“Disappointed by an Old Favourite”

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Hampshire, UK
“Disappointed by an Old Favourite”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Have used this hotel several times over last 20 years and have always been impressed. However, were sorry to see that there is no longer a mini-bar in the room we had, the TV did not work properly and neither did the aircon (too cool). My husband was not impressed with Reception when his car park ticket did not work. He needed to back up from the exit (with another car behind him), re-park and return to get the ticket re-validated by a receptionist who didn't appear to grasp the annoyance of the situation. Similarly, when neither of our card keys would open our room door, I telephoned down to reception (from lobby of 10th floor) to be told I could either wait for a member of staff but that would take about 10 minutes, or I could go to reception to get cards re-validated. After an afternoon's sightseeing, it was just another irritance. The room had a wonderful view across the city but the windows were filthy. In their favour, the hotel were accommodating with storing a birthday cake and balloons for my husband's 60th and bringing them out at breakfast. So thank you for that. However, I think it is time to try another hotel for future stays.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bearsey30
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Bearsey30,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read about your recent experience and I would like to apologise for any shortfalls during your last stay with us . I will share your comments with our team. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Marriott Hotel in Cardiff in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Well the hotel was superb, we normally go to my dad's aunt and uncles but they were away when we visited Cardiff. So we decided to stay at this hotel because it is near Cardiff Central station and useful. We managed to get a top floor twin bedroom with superb views of the millennium stadium and the city centre. The staff were polite and friendly and everything was what I expected.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Reasonable hotel with friendly staff but thought the rooms were a bit tired and not great value for money. The breakfast is ok but the bar is quite expensive. The TV system was not operating correctly and the radio function did not work. Also on the 2nd day the room entry key did not operate and it's such a pain to go back in the lift from the 5th floor back to reception to revalidate the key. Watch out for extra costs £15 for overnight parking and a ridiculous £6 per hour for room wifi. Really crazy price for something you expect to be included these days which you get gratis is much lesser hotels.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stevewood2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was mine & my neighbours 3rd visit to this hotel. Its our little get away from Plymouth to shop, eat & drink loads. The staff are very friendly & nothings ever too much trouble, the rooms are very comfortable but can get a little hot. It can get a little noisy from the bars opposite but this doesn't bother me. The pool area's great & breakfast has always been lovely. I can't comment on the parking as we travel by train & apart from breakfast I've never eaten in the bar. The hotel is central to everything we want to do but sadly this will probably be our last visit as we use Tesco vouchers & have been told that the Marriot have pulled out of Tesco. I'd like to have some feedback as to why this has happened? The Marriot is obviously full of paying customers & now has no room for Tesco clubcard holders!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear LisaM920,
I am delighted to see you are a returning guest of ours. Cardiff is great for shopping and entertainment, isn’t it? Marriott and Tesco in the UK have been in partnership for a long time. We have been offering attractive deals to our valued mutual customers in partnership with Tesco for a couple of years now. Even though we decided not to accept Tesco Tokens any more, we are still offering promotional rates which I hope will be to your liking and I am looking forward to welcoming you again to the Cardiff Marriott soon.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great hotel with one of the best locations right in the centre of town! The most unique thing is it's own dedicated parking. That was probably the best feature about the hotel as parking is a nightmare in town especially! The staff are welcoming so long as you are a guest at the hotel. If you want information and you're a guest don't bother as some of the staff on reception aren't very helpful.
Saying that the rest is relatively reasonable and normal, as you'd expect for a hotel with this sort of location.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Tr4veller365
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel last night and the hotel and facilities are very good, check in was quick and staff very attentive. Room was nice and spacious and pretty much to the Marriott standard. Had a couple of beers in the bar and prices lower than my local at home so very pleased. There was however two issues which might make me try another hotel in the area. 1 the air con in my room would not switch to cooling however hard I tried ( I am a cooling specialist by trade and know exactly how to operate the system) and therefore had to sleep with the window open. 2. After ordering the rib eye steak for dinner, there was only two mouthfuls of the steak that actually was not gristle. Marriott state that they are now in partnership with river cottage and their meals are inspired by local produce, to be honest I would not have fed the steak to my dog. I appreciate I could have complained and probably got another meal, but after a four hour drive I was too tired and really Marriott, your chef should have not sent it out. Shame really as the hotel is very nice and would have got five stars without these issues

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rossandlinda
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Rossandlinda,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad the staff and the facilities were to your liking. I understand you are a specialist in air conditioning and I can imagine your frustration as you could not solve the problem yourself. I do apologise for the inconvenience.
Regarding your dish from the restaurant I am awfully sorry that it was not up to the desired standards. I know after a busy trip the only thing you wish is a nice meal in a relaxing ambient and I am sorry we could not live up to this. Next time, please do speak to us and we will try our best to fix your problem as fast and conveniently as we can for you.
Cardiff
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We attended a wedding in Cardiff and stayed overnight at the Marriott.

The hotel has an excellent location, very near the main railway station and adjacent to the bistro quarter of Cardiff.

We were warmly welcomed by the reception staff and without exception all the staff were friendly and helpful.

Our bedroom was a good size with the usual amenities and the soundproofing was excellent, no noise from outside whatsoever. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

The breakfast was one of the best we have ever had in a hotel and talking to fellow guests who had eaten dinner in the "river cottage" restaurant that was also very good.

So, an excellent choice for anyone wanting a hotel base in Cardiff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family