“Ok, wouldn't be my first choice. ”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights midweek. Just a 10 minute walk from Cardiff Central station and very close to shops and restaurants so great location.

Check in was quick, although I wasn't offered a morning alarm call. They did organise this when I asked. I don't remember being advised of the times for breakfast either.

Room was ok, could do with updating. The room decor was not in keeping with the reception area of the hotel. There were cobwebs in the corner of the room and in the bathroom one of the downlighters didn't work. The shower was hot but not powerful enough for me.

Tea and coffee was provided, along with a few chocolates and a personalised greeting, which was a nice touch. Could've done with a couple more teabags.

The breakfast was sufficient, plenty to choose from and quick service. The bread for toasting was hard on both mornings which made me think it had been there a few days.

On checkout, I wasn't asked about my stay but all the staff were pleasant throughout.

Overall, it was ok but I would consider other nearby hotels as my first choice.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Claire W
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this feedback about us. I am disappointed to see the issues that you encountered during your stay. I am aware that there are areas of the hotel which do look tired and are in need of refurbishment, you would be pleased to know we are planning for a soft refurbishment planned in the middle of the year.
I also apologies that you were not asked for wake up call on check in or the feedback for your stay on check out and I have discussed this issue with my Front of House manager who has taken up the training issues with his department.
Again many thanks for the time taken to write this feedback and I hope you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Mahesh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The check in experience was not good after a long distance travelled. There was only one receptionist Clerk on duty. He was doing his best but a 20 min wait to check in is simply just not acceptable.

The room, whilst clean was freezing cold. No central heating or radiators???? There was a small on the wall electric heather (see photo) which had no thermostat and was in a general bad state of repair. After a little while in the room I actually needed to take a hot shower to warm up. Whilst this did warm my body I was freezing again as soon as I stepped out of the shower as there is not heating at all in the bathroom.

The only thing to do was to put on my shirt and go to bed cold. All was well until 0230 when the sound of screaming from local drunken teenagers passed by the hotel outside woke me from my sleep. The glazing is insufficient to keep the noise from outside from coming in.

I very much doubt that I will use the Park Inn Cardiff for any future business or pleasure stays.

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Bring a cardigan, pyjamas and ear mufflers
2  Thank rascall

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to write this feedback. I am disappointed to see the issues that you encountered during your stay. I apologies to see the state of the heater in your room. Also, I would like to make a point for yourself or any future guest that we do have a 24 hour reception and management presence in the building hence in future please make us aware of these issues like the noise and the heater just by dialing ‘0’ from your phone so we can take corrective actions straight away.
Again, please accept my apologies and if you wish to discuss these issues please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at the Park Inn recently for a one-night business trip and won't be staying again. From reading the other reviews there must clearly be two categories of rooms: I was allocated a room on the first floor having booked direct through the hotel's website. The carpet was covered in huge brown stains, and there were long dark hairs in the shower and bath from a previous visitor. The heating didn't work in the room, so I went to reception at around 5.30pm to ask if someone could fix it, as it was a very cold rainy evening. I popped next door to John Lewis to buy a jumper as I was so cold. The reception team eventually rang at just past 8.30pm to say there were no maintenance people on site, offered to move my room (I'd unpacked and frankly couldn't be bothered) so the team arrived with an extra duvet but, given the general state of the room, I don't think it had been maintained or visited for a while. It was so dirty I didn't stay for breakfast and checked out at 7 to find somewhere more hygienic to eat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,
I am very disappointed to see the issues that you encountered during your stay. Please let me assure you that this is not the normal standard that we practice in the hotel. I have discussed the issues that you have encounter with my team and all the corrective actions have been taken in order to ensure that these issues don’t reoccur.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss this issue further with me at Maheswaran.thangaraj@rezidorparkinn.com and I hope that you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here for the night before our anniversary on January 2 nd 2014 , we parked our car for £12.00 for 24 hrs in the underground , they let us check in at 13.30 instead of 14.30 , our room was fabulous ,went into Cardiff to do a bit of shopping then back to the hotel freshen up before coming out for the evening .the breakfast the following morning was very good from cereals ,toast to cooked breakfast tea coffee and different juices on offer , defiantly go back there to stay

