“Very nice stay”

Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here so we could be near to my daughters graduation ceremony. The hotel is nice and central and the staff extremely friendly. Breakfast was really fresh and very well cooked and piping hot. We had two rooms (107) really nice and big and a fan supplied which you needed as it was very hot. My sons were in room (316) which was a lot smaller and far too warm, but on request they were delivered a fan.

Room Tip: Room 107 is nice and big and overlooks the front for people watching.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank You for taking the time to write this feedback, I am glad to see that we ticked off all the boxes to make sure that you have a wonderful stay.
As you said about the lack of air con in the hotel rooms and we are aware of this limitation hence we don’t advertise ourself as a full air con hotel, nevertheless we do have an extra fan and a heater in every single rooms to compensate for the lack of Air con.
Again, I would like to thank you for the time taken to write this feedback and would hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to this wonderful city.
Best Regards,
Mahesh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Since we had not been able to send/receive email for a couple of days. I was looking forward to free wifi at this hotel. The only place I could get wifi in the room was if I stood near the door. When I tried to connect to my email a window popped up that it could not connect to the server. I tried from the lobby with the same result. Otherwise, our room was ok. Breakfast was good. The dining room was more functional than fancy. The lobby was interesting.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest,
We do apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to your stay because of poor Wifi. I have taken up the issue with our Wifi provider and they have done everything necessary to make sure that other guests don’t encounter the same problems.
I am pleased to see that you did enjoy the breakfast.
I would like to thank you for the time taken to write this feedback as it helps to fine tune our operations.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Tucked just off The Haye (main street) with a great pub 'The Duke of Wellington' close by, this hotel ticked a lot of boxes. Their attention to detail in service, cleanliness and comfort sealed it. Breakfast was average hotel quality but having parking available (pay and display) is a big plus. We would highly recommend this to any needing to be near the CBD - rugby stadiums (Cardiff Arms Park) are 4min walk away.

Dear Guest,
As you said we do take extreme pride in our location being so close to the city centre and the major attractions that the city has to offer.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here for one night in July 2013 for a birthday weekend away with the significant other, after having first stayed here nine years ago when it was still Jury's Inn. Firstly the good points - the proximity to the new St David's centre, the main shopping areas of Cardiff and the pubs/restaurants is amazing. The hotel room itself was clean. The bathroom was extremely small and look as though they have been renovated, but are already showing signs of wear in someplaces. On the plus side however - the shower was very powerful which was needed on a very hot Saturday.

Didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that but the breakfast in the morning was fine. It was self service and there was plenty of choice - from full english through to continental with plenty of juice/coffee available. I did fell however that the surroundings were slightly shabby - it had the feeling of a school canteen in places which would have been a let down in the evening.

The negative points of this hotel - There isn't or certainly doesn't appear to be any air conditioning. Radisson seriously need to do something about this as it made for an absolutely unbearable night's sleep. We were unable to open the window, as there were many late night revellers around due to the Lion's win in oz . Although a freestanding fan was supplied, this made absolutely no difference at all.

The double beds are uncomfortable - they appear to be to single beds bolted together which would move apart at the first oppportunity. Also, we were allocated a room on the second floor and there seemed to be a constant smell of stale smoke in the air in the corridor outside. At first, we thought that it was someone trying to have a sneaky cigarette but when this was still there twelve hours later, it was a bit off-putting.

Lastly - if you atttempt to park in the hotel car park, you'll be pushed for space in anything other then a very small car + they charge you £12 for the priviledge. Eventually, we parked in the public car park just down the road from the Motorpoint arena which was half the price.

This hotel is ok but there's better. Certainly - avoid like the plague in hot weather and on weekends as the surounding area can be very noisy.

Dear Guest,
Thank You for taking time to write this feedback. I am disappointed to see the problems that you encountered during your stay. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused but be rest assured that I have taken your feedback with the rest of my team and have taken all corrective measure to make sure that these issues don’t reoccur.
I would really appreciate if you give us another chance to change your opinion about us. Alternatively please don’t hesitate to contact myself if you wish to discuss this further.
San Diego
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed here with a Trafalgar tour group. Everyone else seemed to have acceptable rooms but ours was not! Not only did we have to kill 3 spiders while showering, there was writing on the walls, wholes in the ceiling, and areas of missing and torn up carpet. You can tell that this is an older hotel, but it needs some serious work! The only air conditioning was a dinky little fan that was dirty so you might get HOT! There was also smelly food left outside our door that room service never came to pick up! We called down to try to get a new room but they were fulled booked that night so we put up with the room conditions. I will be posting all of the photos too! This place is not up to standards!

Room Tip: Dont get room 609!
1 Thank Merlot D
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I have taken up the issue of the room service trays being kept outside the room with my Food and Beverage manager who in turn has taken up the training issue with her team to make sure these issues don’t re occur.
Regarding the issue of spiders in the room, I would like to make you aware that we do not advertise our hotel as a Air-con hotel but there are windows in few of the rooms, because of the hot weather outside, the guest keep the windows open encouraging foreign bodies like spiders to enter the room. But I do appologise for the inconvenience caused.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback, we hope you give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Mahesh

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Looe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night with my mum who is in a wheelchair. Couldn't fault staff, they were all very helpful, and the room was clean and comfy. Also ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. However we were supposed to have an accessible room but the door was barely wide enough for a wheelchair, the door to the bathroom was too narrow and had a massive step between them, and while there was a funny low bath, it was still a bath not a shower - impossible to use if you can't lift your leg up quite high. Also most of the other doors were standard width and needed you to undo bolts at the top to open a second panel and make the space wider. There were no accessible buttons for opening doors except the main entrance. We could cope with these things as I could reach up and open the doors, we were only staying one night so could live without the shower, and my mum can get out of the chair for short periods. But it would be rubbish for someone on their own, that was staying longer or unable to get out of the wheelchair. Probably the least accessible hotel she's been in, and she's travelled quite a bit in Europe, US and UK.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank You for taking the time to write this feedback. I apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay. I have taken up the issues with accessible room with our chief engineer who has taken the project of making it more disable friendly and your comments definitely helps as a guide. I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the service delivered by our staff who always go out of their way to deliver exceptional service and they are glad that their service was appreciated at this platform.
Again thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and hope you give us another chance when your travel brings you back to this wonderful city.
TEWKESBURY
Reviewed 3 July 2013

As hotels go, it was ok. Good points, spacious room, clean & comfortable. Breakfast was self service and there was nothing lacking. Bad points, NOISY! It's not the hotels fault but being close to the nightlife of the city attracts revellers to stay there and quality of sleep was NOT good. If you want to utilise their parking then you might struggle as tight for space. We had fun at check in. They'd upgraded us to a business suite ( no extra cost ) but when we got to the room it was occupied... Good job we were honest as personal belongings were strewn all over the room. Back at reception, staff seemed mystified but were soon able to allocate us another room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,
Thank You for taking the time to write this feedback about us. I do apologise for the noise problems that you encountered during your stay. I have taken up the issue of you being checked in into an occupied room with my Front Office Manager who in turn has taken up the training issue with the rest of his reception team to make sure that these issues don’t repeat. With regards to parking we do have limited spaces available and we do understand the frustration it can cause, hence we do recommend St David’s car park which is just a stone’s throw away.
I am aware that we do have a lot of stag and hen groups staying during the weekend and they can cause noise problems but we do have strict no tolerance policy towards noise once they proceed up to their rooms which they are made aware on check in. In case if they still create problems all you have to do is ring the reception which is 24 hours and our night manager will take care of the rest.
Again, thank you for taking time to write this feedback and I hope you give us another chance to change your opinion about us.