“Below expectations”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this at a special price through Expedia and thought I had booked the Parc Hotel (which I knew) - similar names, so don't get the two confused! Luckily it was fairly close by.

Initial reactions OK - personally didn't like the decor in the reception area - but if red is your colour, you'll love it. Seemed like there were blinds and curtains everywhere shutting out the natural light in the public areas (the breakfast room too) - again, personally not to my taste, but not a big issue.

I had paid extra to stay in a 'business friendly' room - seemed to tick all the boxes when I walked in, a decent sized desk, power points, ethernet connection, trouser press, adequate space to hang up my suit etc.

However, things soon started to go wrong. I hope the staff at Park Inn read this, as I emailed the hotel two days ago and have heard absolutely nothing back.

1) Internet (which I thought came free with the business rooms) was being charged at £14 whether I tried wired or wireless, so I decided to take my laptop to a cafe instead (although to be fair, I was told at reception on check out that had I used it, the charge would have been removed at check-out. But that's not what the information in the room said.)

2) More importantly - shower leaked into room. I took a shower pretty late at night (towards midnight). When I came back into the room I discovered the carpet was wet particularly on the side nearest the bathroom wall. I had clothes lying on the floor, and they got wet and stained as a result. It was late so rather than report it straight away, I put towels down on the carpet, by the time I got up in the morning the problem had got worse. Hadn't had a great night sleep either as the room got very hot and there was no temperature control or A/C, you could open the window but then there was noise as the hotel is situated on a busy junction. In the morning, I went downstairs and when I returned from breakfast I discovered that workmen were already in the room and had taken the shower apart - the staff hadn't tried to contact me (they had made me fill in an information form on check-in, I had given them my mobile number and they would have had all of this anyway from Expedia). Just as well I didn't still need to use the bathroom.

I explained to the workmen that I was the guest in the room ('we had been told there was no one in here', they said) and that they could come back in ten minutes, as soon as I had packed my bags and checked out. I went down to check out and the receptionist (who was the same guy that checked me in) cheerfully took back my room card, said 'there's no extras to pay, all done, thank you very much' - so he would have known that I was in the flooded room - where upon I cleared my throat and said - 'Before we're finished, I should let you know that I had some issues with the room'. No attempt at an apology from the receptionist, 'oh, another guest must have reported water coming into their room'. Not even a realisation that the water coming into the room might have impacted upon me as well.

At the very least, the Park Inn can expect to receive a dry cleaning bill from me, and at the very least, I would like to receive a written response from them.

If you want my tip on where to stay in Cardiff - A Space in the City in Cardiff Bay is excellent, charges exactly the same and provides you with free parking, free internet, and around 4 times as much space - although there is a two night minimum stay that I couldn't meet on this occasion.

Room Tip: Not room 315!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Hi Gokhart1. We are sorry we did not exceed your expectations on your recent stay with us. We would like to confirm though that the hotel management team have been in touch and have tried to address your issues with you directly as we were not made aware during your stay of the issues you had experienced with the leak and your clothes until after you left.
We thank you again for bringing this to our attention and hope that you are satisfied with the resolution

Reviewed 3 April 2012

For the price paid this is a full service hotel for the price of a Travelodge. Excellent all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast sets you up for business or pleasure. Clean rooms, friendly staff, and right next to the St. David's centre and a short walk to the station.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrew L
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Hi Andrew L, Thanks for taking the time to write your review and for the great comments, it has put smiles on all the staff's faces :)
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Cardiff and hope you have reason to come to Wales again

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed March for a midweek concert. The staff all extremely friendly and helpful (especially Jamie on reception, a huge JLS fan). Hotel facilities very good, rooms had everything you need for a comfortable stay ie:- tea making facilities, hairdryer, iron and board, Flatscreen TV. The huge bonus of this hotel is its location if you are going to the Motorpoint arena, as it is across the road from the venue, and you can sit in comfort of the bar watching the doors open and the queue go down.Parking is under the hotel and costs £10 for 24 hours, though spaces are limited.
Breakfast was fab, had something for everyone and we could not fault it.
Also ladies it is a few hundred yards from a very big shopping centre.
The only negative is that you do get some road noise as it is situated on a busy junction, we knew this and were not bothered by it.