Room Tip: Ask for room 227
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It gives me immense happiness to know that we made your anniversary stay special.
I have discussed your feedback with my team and they are very happy that you appreciated our product and their service at this platform.
Again, many thanks for your feedback and we hope to welcome you when your travel brings back to Cardiff.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for two nights. The rooms are lovely with a big comfy bed and you even get a stereo in the room. The only bad things were not having a window u could open as it was hot, not much coffee, doors banging in corridor and not much choice on hot breakfast buffet. It is in a perfect location by city centre and the staff are helpful. Thanks for a wonderful stay id definately come back again.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. I am glad that us being a 3 star hotel exceeded your expectation and contributed to making your hotel stay a luxurious one. I have already discussed the issues that you encountered during your stay and have made sure that the next guest isn’t inconvenienced.
Again, thank you for the time taken to write this feedback and I hope to welcome you back when your travel brings you to the wonderful city.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Good location being city centre, good varied and plentyful breakfast. On arrival several noisey people at the front door, quite loud music inside, i could even hear it in my room, 224,

The room was passable, although a little more attention to cleanliness wouldn't go amiss.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time taken to write this feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I have taken up the issue of noise with my team to make sure that guests are not inconvenienced because of the level of noise from other guests or from ongoing hotel function. In the future if the problem occurs please dial ‘0’ and our team will be more than proactive to deal with your issue.
Again, many thanks for your time to write this feedback and we hope to welcome you back when your travel brings you to this wonderful city.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for one night mid-week with colleagues in December 2013.

Work had booked this hotel for 3 of us as we were attending a conference over 2 days in the city. We know Cardiff relatively well so finding the hotel was fairly easy - it's right next to the Motorpoint Arena. We were able to get a space in the hotel's underground car park (£12 for 24 hours), which is quite reasonable - St. David's 2 shopping centre's car park is also adjacent if there aren't spaces and is similarly priced, though would be a 10 minute walk from your car to the hotel via lifts etc. Location-wise, it's ideal as it's right in the heart of the city centre.

We left the car and returned later in the day to check in, which was relatively smooth despite the fact there was only one person on the desk. I was allocated a double room on the 3rd floor - the lifts weren't the quickest but did work okay.

The room was a good size, had a desk, chair, plenty of hanging space, tea & coffee facilities, flat screen TV, iron & ironing board and a coffee table and chair - the room had a view of John Lewis next door (see the photo). Everything was clean and tidy - the bed linen was also spotless. The bed was comfortable and didn't hear any noise from adjacent rooms.

The bathroom was a good size too - no issues with hot water or water pressure. However, when I came back from breakfast before check-out, there was water coming through the light fitting in the bathroom from the floor above - I reported this on check-out but the receptionist didn't seem that bothered, despite the fact I pointed out a lot of water had accumulated in only a short space of time!

Breakfast was great - didn't have any problems getting a table and there was a good selection: full English (eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, hash browns, tomato, black pudding), continental (croissants, pastries, pain au chocolat etc.), yogurts and fresh fruit, as well as juices and tea & coffee.

Overall, despite the bathroom leak, I'd consider using this hotel again, especially if the price was good as the location is ideal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am happy that you had a great stay and you also shared your experience with photographs here. As you said that we do take extreme pride in our location being in the heart of the city closer to all the major events and attractions that the city has to offer.
I do apologies that the issue of water leakage by the light was not dealt with much consideration on check out, be rest assured that I have taken all the internal measures to make sure that these issues don’t reoccur.
Again, many thanks for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back when your travel brings you to this wonderful city.