only 15 minutes walking distance from the centre of Cardiff makes a great place to stay, and to view the magnificent local shops and picturesque Arcades.Walking distance to Mermaid Quay and Millennium Centre. It is also situated in the heart of Cardiff's exciting Bay Development. With places of interest including Cardiff Castle, the home of the Welsh Assembly, the Millennium Stadium, The Millennium Centre, Techniquest the Children's Science Museum and the Museum of Welsh Life at St.Fagans, the Express by Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay is your one and only choice for accommodation in Cardiff. The Express by Holiday Inn is located just off M4 Motorway, which makes access very easy, and brings you around the city centre, showing you attractions like you have never seen before. There is ample onsite parking, which is charged at £6 per 24 hours. For your peace of mind, our car park is monitored 24 hours a day by CCTV.Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Southall Travel, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelsClick so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Hotel Cardiff
- Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Wales