I booked this at a special price through Expedia and thought I had booked the Parc Hotel (which I knew) - similar names, so don't get the two confused! Luckily it was fairly close by.
Initial reactions OK - personally didn't like the decor in the reception area - but if red is your colour, you'll love it. Seemed like there were blinds and curtains everywhere shutting out the natural light in the public areas (the breakfast room too) - again, personally not to my taste, but not a big issue.
I had paid extra to stay in a 'business friendly' room - seemed to tick all the boxes when I walked in, a decent sized desk, power points, ethernet connection, trouser press, adequate space to hang up my suit etc.
However, things soon started to go wrong. I hope the staff at Park Inn read this, as I emailed the hotel two days ago and have heard absolutely nothing back.
1) Internet (which I thought came free with the business rooms) was being charged at £14 whether I tried wired or wireless, so I decided to take my laptop to a cafe instead (although to be fair, I was told at reception on check out that had I used it, the charge would have been removed at check-out. But that's not what the information in the room said.)
2) More importantly - shower leaked into room. I took a shower pretty late at night (towards midnight). When I came back into the room I discovered the carpet was wet particularly on the side nearest the bathroom wall. I had clothes lying on the floor, and they got wet and stained as a result. It was late so rather than report it straight away, I put towels down on the carpet, by the time I got up in the morning the problem had got worse. Hadn't had a great night sleep either as the room got very hot and there was no temperature control or A/C, you could open the window but then there was noise as the hotel is situated on a busy junction. In the morning, I went downstairs and when I returned from breakfast I discovered that workmen were already in the room and had taken the shower apart - the staff hadn't tried to contact me (they had made me fill in an information form on check-in, I had given them my mobile number and they would have had all of this anyway from Expedia). Just as well I didn't still need to use the bathroom.
I explained to the workmen that I was the guest in the room ('we had been told there was no one in here', they said) and that they could come back in ten minutes, as soon as I had packed my bags and checked out. I went down to check out and the receptionist (who was the same guy that checked me in) cheerfully took back my room card, said 'there's no extras to pay, all done, thank you very much' - so he would have known that I was in the flooded room - where upon I cleared my throat and said - 'Before we're finished, I should let you know that I had some issues with the room'. No attempt at an apology from the receptionist, 'oh, another guest must have reported water coming into their room'. Not even a realisation that the water coming into the room might have impacted upon me as well.
At the very least, the Park Inn can expect to receive a dry cleaning bill from me, and at the very least, I would like to receive a written response from them.
If you want my tip on where to stay in Cardiff - A Space in the City in Cardiff Bay is excellent, charges exactly the same and provides you with free parking, free internet, and around 4 times as much space - although there is a two night minimum stay that I couldn't meet on this occasion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel located in the heart of the city, opposite Cardiff International Arena. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Inn By Radisson Cardiff City Centre Hotel Cardiff
- Park Inn Cardiff
- Cardiff Park Inn
- Jurys Inn Cardiff
- Park Inn By Radisson Cardiff City Centre Wales