“Clean, pleasant hotel in a location that felt a bit deserted”

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, pleasant hotel in a location that felt a bit deserted”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel in May when we were going to a wedding at The Wharf next door. The hotel was fine and what would be usually expected of the Holiday Inn chain - clean rooms, helpful staff. The breakfast is fine though we were disappointed there wasn't any bacon on offer. The location of the hotel was very handy for our purposes but the wharf it was on did seem as if it had been regenerated a few years ago but then not really used much since and seemed rather deserted whilst we were there.

I have previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in the Albert Dock in Liverpool which I thought was a great hotel and would definitely return to if I were in Liverpool again, however, if I were going to Cardiff for any reason other than a wedding at The Wharf next door I think I would find a different hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Nice to have a room that looks out over the water
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear midnightnoodles

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location useful.

As a Holiday Inn Express standard, we offer our Free Continental Breakfast, with selected hot favourites, which are sausages, scrambled eggs and baked beans - which most of our guests enjoy.

We do find that given our location in between the city centre and Cardiff bay, many of our guests enjoy the facilities which are around, which may be why there were not a great deal of people around while you were staying. I do know that there are some plans being finalised for the East Dock part of the waterfront which the hotel overlooks, which include Cable Wakeboarding from 2014.

We have also recently had our lounge area upgraded, which includes comfortable sofas and seats - so many more of our guests can relax in the bar area and enjoy some refreshments.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that we can have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again on your next visit to Cardiff.

Karen Matthews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Wales
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Six of us stayed here at the end of June and had a great time. The rooms were clean and tidy. Some rooms have a view over the water we had the car park view!!! Tea and coffee making facilities, tv and hair dryer. The shower was amazing, large and worked perfectly! Reception were very accommodating and helpful with all our needs and very friendly along with the bar man too!! Breakfast was a basic affair, self service and very much every man for themselves! But it had everything you would want for breakfast on offer and was tasty.
Easy walking distance to public transport, to the cinema complex and a 10/15 min walk to the BAy itself. Theres a lovely bar right next to the hotel. I would stay here again and will be booking next year when I stay at the Bay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the water not the car park. Generally all floors were quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sunshine74Wales

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are of course delighted that you gave us a 5 star review and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Cardiff. It may be an idea to contact us prior to your arrival to request a waterfront facing room - these are always the most popular as I'm sure you can imagine.

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed here for our graduation. The room was nice and just what we were looking for location wise. What really made our stay excellent was the customer service which was friendly and helpful and really made us feel they couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast overlooking the water was also a plus. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Katee187

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us. We do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon!

Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here with my daughter to see Cardiff University.
We arrived quite late, but check-in was quick and easy. The room was big, and bathroom nice. The view wasn't the best (of the Car park) but this isn't really an issue. We used the bar which was quite pricey, but service was good and the atmosphere was nice. Breakfast in the morning was lovely; wide range of cereal, pastries & cooked items etc. The manager, Karen, in-particular was outstanding We were impressed that on returning to the hotel after checking out in the morning, having left our car at the hotel all day with their permission (which we were also pleased with!), she remembered that we had been visiting the university, and wished my daughter luck with the whole process.

Overall, a lovely stay in Cardiff - If my daughter attends the university I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Terri P

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your recent stay here and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Karen
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I recently were married, and asked Christina Moon from UltraTechTravel (http://www.UltraTechTravel.com) to set up a ten day stay in the United Kingdom.

We left London for five nights in Cardiff, Wales. The Hotel is situated in between the main central section of Cardiff and the bay. We were able to walk to either location, and the neighborhood was pleasant even at night. The central location was a huge savings on cab fares and bus fares while in Cardiff, but close enough to the train station that we caught a local train to visit someone we were acquainted with in Barry, about a 20 minute train ride away.

The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful, pleasant, and enjoyable to talk with. The only thing that really bothered us was the lack of ice buckets so we could cool bottles of water to stay hydrated. The staff did find a container for us to use, so they did their best to overcome the problem for us as quickly as they could.

The breakfast was basic, but was filling and gave us the energy we needed to take those long morning walks to our next adventure. I never lacked for good coffee, warm food, and a little fresh fruit to take with me for that first walk of the day.

The room was basic: this is an express hotel, not a luxury suite! However the staff kept the room clean, and it was comfortable and gave us a place to rest in between our day trips and local adventures.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay, and certainly will consider the hotel again when we visit Cardiff. We appreciated Christina Moon from UltraTechTravel finding our Cardiff 'base of operations' for our visit!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Timothy S
Dear Timothy S

Firstly, congratualtions on your recent wedding. It's really pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our location was ideal for you.

I have noted your comments re ice buckets and will make sure that this is resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend with our IHG employee rate and I'm not sure if they cared less about showing us good customer service because we were paying less as employees but as a Manager of an IHG property in London i was disappointed with the rude reception team at check in. I had to make some last minute changes to our room type and after asking politely if it would be POSSIBLE to change it I was told "if you wanted that room why didn't you just book it in the first place" then he went on to tell me "This just makes things more difficult" in a rude tone. For me and my friends this was a shock as we would never speak to our guests like that and if I heard my staff doing so they would be at Job centre the next day!! Unfortunately I didn't get his name has both him and his colleague didn't have name badges and one of them wasn't evening in uniform and had studs in his ears, no where close to the IHG standards at all in reception. On the plus side, rooms were good and the girl in the restaurant was topping up the buffet with a big smile and was very polite when I asked if I could take some breakfast upstairs for my girlfriend. I personally would NEVER stay in this hotel again but I guess i was just one of the unlucky ones. I did get one positive thing out of this, I make sure my staff know how important a first impression can be.

• Stayed March 2013
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would appreciate if you could call me to discuss the issues which you had on 029 20449000.

Regards

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Cardiff. The location is very good 15-20 minute walk into the City Centre and about a 10 minute walk into the Bay. Hotel was basic, just what to expect from an Express, found staff to be very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was basic but still had all the favourites! Would stay again :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank StaceyHand
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear StaceyHand

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm really pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back again soon.