“More hotels should be like this”

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The other review of this hotel are fairly accurate. I didn't get his name, but the gentleman on reception was excellent. He delivered the kind of service that most hoteliers have forgotten about.
Our room was an executive one. Superking bed, flatscreen TV, decorated in a very traditional way. We were almost at the front of the hotel and in all honesty the noise was tremendous. If I were to review the town of Cardiff then I would say it was fantastic but avoid like the plague on a Saturday night. What was otherwise a laid back happy city, suddenly became an aggressive dirty city. The toilets in bars and restaurants were filthy, every bar seemed to have a pay at the door policy. And Saturday night at the Marriot was a noisy affair. But I always sleep with ear plugs so no worries for me. The slamming of the doors when housekeeping were at work was difficult though.
Housekeeping- I am an avid reader in the bath, on the first day I realised that my book was missing from the bathroom. I found it by the bed- with a bookmark. That's quality service. They really were very good.
To surmise, the atmosphere in this hotel was welcoming and traditional. The service was high quality, there is room for improvememt. A few tiny niggles:-
1. Only one pack of biscuits left in the room, should be one each.
2. Clean but the plastic plant was very very dusty
3.Nice room but the bathroom was cheapy. The plumbing beneath the sink could've been boxed in, cheap shower attachment, small bath (although not too shallow like some hotels)
4. Too darn hot!
5. Noisy (but what do you expect with such an excellent location)

I LOVED IT!

Room Tip: Like they say, go to the back, or take earplugs!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,516)

Reviewed 9 September 2011

I have staid at the Marriott a few times now in the last few months. Each time I have had a room with two double beds overlooking John Lewis, so no issues with noise from pubs or restaurants on the other side of the hotel. Accessing the car park can be tricky, each time my sat nav hasvtried to send me down a bus lane, but I have the hang of it now. Rooms are comfy and clean. I have had room service a couple of times for dinner and each time it hasvbeen really good - arrived hot with everything I ordered.
The breakfast is fine, typical hotel breakfast choices. The hotel has a great location, bars, restaurants and shops easily accessible, an all round good choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2011

If you are thinking of going to Cardiff then go! It is a great place especially for us girls who love to shop! We stayed at the Cardiff Marriott on a great deal we got with Expedia.
The hotel is in a great location near to the start of all the shops (new John Lewis 100yds) and lovely choice of restaurants. The car park is a bit expensive for overnight but with the rate we got which included breakfast it worked out well and we did not use the car until we returned home as you can walk everywhere. Marriott had good size pool
which our daughter loved and they were getting a very high tech gym re-furbishment which my husband would have loved to have tried but it was not quite ready when we stayed. Rooms are of traditional decor not contemporary like rest of hotel. Staff were good and helpful. Good selection for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This is the fourth time I've stayed at a Marriott hotel this year and this was the third in the UK, so I believe I now have a good idea what to expect. And as a Marriott Rewards member, I have my preferences logged in their system.

So check-in was disappointing. It was efficient, but it was the least welcoming I've experienced this year, with the receptionist saying as little as she needed to to complete the check-in process. She acknowledged my request for a room on a high floor, but it became clear that my request for extra towels and fibre pillows had been ignored. Now providing those things isn't "rocket science", so this was disappointing.

The room was comfortable and the heated towel rail was a bonus. I found the air conditioning to be quiet and kept the temperature at my desired level. Although the hot water temperature in the washbasin was great, for some reason the temperature in the bath/shower only ever reached luke warm. I mentioned this when going out for dinner and was promised that someone would check it out, but it would appear that no-one did. The water pressure was very good though. Now, I can't believe this problem had only just occurred and had probably been reported before. So if you get Room 716, do check it first before unpacking if a hot shower is important to you.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was the usual buffet affair. The bacon did taste strange though. I'm guessing it was down to the preparation method, as it had more of a grilled gammon taste to it.

Check out was quick. Again it could have been more friendly. I wasn't asked if I enjoyed my stay, for example. Had I been asked, I'd have raised the water temperature issue again.

