“Good hotel for city centre”

Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Here on business, hotel is around 15/20 min walk from the train station/city centre.
My room was on the top floor looking out over the water, which was a lovely surprise. The bed however was a not so pleasant surprise! I have never known a bed to be so hard in my life. The pillows are labelled 'firm' and 'soft'... they all feel exactly the same. So i'd imagine the cleaners have mixed them all up.. or don't really care about the firmness of pillows.
Signs in the bathroom, that say to hang up towels if they don't need changing. I was only staying 2 nights, so more than happy to keep the same towels, i hung them up. Came back late afternoon, have all new towels. What is the point of the sign if your going to change them all anyway?
Most hotels I stay at have a little info pack about the hotel in the room. With things like breakfast/bar opening times, snacks available, nearby restaurants etc. Nothing like that here, would make a good addition I think.
Girl on reception was very friendly, even though there was a queue of people.
Breakfast was ok, not a great deal of hot choices. But for a free breakfast you cant expect everything.
Good hotel if your visiting the city on a budget.
a

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the water and are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear CoasterRider2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm sorry that you found the bed and pillows in your room were not as comfortable as you would have liked. I have certainly taken your point on board with regards to changing the towels in the room and will make sure that the team are given refresher training on this.

As a company, we moved away from having in room directories, however do have all of this information digitally on our television system - which is accessed via the remote control in the bedroom.

On a positive note, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your free breakfast with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are planning a visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Cardiff prior to a business meeting.
The hotel was easy enough to find and the car parking adequate.
The reception was basic but gentleman on reception was friendly and advised of breakfast times etc.

My room was on an upper floor and was clean and functional, however, the bathroom was dated and a little worn.
As I arrived late I do not know if they do food and did not sample breakfast next moring due to an early departure.

Room Tip: No comment to make
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear SarahLouJ

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do hope that we can welcome you again the next time you are planning a trip to Cardiff.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Ok So I did mess up the on-line booking. It was not clear to me when I booked that it was a non refundable booking - and certainly at those prices it did not ring any alarm bells. So I had to cancel my second night because of a change of travel plans but was still charged. Rang HI customer care who said yes I had made a mistake when booking BUT they would get in touch with the hotel explain the situation and see if anything could be done and get them to call me - £99 for a night is a lot to loose.

I waited 2 days with no call so I called them direct myself to explain the situation. Bluntly I was told it was policy and pretty much its tough. OK so we arrived and I asked that the room be available until early afternoon on the Saturday - I was initially told no because the hotel is full - so they had sold that day again despite charging me - I was told that's policy - and its how it worked so again basically tough - however I was given until 2pm on the Saturday to vacate the room.

The room was in need of basic maintenance - black in the corners of the shower room (no bath!) the beds were like sleeping on concrete and the pillows were well past their sell by date - lumpy and flaccid. Despite have little tags on them that say soft - they were all the same . One of the beds was pushed right up next to the radiator.

Saturday morning and the "inclusive hot breakfast". That was a very sorry affair - very poor quality sausages, dry scrambled eggs that tasted of nothing, burnt toast and congealing baked beans - we did turn the toaster down but the waitress came back and turned it up again :-( maybe because the bread was frozen? - and croissants and other baked goods that were - verging on stale
The coffee out of the machine was tolerable.

The one saving grace was a male member of staff on reception who was doing his best to be as helpful as possible.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear LoisM

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We do offer great discounted deals on our advance purchase rate, however the terms do clearly state that they are non-refundable and non-transferable, with prepayment taken at the time of booking. I'm pleased that the team were able to offer you a late checkout until 2pm on the day at no extra charge.

As a Holiday Inn Express, all of our rooms have showers only and our bedrooms are of a standard size. I certainly take your comments on board with regards to the pillows - and our housekeeping team are aware to ensure that the service we offer of either firm or soft pillows on each of our beds is adhered to.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy our Free Breakfast. We cook this freshly each morning and the majority of our guests find this a great way to start their day.

On a positive note, I am really pleased to hear that you found Barry on reception to be helpful during your stay - and will make sure your kind words are shared with him.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting Cardiff.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is the hotel to which all budget hotels should aspire in terms of the accommodation, cost and above all the service. So often a stay at a low-cost hotel means at the best, indifferent service, and often far worse than that. What a totally refreshing change when one is treated in a friendly, welcoming and professional throughout the stay.

When I reported a faulty lock in one of the windows (these things do happen) the helpful maintenance man appeared within a matter of minutes, apologised that I was having a problem (it really wasn't his fault) and resolved the problem within minutes.

This hotel proves that it's possible to stay at a budget hotel which provides excellent service in every respect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear pdmco

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team and in particular Yusef - our Maintenance Engineer.

We very much look foward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting Cardiff.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location for both Cardiff Bay and the shopping centre, about 10 -15 minutes walk to both. It is in a quite location, and breakfast is not bad, although quite limited. We had a wheelchair accessible room, the down side's are that I had to push one of the beds over (twin bed's no other choice was given) to be able to get the wheelchair near the side of the bed. The grab rails in the bathroom (we had a wet room) are not particularly well place (who checks these facilities out) there is a small sink right next to the toilet which makes it very difficult to transfer from wheelchair to loo and back again. The shower seat is very small (even if you have a small behind) it doesn't feel very safe, again lack of grab rails. Fortunately I took two suction grab rails with us and was able to use them. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I just wish that all hotel groups would take more care when putting in facilities for the disabled.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the water. It was very quite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Linda N

Thank you for your valuable feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

I have made note of your thoughts with regards to our accessible rooms so that we can consider these should the opportunity arise to make any changes to them in the future.

I am pleased to read that you found the team to be helpful and friendly and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again if you are planning a visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Great location right in between town and the bay. Quiet location off the main road. Rooms were basic to be expected in hotel of this type. Great breakfast, with lots of choice. Staff really welcoming and helpful. Ideally situated for exploring, overall a lovely base for a weekend break.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear AdeleNeal

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed our time there. Great base to explore Cardiff and the surrounding areas. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the city centre which has a really good Shopping centre with good shops ,restaurants &bars to suit everyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear mickeymoo66

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt the hotel was an ideal base for you to explore Cardiff.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Cardiff.