“Excellent stay”

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Booked my room 3 months in advance for the Christmas party in December. Paid only £89 for the room which I felt was value for money. Didnt purchase breakfast as there are lots of cheap places to eat outside. We opted for the Greggs £2 meal deal across the road in Chippy alley.

Upon arrival we were advised we had been upgraded due to the membership of the marriott loyalty card. We stayed in the executive suite. Lovely and clean, large room. No mini bar and ice was a few floors away. The pool is very small and we didnt stay in it long in the pool as it was overcrowded.

The location is excellent, just by John Lewis. On checkout we left our bags with the porter and did all our christmas shopping. Cant comment on the food as we eat at the christmas party.

However we really enjoyed our stay. I think at £89 we had excellent value and it is a great location. However in comparision to the premier inn I always feel the marriott is overpriced and a little dated.

The bed in the suite was massive.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for one night on NYD. We booked an executive room with clubroom access, but was contacted by email shortly before our stay to say that the hotel was going to be quiet so the club lounge was going to be closed, but that they would offer us 2 free drinks each. I contacted the hotel as I did not feel that 2 drinks equated to the price we were paying for the room. We were going to cancel our booking but decided to change it to a room without club access. As a Marriott rewards member I asked for an early check in and also an executive room on a low floor.
When we arrived at the hotel our room was not ready so we stored our luggage and went for a walk, we asked to use the leisure club, but the staff were unsure whether it was open.
We ended up going to the cinema and then arrived back at the hotel about 5pm. I asked if our luggage had been taken to our room but we were told that they were not sure, so we took our own luggage to the room.
When we arrived in our room we were very disappointed. Considering the room was an executive room it was very dated and there was no internet, no water, no coffee machine, no ipad docking station and one packed of biscuits between us (I am saying this because this is what we had in an executive room the night before at the Novotel).
Considering we had been told the hotel was quiet we also could not understand why we had been given a disabled room with pull cords next to the bed. The bathroom was also very dated and looked grubby aka bad nursing home.
The shower was too big/powerful for the tiny shower base and I dont know what they think the shower curtain is do as the water floods the whole bathroom. If you are going to offer disabled access room then surely a wet room would be better and more fit for purpose.
We wanted to eat at the hotel restaurant in the evening as it was NYD there was not alot open in Cardiff, but when we got downstairs the restaurant was closed for a private party. We had not been informed of this prior to our booking or when we checked in. We had not option but to leave the hotel and find somewhere to have a meal.
Breakfast was ok in the morning, but I was not able to eat much as I had ordered an omlette and it took soo long for it to be made that it is all I had time for. The hotel was quiet, but I think the chef was doing room service as well as I dont know how she had soo many omlettes to make when there was only a few people in the restaurant. My partner ordered bolied eggs and these took over 30 mins as well.
I mentioned that we were disappointed at check out that we had not been informed the restaurant was closed and all was said was "oh yes you could have eaten in the bar though". If this is the case why werent we advised of this when we checked in.
All I can say is that we were disappointed with everything.
We stayed at the Novotel the night before and their executive room, breakfast, restaurant and health suite was fantastic and I will be staying there from now on.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
FOMCardiffMarriott, Front Office Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused. We would like to look into this matter in detailed appreciate if you could pm us your information and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Marriott with a couple of friends over the new year period. We asked to be situated next door to each other on a high floor and were given this with no problem. We were given directions for the car park from a receptionist which we found easily. Check in was fast. Our rooms were spotless and we were impressed by our maid, Annalise, on having cleaned and prepared our room while we were at breakfast. Our bed was really comfortable and the room was quiet. We found the staff to be welcoming and helpful. Loved the pool. This is an ideal hotel, the location being perfect for visiting Cardiff's fantastic shops, bars and restaurants and great to be able to leave our car securely in the hotel car park. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: High level rooms (6th floor) are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 days from Boxing Day. Generally good experience.
Could have done with more staff in bar and restaraunt was closed at dinner time .
Gym and pool great with friendly staff
On balance would havr expected more for our special day

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here with my partner on Saturday 28th December for my birthday and was quite disappointed. Firstly, the whole corridor and lifts stunk of smoke which was an instant turn off. The decor was very dated, including the bedrooms. In my room the curtains were hanging off and in one of the beds the sheets were dirty - this is not what i expect for paying 89 pounds a night. Another issue with this hotel is that you have to pay an extra 15 pounds to park, which I personally think is wrong. The prices of the breakfasts are also disgusting and not worth the money.
On the other hand the staff are very welcoming and the downstairs bar is lovely. The location is great.

I was very disappointed with my stay and would never stay here again - absolute waste of money

1  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed New Year's Eve and it was our first time in Cardiff. Location perfect. We phoned when we were nearby and graham the head porter came out to meet us and show us the car park. Car park very secure. Check in was smooth. We were 3 hours early but no problem, we were made to feel very welcome . The room, 619, was faultless. Spacious spotless with everything we needed. Top marks to our maid, Annalise for preparing our room to such a high standard. We had a room only stay so can't comment on food or drink, but the bar area looked welcoming and friendly. As we had not been to Cardiff before we were unsure where to go to see the fireworks, I asked the security lady at the front door, Sarah, she said she will find out and let me know. I returned 10 mins later and Sarah had a map for me, with address of location of firework display, Sarah had also written down directions. A really nice approach by a lady who took the time to look after us. Thank you Sarah. The bed was super comfortable and no noise at all. Room was just faultless. Checkout was easy and quick. We would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel and it's staff to anyone wanting a safe friendly hotel for your visit to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Room 619 has a good view of millennium stadium.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. With an exceptional level of hospitality is our main focus, the Cardiff Marriott team strive to provide the best possible service to our guests. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. From behalf of the entire Cardiff Marriott team I would like to thank you for taking time to provide us this wonderful detailed hotel review and individually recognize our associates` efforts. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I'm told that this is not the best or nicest hotel in Cardiff, but it's not bad either, and as I was here on business, i.e., not paying for it personally, it was "okay" "average".

My biggest issue, as a business traveller, was the fact that they charge you 15£ per 24 hrs for access to the internet. When I mentioned that the majority of hotels now include intranet/wi-fi access for free (or at least hide it in the rate :) ) the front desk staff informed me that Marriotts across the UK do not yet offer this as other hotels do. (Interesting as the Marriott I stayed at in London did offer it free, but the Heathrow Airport Hotel did not -policy is inconsistent?). So...make sure to add 15£ to the room rate when considering to stay here if access to the intranet is important to you.

The room is what you would expect from a three star Marriott. Nothing spectacular but nothing to really complain about either. It's a bit tired looking; the decor is old and there is too much furniture in the room - making it feel cluttered. The windows (outside of) were grimy, making it un-appealing to look outside...but there's no view to speak of so this wasn't a big deal. On the positive side - it was clean, the bed was comfortable, and housekeeping is very good.

The breakfast buffet is very good - hot and cold. It's worth it to take it as part of the rate. I loved that I could get it to go - they have little bags that allow you to pick up some items to go, i.e.,croissants (which were surprisingly very good!)

Location, as a business traveller, was good. Great restaurants just across the street (try the Corner House). Shopping in the area was excellent ...it was nice to discover stores that we don't have in Canada. Walking along the pedestrian shopping area was a good way to unwind after a long day.

Essentially, I won't complain when I have to stay here again on business, but I would not choose this hotel as a first choice if I'm paying for it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business