The location is good. A short walk from the main train station and if you follow the hotel's instructions to the letter, you will reach the hotel directly.

A few years ago, the Marriott would have been a first choice of hotel in Cardiff, but you are now spoiled for choice at the four star level, so I think this hotel needs to refresh its customer service to maintain its position in the city.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at the Marriott while on a city break in Cardiff, the location was perfect for what we wanted, in the city centre. The car park seemed secure but was a bit expensive. The lady at checking was friendly and advised us on restaurants to eat that night.

Our room was on the fourth floor and you need to ask for one at the back of the hotel. Although this overlooks the train line, a room at the front would overlook the late night bar area which looked very noisy. The room was a good standard exactly what you expect from Marriott.

Breakfast was the average English Breakfast fare. I used the Health Spa a couple of times and this was clean and of a good standard..

All in all the staff were helpful and when we go back to Cardiff we will use the Marriott again,

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This hotel is a lovely hotel clean very central location ,staff friendly nothing is too much trouble for them, the food is very good and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Booked an offer for two double beds in one room for two nights, very good deal.
Hotel is situated in Mill Street, in the centre of Cardiff, very handy for all the shops and arcades, restaurants and nightlife. We drove to Cardiff and had a slight problem locating the Hotel even with Sat Nav as it located on a one way system and you actually have to enter the Bus Lane in order to get on the right one way road, then we missed the left turn as it was blocked with taxi's and buses so had to go all around the one way system in order to try again which can be a bit frustrating when you are tired from travelling, however once found we were able to park the car in their car park and leave it for the two days (£14 per day).
Ate in the Hotel that night as the weather was not very good, very good French Style cooking, (can be a little rich for some taste buds as the French use a lot of butter in their cooking), but the hot fondant chocolate pudding was to die for!!! Good Service.
Next day (Saturday) caught a bus (Number 7) (cost £1.50 for one way or £3.00 for an all day use as many times as you like ticket) right outside the Hotel which took us to Mermaid Quay which is in the Tiger Bay area, (twenty minute walk otherwise). This area has been very well developed and is suitable for shopping, restaurants, boat trips around the harbour, Techniqest museum. We did a boat trip which lasted 45 minutes and cost £5. There was a commentary which was interesting and easily understood and was well worth the money. You can get off at Penarth on the other side of the harbour and pick the same boat up for return journey later in the day. On the day we were there it was a Bank Holiday weekend and there was a festival on in the area which included a market with lots of interesting craft and food stalls, a fish-market demonstration (free but donations welcome) and a lots of things and events happening during the day. We left in the afternoon and returned to the Hotel with our goodies then headed into Cardiff city centre to explore the Victorian arcades with their interesting small individual shops and purchased an Italian ice cream from the delicatessen in the Royal Arcade. The ice cream is 50% fat free and to 'die for' it is beautiful. (As you can tell I am a foodie with a sweet tooth!)
Asked at our Hotel for a recommendation for a good fish restaurant in walking distance of the Hotel and was recommended "Madeira" a Portuguese style restaurant but booking is recommended. It was excellent truly authentic with a great atmosphere, very busy but service was 'spot on' and the price very reasonable.
Everyone in the Hotel was very helpful and pleasant, the accommodation was very good.
We pre-booked and paid extra to have breakfast in the Hotel each morning, good selection of buffet food help yourself to as much as you wanted, empty dishes/plates removed quickly from our table and fresh tea/coffee brought quickly. Good service.
The only reason The Hotel didn't get 5 stars is late at night there was a definite' boom boom boom 'from a disco in the street nearby which is not the Hotels fault but was the only downside and was overcome with earplugs. Take note when you collect your car from the car park you leave at the rear of the Hotel onto the one way system which entails you completing another lap of the city centre in order to collect your luggage and passengers, so if you can all make your way to the car with luggage that would help. (You have 15 minutes from leaving the reception having had your car parking ticket validated to exiting the car park, so make plans first before doing this. Very enjoyable may very well return.

Room Tip: Searched online sites but booked direct with Hotel to get good deal.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends