“Our UltraTechTravel Honeymoon Package (Arrangements by Christina Moon): Holiday Inn Express, Cardiff Bay”

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I recently were married, and asked Christina Moon from UltraTechTravel (http://www.UltraTechTravel.com) to set up a ten day stay in the United Kingdom.

We left London for five nights in Cardiff, Wales. The Hotel is situated in between the main central section of Cardiff and the bay. We were able to walk to either location, and the neighborhood was pleasant even at night. The central location was a huge savings on cab fares and bus fares while in Cardiff, but close enough to the train station that we caught a local train to visit someone we were acquainted with in Barry, about a 20 minute train ride away.

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful, pleasant, and enjoyable to talk with. The only thing that really bothered us was the lack of ice buckets so we could cool bottles of water to stay hydrated. The staff did find a container for us to use, so they did their best to overcome the problem for us as quickly as they could.

The breakfast was basic, but was filling and gave us the energy we needed to take those long morning walks to our next adventure. I never lacked for good coffee, warm food, and a little fresh fruit to take with me for that first walk of the day.

The room was basic: this is an express hotel, not a luxury suite! However the staff kept the room clean, and it was comfortable and gave us a place to rest in between our day trips and local adventures.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay, and certainly will consider the hotel again when we visit Cardiff. We appreciated Christina Moon from UltraTechTravel finding our Cardiff 'base of operations' for our visit!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Timothy S
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Timothy S

Firstly, congratualtions on your recent wedding. It's really pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our location was ideal for you.

I have noted your comments re ice buckets and will make sure that this is resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

Karen Matthews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend with our IHG employee rate and I'm not sure if they cared less about showing us good customer service because we were paying less as employees but as a Manager of an IHG property in London i was disappointed with the rude reception team at check in. I had to make some last minute changes to our room type and after asking politely if it would be POSSIBLE to change it I was told "if you wanted that room why didn't you just book it in the first place" then he went on to tell me "This just makes things more difficult" in a rude tone. For me and my friends this was a shock as we would never speak to our guests like that and if I heard my staff doing so they would be at Job centre the next day!! Unfortunately I didn't get his name has both him and his colleague didn't have name badges and one of them wasn't evening in uniform and had studs in his ears, no where close to the IHG standards at all in reception. On the plus side, rooms were good and the girl in the restaurant was topping up the buffet with a big smile and was very polite when I asked if I could take some breakfast upstairs for my girlfriend. I personally would NEVER stay in this hotel again but I guess i was just one of the unlucky ones. I did get one positive thing out of this, I make sure my staff know how important a first impression can be.

• Stayed March 2013
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would appreciate if you could call me to discuss the issues which you had on 029 20449000.

Regards

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Cardiff. The location is very good 15-20 minute walk into the City Centre and about a 10 minute walk into the Bay. Hotel was basic, just what to expect from an Express, found staff to be very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was basic but still had all the favourites! Would stay again :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank StaceyHand
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear StaceyHand

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm really pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back again soon.

Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The rating above presumes that the traveller is willing to settle for some lesser level experience in return for economy. Forget about spacious rooms, extensive breakfast, or staff at your beck and call. Note, however, the prominence of the full bar. These Express hotels are designed to compete with lower end options, while using the Holiday Inn name. For people who aren't going to spend much actual time in the hotel, it is quite adequate. Rooms and bathrooms are clean if small, but have little storage space and forget about shampoos, body lotions, etc. The hotel is in Cardiff Bay, but rather set back from the hub at Mermaid Quay, etc. In fact, it is nearly as far from the waterfront as it is from the High Street in the City Centre. In does, however, look out on a (slightly shabby) waterway (not the Bay), so choose the water view rooms. The staff frankly varied in quality, with some quite helpful and knowledgeable (such as for directions around the city) and others less so.

Room Tip: Higher rooms wih water view are slightly preferred
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Frantom_10

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are planning a visit to Cardiff.

New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This hotel is located halfway between Cardiff city center and Cardiff bay, which I suppose is fine if you are driving, but not for taking the train (with luggage) and walking. You need a taxi from the Cardiff Central rail station - I was told by several people that was far more practical than waiting for the Cardiff Bay train. The taxi was only about £5, so that wasn't too bad. I was glad of the taxi because it would have been hard to find the hotel on my own, because it was tucked back behind rows of flats and a car park. The rooms are plain, reasonably clean, but not quite as good as you might expect. My non-smoking room had a lingering faint stale smoky smell, but not quite enough to request another room. There was no shampoo, a liquid soap dispenser on the wall instead of individual bars, loud guests in the hallways, scaffolding outside the window, and stained low-grade carpet. Worse for an international traveler with no data plan - there was no free wifi on the premises at all. After deciding to spring for the £9 high speed Internet, I learned access is completely non-transferable between devices. (This is not what I was originally told.) To make matters even more irritating, the internet disconnected if you were not active for five minutes, and you had to log in again and again with an annoyingly complicated username and password. In addition, the "10 minute walk" to the waterfront restaurants was more like 20-25 minutes, and it was not an attractive walk. I don't think I will be going back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear GinBinNJ

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is extremely important to us, as it helps us to constantly monitor and improve the services which we deliver.

I'm sorry to read that you did not enjoy our location in between Cardiff Bay and the City Centre. Many of our guests find that this is ideal for them to get around the city easily. We do have have some small scaffolding up at the hotel at the moment for some roof works which need to be done, however this is only temporary and will shortly be removed.

We have recently relaunched our loyalty scheme and from 1st July, any Gold or Plantinum Elite members of IHG Rewards receive FREE internet in any of our hotels. I am sorry that you did not notice on the login voucher that you received that the code was per device - and will certainly ensure that the team here point that out to guests in future to avoid further confusion.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We used the Holiday Inn Express in Cardiff as our base for our first visit to Cardiff. We found the hotel was very well positioned for Cardiff Bay area, & also for the Millenium Theatre & the other attractions in the new Bay area.If you need to get to the City Centre, other hotels are available much closer, but the tranquility of this hotel's

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here on a stag do and it does exactly what you need it to. Rooms are more than adequate, modern with good clean bathrooms. Breakfast was fine, although cooked options were limited to sausages, beans and scrambled egg (the horrible powdered stuff). There is a pub across the road that does good food and you are only a short walk away from the bay. Would probably go back as long as I wasn't looking to impress anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank British_Tourist_21
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear British_Tourist_21,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.