“Convenient location”

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here as we had a conference in the motopoint and were arriving by train. Clean comfortable in a very convenient spot- very central. Despite this the room was quiet. To park would have been £15 a night! Wifi in the room £6 an hour and £15 a day- does it really cost that much to supply wi fi? I believe it was free in the foyer. Reception staff pleasant and efficient. We would stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We enjoyed a 2 night stay her whilst visiting friends and were happy with the location and hospitality.
Ideal for travelling around the city and clean and comfortable rooms.
Would stay again if back in the area.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Like other reviewers, we stayed for the Wales v Scotland rugby weekend - a test for any hotel and its staff!!! :-)
Richard the Concierge and the reception staff always greeted us with a smile and we were well looked after regardless of how busy the staff were, and I doubt the hotel is ever busier.
Marriott beds and breakfasts were fab as always.
Looking forward to returning.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I guess I should have read the reviews before booking the hotel but I am a Marriott Platinum member. The good: the location is great as everyone else says, it is walking distance to everything in Cardiff from the train station to the bay to the castle and tons of bars and restaurants. The room was ok and the bathroom was functional. The bad: I was on the executive floor and it was anything but executive. The lounge was fair, food fair, selection poor - same thing every day (for all I know they just repackaged it and set it out the next day). I made a comment one morning and the person just smiled. Another interesting point, the security peek hole in the door is so high that at 5'8" I had to stand on toes - I can't think of any woman who could look through it. I made a mention of it downstairs at the front desk and again no comment just a smile (thinks must be funny in Cardiff). The Ugly: Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night the party on my floor started at midnight and went on until 2pm. Doors slamming, people running in the hallway, people slamming (not to put too fine of point on it, but if you're a screamer in a hotel, put a pillow over your head). I had to wake up early on Friday morning so I called downstairs at 1am; nothing happened. On Friday morning I went downstairs and told them to do something, this was the response from one of the guys at the front desk, quote "I got in at 5am this morning and didn't sleep before I came into work." I don't care and you should be let go for that type of answer. From the lounge I got, "oh last week was rugby week, it was much louder." Yes there is outside club and train noise but it was drowned out by the people turning up the TV. Next the pot smoking. I complained about it on Friday and Saturday but nothing happened again. I can't believe the cleaning people did not do something about it, unless it was different people in the rooms. Oh and don't get me started on the internet, or lack there of :) Marriott and the staff should be ashamed
So to close this out, don't stay there unless you want to party because its a perfect location and heck maybe you'll get lucky with a drunk. I have to come back to Cardiff for work. I WILL NOT be staying here.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel if you want to sleep
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Omni99
FOMCardiffMarriott, Front Office Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for your review of the Cardiff Marriott Hotel. I am sorry that your expectations were not met during your recent stay. We value your Elite Platinum membership. Your feedback is important to us and also this gives us an opportunity to address the concerns and re look at the service and facilities. Please PM the hotel directly with your details. I would like to personally look into this. Once again please accept my sincere apology behalf of the Cardiff Marriott team for the inconveniences caused.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have just returned from a stay at the Marriot in Cardiff for the Rugby. first the location was fantastic right in the heart of the shopping district with all the restaurants, bars and entertainment on the door step. we were met by a Concierge (sorry didn't get his name)but he was fanatastic organising everything from spa, to drinks etc top class, Jamie on reception was fantastic ensuring we had all we needed. The bar staff deserve a special mention as they were under siege from the welsh and the scots alike and coped admirably a top class service was provided and appreciated.
thanks to all the staff the Marriot should be very proud to have you all in the team.

lynn

Room Tip: room 414 was quiet with a good air con system.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Location can't be beat. It's right on the main pedestrian area in the center of Cardiff and only a five minute walk from Cardiff Central train station.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Room service pizza was terrible, I couldn't actually eat it, so lost 10 GBP just like that. The fries and mashed potatoes were good though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ryan D
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed with 2 other couples for a weekend in executive rooms. The evening drinks and canapés as well as free wifi worth the upgrade .

The location is excellent right in the centre next to John Lewis and St David's Central for shopping .

Lots of restaurants and bars all within walking distance .

A lovely walk or jog to the Marina or to The Castle .

The hotel could use a makeover but the room with king bed was clean and well appointed . Breakfast was plentiful and a good selection of fruits, cereals and eggs made to order .

Dinner in the hotel restaurant advertised as in partnership with River Cottage was disappointing . We all had 3 courses and the entrees and mains were all average . The dessert platter was the highlight .

The gym was well equipped and a good sauna .

The staff at reception were all extremely courteous and friendly .

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an executive club room as it is on a higher floor and not troubled by the noise of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends