Booked here not knowing anything about Cardiff's layout and how close it was to the center. Stayed for three nights (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
The hotel is pretty good and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly.
Our room was decent with a good view of the water. Room was a bit warn down in places (there was a draft from the window) however the bed was comfy. TV could do with more channels as there were only about 7 and they were in a random order, really an issue though.
The buffet breakfast was pretty basic for the price. Toast, (cheapo) sausages, scrambled eggs, beans, muffins, nice croissants, fruit, yoghurt and selection of cereal. Had been hoping for some bacon! Free newspaper was good and the selection of drinks was decent.
The selection of beer on tap at the bar is very limited, however there is a good pub directly next to the hotel.
If arriving late, try to make sure you have eaten beforehand. There aren't any takeaways or late night restaurants in the local area. We arrived around 10:30 and after inquiring at reception were given details for ordering a takeaway.
The city center is more like 20 minutes walk (30 minutes to the main street) and about 10 minutes to Cardiff Bay. There are a number of decent restaurants in Cardiff Bay, however not really any decent bars to speak of.
Luckily taxi's are cheap in Cardiff (less than £5 from the Castle).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront area of the old East Dock in Cardiff Bay is the prime position of the Express by Holiday Inn. Only 15 minutes walking distance from the centre of Cardiff makes a great place to stay, and to view the magnificent local shops and picturesque Arcades.Walking distance to Mermaid Quay and Millennium Centre. It is also situated in the heart of Cardiff's exciting Bay Development. With places of interest including Cardiff Castle, the home of the Welsh Assembly, the Millennium Stadium, The Millennium Centre, Techniquest the Children's Science Museum and the Museum of Welsh Life at St.Fagans, the Express by Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay is your one and only choice for accommodation in Cardiff. The Express by Holiday Inn is located just off M4 Motorway, which makes access very easy, and brings you around the city centre, showing you attractions like you have never seen before. There is ample onsite parking, which is charged at £6 per 24 hours. For your peace of mind, our car park is monitored 24 hours a day by CCTV.Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Lastminute, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Hotel Cardiff
- Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Wales