Very happy to recommend this hotel, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Hi Redheartdi, thanks for posting your review about your recent stay. Jamie was so pleased to get his name mentioned.
It is great to get our guests recommendations and I am with you reference the shopping - ideal location!!

Hope you are able to come back soon

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have stayed in this hotel over 20 times in the last year on business. I can assure you this hotel is clean, tidy and staff are friendly and helpful. Excellant location to the Queen Street train station and rooms are of a high standard and always clean.

Excellant breakfast to start your day and would recommend that you have the breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Well thank you Morgs1987, what a fantastic review the staff were thrilled!!
We are so pleased you enjoy staying with us and feel you can recommend the hotel and the breakfast!- Our chef is so happy to get his breakfast mentioned.

Thanks again, hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel when we attended a concert at the Motorpoint Arena (just across the road).
This hotel is situated in an ideal position for easy walking to most of the town centre attractions, and for bed and breakfast was certainly not over priced.
Car parking was on a 'first come basis' and we were fortunate to find a space although we noted there were two larger public car parks about 250m down the road, so I was not too worried if spaces were not available.
Check in was straight forward and staff were very helpful, the room was very clean and tidy, large and airy with a huge comfortable bed, safe, Tv, mini hi-fi, coffee/tea making facilities and a large electric fan.
We enjoyed a pleasant day in Cardiff which has a thriving street cafe culture, and a great night at the concert.
Despite being only late March is was a warm evening and we had to sleep with the window open as there appeared to be no air conditioning. This was fine until about 5am when the the lorries started to arrive with deliveries; and being only on the second floor it was quite noisey. Shutting the window solved the problem however the room became quite stuffy and I would be slightly concerned about how this would be in mid-summer?
Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice to suit all tastes.
Overall a pleasant hotel which suited our needs entirely, but I would remind anyone considering a stay there that this is very close to the town centre and there is activity all around 24/7. I would advise anyone contemplating booking this hotel to give that due consideration

Room Tip: I would suspect higher rooms with a forward facing outlook to be quieter
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Hi Chris B, Many thanks for your honest review. We are pleased you found your stay pleaseant and the breakfast excellent.
The location is ideal but as you have mentioned it is the city centre so it can be a bit lively at times!
We hope you have reason to come back to Cardiff again and maybe try out a room on a higher floor.

Thanks again for you comments

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Ideal location for our first visit to Cardiff. Everything about this hotel is as you would expect from the Radison group.

• Stayed: March 2012
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Hi Themancbeard, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your review. Great to get your recommendation.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here with friends on a friday night, location is great, right in the city centre and pretty easy to find. The car park is a disaster, absolutley tiny so spaces really tight!
We got into the hotel and went to reception to check in, there were 2 guys stood talking and another guy just looking at the computer screen, didnt get a hello or welcome at all. The guy in a suit, who im assuming was a manager as he didnt have uniform on just said to the guys "can you deal with these people because i'm doing this" made us feel really welcome! We gave the name of the booking and stood for what seemed ages being checked in, didnt ask us anything except "are you paying now or giving us a credit card" So we went to the room feeling like a massive inconvenience to them!
The rooms are lovely, exactly what we expected them to be!
We had a drink at the bar and the girl who served us was lovely, really friendly and quite chatty! The girl who was working the next morning at breakfast was very nice too.
The hotel itself is really nice, just a shame the front desk staff were rude! Would probably stay here again as the location is great!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Hi Leese90. Thanks for posting your review. It is aways good to get feedback from our guests even if it is not all positive. Please accept our apologies for not making you feel welcome upon your arrival, our team were very disappointed to read your comments and have taken them on board.
Great to hear though that the rest of team looked after you and the room was 'lovely'.

Hope you will stay again as the front office team would like to have the opportunity to welcome you properly!

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review

Regards