“Reinvest in the property”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Reinvest in the property”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I have now been put here for 4 trips. This one I got the best room I have had which is why I upped the rating. Newish carpet, clean (I.e. no mold or mildew) bathroom, Air con that works. My first room was unacceptable! Front desk staff did their best to be helpful.

Public areas are ok. All carpets need replacement.

Overall the hotel is run down and a bit shabby. Location is fantastic.

Breakfast iis full English and good.
Bar is open 24 hrs.

If the owner would reinvest in the rooms this could easily be a 3/4 star. IT IS NOT A THREE STAR at this point.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay because of the overall condition of the hotel. I am aware that there are areas of the hotel that looks tired and in need of refurbishment, and there are plans for a soft refurbishment that will resolve these issues. We have taken your feedback on board and will make sure that the issue is resolved.
We hope you give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Mahesh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I were toying with the idea of going away for the Bank Holiday weekend and decided at the 11th hour to take a break in Cardiff. We originally wanted to stay in the Radisson Blu in Cardiff centre as we have stayed there before and were impressed. Unfortunately, we were unable to find a room available, but noticed that a room was available at the Park Inn, just a short walk away. We booked the room, set off and arrived at the hotel around 4:30 pm.

We found the hotel quite easily and the onsite parking was well sign posted. However, we were unable to find a parking space so I drove out, parked in a side road and went into the hotel to check-in. The woman on reception who attended to me was alone (I didn’t get her name as her name badge appeared to say ‘Trainee’). I provided my details and she confirmed that I had a reservation at the hotel. I requested the eStandby option when I booked the room, so I enquired as to whether the room was available. The person on reception came across as having no idea what I was talking about and confirmed the original booking. When I pressed her about the upgrade that I had expressed a preference in, she stated that the hotel was full and carried on with the booking with no explanation or acknowledgment that she understood my enquiry.

I asked about parking to make sure that there were no other parking facilities available but again sh appeared as if she didn’t understand what I had asked her about and directed me to the parking facilities that I had already been to. I confirmed that I had been to the onsite parking facility attached to the building, and stated that the car park was full. I asked for any alternative parking facilities and was given some vague directions to an alternative car park. I noticed a surface level car park on my way to the hotel so I completed the check-in process and headed towards the surface level car park.

When we checked into the room, everything on surface appeared fine, but then we started to notice little things that were just not quite right.

In the bathroom, there was a double switch that looked as if it operated some lights (I thought that these switches were not allowed in a bathroom, so I didn’t flick them to find out what it was for)!

Some of the furniture in the bedroom was grubby, tarnished with scuff marks; the side of the bedside unit had not been cleaned. The curtains were grubby as if they hadn’t been cleaned for a while and there was a curtain hook missing, which meant the curtains didn’t quite close properly. The wall near the curtains was stained and the wall paper was peeling off. The desk/dressing unit had a hole in in it where what appears to be a missing vent.

This room just appeared to be very much unloved and I was extremely surprised that these things were not picked up by housekeeping.

Shortly after checking in to the room I took a shower. The water pressure of the shower was really poor. I could have had a cold shower with moderate flow or a hot (not scalding) shower but with water pressure that was below standard.

I advised my partner that the water pressure was low and he decided to take a bath before we went out later on that evening and even this was a bit of a debacle. The bath took a long time to fill up, but we thought that could be the case as the shower pressure was low. After my partner had a bath, he couldn’t get the plug to release the water (mechanical plug that you have to turn). We tried unsuccessful get the plug to release the water but we were unsuccessful. I was hoping for another shower before we went out that evening but with the bath full of water, that was not an option.

On our way out to reception we advised the person on reception of some of the dissatisfaction we were experiencing, including not being able to release the water from the bath and asked for a room change. We were advised that there were no double rooms available that night for us to move into but were assured that the water from the bath would be released.

When we returned from our evening out we discovered that that bath water had been released, but we didn’t take the chance again of having a bath for the duration of our stay.

There were other thing that just caused even more disappointment such as the dirty throw on the bed, the loose plug socket behind the bedside table and the broken toilet seat with a sharp edge, a single mattress topper on a double bed and dirty/ripped arm chair.

I sent a version of this review to Park Inn shortly after our stay inviting them to look at the photographs we had taken but we didn’t receive a response.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie B
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us, firstly, please accept my personal apologies that your stay did not live up to expectation and sorry to hear you were less than satisfied. If you could contact me directly at maheswaram.thangaraj@rezidorparkinn.com to give me some further information I would be very greatful.

