“Good night stay”

Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
North Wales, United Kingdom
“Good night stay”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and we had a very good experience. We were welcomed by very friendly reception staff. Our room was clean and ticked all the boxes of what you want for a good value hotel. It is a 15 min walk to Cardiff bay where we had a fantastic night out. The hotel is in a ok location. I think some maintenance work is needed to the dock side of the hotel as the walk to the bay was a bit overgrown. Also an information leaflet of the restaurants in the area would be good. The breakfast was ok and included in the rate. Can get busy at peak times but we were told this at check inn. We were in room 303 which is next to the lift. You can hear the lift from this room. It did not cause me any concern but may to other guests as there is a little noise. All in all a good night stay by holiday inn again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Richard C

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have made a note of your comments with regards to the areas surrounding the hotel, although these are outwith the hotel boundaries, we do try to work alongside the local community to keep these as tidy and clean as possible - as many of our guests do enjoy the view overlooking the water.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Karen Matthews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Visited the HI express Cardiff for one night. The hotel is located in the middle of new development apartments near the Bay. Reception and foyer are clean and modern. Check in was quick although the receptionist didn't give us any info about wifi (which is free) or alert us to the fact that you require a passcode to get out of the car park.

The room was clean and modern in line with Holiday Inn brand. Tea and coffee facilities, hair dryer, flat screen tv, shaving sockets in bathroom etc The light over the bed didn't work, maybe the bulbs needed changing. (didn't bother to find out since we were there only one night)
Bathroom had the usual holiday inn towels and 2 in 1 showergel/shampoo in a pump. Bathroom was clean except for the hair we found in the shower. The shower experience was a disappointment though. Lukewarm water coming out in tiny sprinkles as the water pressure didn't seem very good.

Bed was comfortable and room was at the end of the corridor and very quiet, therefore had a goodnight's sleep.

Breakfast room is small but lovely as it overlooks the water. Brekkie comprised of scrambled eggs (not the best I've had) baked beans, sausages (didn't eat any as I don't like pork), croissants, toast, yoghurt, cereal, fruit and hot drinks. As I love herbal teas I was happy to see that they had a few varieties including green tea.

Checkout was quick. We paid £5 for parking for the night.
The hotel is supposedly close to city centre and restaurants (15-20 minutes) but we had to use the car to get everywhere because it was raining. Parking in the city centre is expensive. On average the parking places we used were btwn (£2-£3.20) an hour. There are some lovely French and Italian restaurants at the bay and also some well known chains such Wagamama, Pizza Express, Zizzi's , Bella Italia.

In all the hotel is lovely but needs to sort out the showers, other than that it was comfortable and served as a good base for our short visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Missy J

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the cleanliness of your shower. We do pride ourselves on a high standard of cleanliness and this is not normal for us. I am confident that if you had brought the light over the bed to the attention of our team that this would have been dealt with swiftly for you - although I do acknowledge that basics such as working lights and a good shower are a necessity when staying over night.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Falmouth
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We visited the holiday inn to go to the Dr who experience. We were greeted in a very friendly way with instructions on how to get there plus a run down on where all the other dr locations were! The room was clean and comfy and the breakfast was great and a good start to the day ... Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is ideally situated for the bay and Cardiff centre. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough tea bags in the room and we had to keep asking reception for more but I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Cardiff :)

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sarah W
Dear Sarah W

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm really pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Cardiff and the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are planning a trip.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This little hotel is simple and adequate. It is clean comfortable and had nearly everything I needed.it looked out over the river. It is close to the centre of the city. It is within walking distance to most things like the Motorpoint Arena, Millenium Stadium and Wales Millenium Centre. The breakfast in the morning was great and although simple, perfectly adequate. The wi-fi was nice and strong. The only thing I could have done with in the room was a safe. As an international traveller I wasn't keen on walking around with my passport all day but there were safety boxes in reception. The best thing about this hotel is their staff. I was hugely impressed by the friendliness, helpfulness and great service all the staff gave, from the GM downwards. Nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the water. The car park rooms may be a little noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear LTWells101

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have noted your comments with regards to the safe in the room - and I am pleased that we were able to offer the facility of our safety deposit boxes in the reception area.

Thank you once again and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are planning a trip to Cardiff.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Very short stay at this hotel (midnight - 8.30am). Very friendly and staff (although I had a suitcase, heavy flight case and my normal bag and no one asked if I needed help to my room which would have been nice and gratefully received).
TV did not seem to work in the room. Comfy bed. Sofa was ripped around the edges.
I did not have time to stop for breakfast however the check out staff did offer to get me juice/pastries to take away with me which was lovely of them.

I'd stay again but probably not for an extended stay, one night would be fine.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Leanne T

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent short stay with us.

You will be pleased to hear that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme, which includes replacing some of our sofa beds.

As a limited service hotel, we don't have a porter service to offer - but I have shared your comments with the team to make them aware, and we do have trolleys for guests to use in the reception area - which are really useful, especially for larger items of luggage.

On a positive note, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in Cardiff.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Although this is a budget hotel is it beyond acceptable to have broken fire doors (3rd floor). Surely this is a fire hazard! Not only that they have numerous fire exit lights out and a leaking roof that goes into the stairs area.... Yet another hazard!! The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, the only thing that let them down was the lazy maintenance guy.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Keiko 29

Thank you for taking the time to leave this valuable feedback.

Firstly, I'd like to reassure you that we take all matters of fire life safety extremely seriously at this hotel. We do conduct regular checks of our fire doors, emergency exits and lighting. Guest safety is of the utmost importance to us.

We did have an issue with a leak on the stair way during the recent inclement weather - very heavy rain and high winds meant that water found it's way in through the roof space of the hotel, which is not a normal occurence and of course something which we are looking to repair.

On a positive note, I'm pleased to read that you found our team on reception to be friendly.

I do hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel then next time you are planning a visit to Cardiff.

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during the half term. We were here to visit the Dr Who Experience. The location was ideal, central for town and Mermaid Quay, would recommend the water bus from the Quay to town £3 adult ticket (one way). The room was fine, clean and had everything you needed. The breakfast in the morning was lovely, plenty of it and everything you would want.
The hotel manager, Karen, was wonderful, nothing was too much trouble. She made us and especially my little boy feel very welcome. We were given a map and Karen highlighted all the best places to go and how to get there. She is defiantly an asset!!!
We really enjoyed our stay, Cardiff is a lovely city and well worth a visit. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Samiedan

I'm so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. It was great to meet you and of course I hope that we can welcome you and your family back again soon!