Mahesh

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Torfaen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect for those wanting to visit Cardiff's main attractions - it's within close proximity to the Motorpoint, St David's Shopping Centre, Millennium Stadium and easy transport links to the bay.

The hotel is modern, friendly, clean and great value. The hotels lobby is quite spectacular and definitely gives a great first impression.

The room was fantastic. The bed was large and comfortable and ensured a great nights sleep. The bathroom was clean and more than sufficient! There was also a tv with free view, tea making facilities, wardrobe space and an iron and ironing board.
Room service was quick and reasonably priced as was the downstairs bar.

I'd highly recommend this hotel and would definitely look into booking here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhi5
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with all the facilities that the room had to offer. I have shared your feedback with the rest of my team who are glad that your efforts were appreciated at this platform.
Again, many thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you back when your travel brings you back to the wonderful city.
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We got put up here one night of our tour. We had about 7 hours to sleep, eat, shower and pack for the next day of touring. About midnight (after a long day of sightseeing) we found that our toliet had ceased to work. We had to wait for them to come and see for themselves it did not work and then we had to wait for them to find us another room and then we had to pack and move to the lowest floor and a really poor room to get our last 3 hours of sleep. During the transition the bag of souvenirs was lost. When we contacted the hotel about this they said they were going to check the security footage and get back to us. That was about 5 days ago. I am still waiting. Happy 25th Anniversary to us. Really bad service. Really bad.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here at all
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I do apologise for the experience that you have been through during your stay and we did tried our best to solve the mystery of the missing bag. We did try reporting it to the police on your behalf but they would want you to personally register the issue with them, I can understand that it would be inconvenience for you to call them from Canada, hence I have also emailed you the details on the 3rd June to the email address you gave me over the phone of explaining the details of our investigation & findings and also the email address of south wales police where you can email them directly and log a complaint and we would do our best and provide all the evidence required by the police in order to speedup the process if need to be.
I can understand the frustration that the missing bag must have caused you and I can empathise with you but there is only this much I can do from my end until you have registered your complain with the police.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at maheswaran.thangaraj@rezidorparkinn.com and it will be my pleasure to assist you with.
Mahesh.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Loo door runner was broken, loo doorstop was broken. Shower hose was split. Net curtains were filthy.
All this for £210.00 a night + meals. Total rip-off, I wouldn't stay here again. For a "Hotel" in the centre of Wales' capital city (right outside the indoor arena) it could do with a complete make-over ASAP.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am sorry to see the issues you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that we have taken all internal measures to make sure that these issues don’t re occur.
I hope that this experience doesn’t deter you from using us in the future. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss this issue further directly at the hotel number.
Wales
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed at this Hotel because we were going to a concert at the arena across the road. I found the staff friendly. The check-in was easy and the lady gave clear directions to the room. She also advised us about meal times. The room was clean and fresh. We did need to contact reception to get a remote control for the television. Seems odd that there was not one in the room. Next morning we discovered that there was no hair dryer either. Once again reception quickly sent one up to the room for us. Did the housekeeper fail to check these items were in place, or is it a policy of the Hotel to remove them, and supply only upon request? Strange.
Breakfast was nice. Very weak apple juice and a French fry on the floor under our table.
We have stayed before and hopefully will again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sheilagriffiths18
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review and time in posting it.Very Glad to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with the comfort of walking just across the road for the concert.Just be assured we have taken your comment on board and all the necessary actions has been taken to rectify them.It is not our normal standard of not having the remote and hairdryer in the room.I am investigating to why this happened.Our Hairdryers are normally hanged on the wall next to the TV and we are looking to relocate to a more sensible spot in the room so that our guest could locate and use the as and when they want.Apologies for the inconvienience Caused.Hope the travel gets you back in cardiff and will be very glad to welcome back at the hotel.
Best Regards,
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hotel Park View Raddisson in Cardiff is "tired" and in need of major renovations - AC dripped all night in one room, furnishings are old and in need of replacing, bathrooms need upgrading. Location is excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Park Inn by Radisson Hotels

1 Thank sb8972014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much taking your time in completeing the survey.As you said we are in a very prime location and just a stone throw away from the MotorPoint Arena and the St.David 2 city centre shopping.Just be assured your comments are heard and we are constantly working to improve our bedroom product.So sorry to hear the Aircon was leaking in your room which has been attended and fixed now.Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if i could be any useful to you in the near future.
Thank you once again for your review.